Windows 10: [Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work

Discus and support [Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have 4 laptops and 1 tablet eligible for Windows 10 upgrade and I upgraded them all. On one system (Windows 10 Home, upgraded from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cameos, Aug 3, 2015.

1. cameos Win User

[Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work

Hello,

I have 4 laptops and 1 tablet eligible for Windows 10 upgrade and I upgraded them all.

On one system (Windows 10 Home, upgraded from a Windows 8.1 Home laptop I bought 6 months ago), Search in "Settings" never returned anything, I always got "No results for ...". For example, when I searched for "update", it showed:

[Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work [​IMG]

On my other 4 systems, they correctly found some items:

[Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work [​IMG]

At first I thought Windows 10 might have been building index for search, but 4 days after I upgraded to Windows 10 (and I use this computer everyday) it still does not work.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

:)

cameos, Aug 3, 2015

2. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

As I said in my first post you can either try to update it's software to see if it cures it.

If it doesn't then your phone is faulty and you will need to get it repaired.

psychomania---01, Aug 3, 2015
  3. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

i contacted nokia who replied :

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

I appreciate your feedback. However, at the moment the Nokia Software Updater does not support Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070.

In response to your email, there are no issues with Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070. Please take both phones to your nearest Nokia Care Point. The technicians will assess if a repair is required and advise if this may be covered under the warranty.

went to carphone warehouse & explained the problem,

the lady i dealt with told me that this IS a problem she has seen over & over again.

because the phone was still within the 14day period they exchanged it for a different handset [for which i needed to fork out another load of £££'s. guess i should've spent more in the first place!!]

i asked what they will do with my returned phone,

she said it'll be added to the collection of them which need to send back to nokia.

perhaps nokia are in denial cause they havent had the stores returns yet?

anyway,

i hope everyone else will be fortunate enough to get a replacement.

kareldevelop, Aug 3, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Maybe should try rebuilding the index? In the Start menu search bar, type "index" and click "Indexing Options". In the Indexing Options, click the "Advanced" button and click the "Rebuild" button, then click "OK" on the information dialog. The search will be unavailable for a few minutes and the Indexing Options window may become unresponsive.

5. cameos Win User
    Thanks, tried rebuilding index... waited till the rebuilding finished and I still have "no result for ...".

cameos, Aug 3, 2015
  6. cameos Win User
    Update: meanwhile I got "try another user" suggestion from Microsoft technet forum, so I created a new user and switched to it, the new user has got search results so he does not have this issue. I then switch back to my old account and see the "no results" problem again.

cameos, Aug 3, 2015
  7. AveYo Win User
    Check if Windows Search service is running [ Command Prompt (Admin): services.msc ]

AveYo, Aug 3, 2015
  8. cameos Win User

Yes it's running (the service is configured "automatic(delayed start)")

cameos, Aug 3, 2015
  9. fongfoo Win User
    Hi. I had this problem after a clean install of Win10, and the only way I solved it (after doing sfc /scannow and DISM checks and rebuilding my index) was to go to the Win10 download ISO page, downloading the ISO and running it to "upgrade" my existing Win10 build, keeping all my apps and settings. After 45 minutes of churning, I got my Settings search box to work the way it was supposed to.

fongfoo, Oct 1, 2015
  10. cameos Win User
    After I asked for solution here and on MS' official support forum, this issue was not resolved, until today I read this article:

Fix search does not work in PC Settings app in Windows 10

http://winaero.com/blog/fix-search-d...in-windows-10/

and it DID fix my issue.

cameos, Nov 20, 2015
  11. Yakumo Win User
    Thank you !!

Yakumo, Dec 4, 2015
  12. AndreyT Win User
    The first thing to check in this case is whether you have content indexing enabled for drive C: (in the Properties if C: drive). If you disable context indexing for C:, this is exactly what will happen: Search in Settings will never find anything.

The above link to winaero.com explains that in order to enable Search in Settings functionality it is not really necessary to index the entire C:, just

%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

folder is sufficient. But if you wish, you can enable indexing for the whole C: and it should fix the issue as well (if that's the root cause, of course).

AndreyT, Dec 4, 2015
  13. PeterM Win User

This fixed mine also. Was driving me nuts. Thank you!!

PeterM, Feb 4, 2016
  14. nekomaou Win User
    nekomaou, Feb 23, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Search needs to index sthg in Users in order to index Settings. If you change this in Control Panel, Indexing Options, it will cause a problem like this.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work - Similar Threads - Resolved Search Settings

2. Windows 11 Settings App - Search does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Settings App - Search does not work: The search function within my Settings app does not work. I have up to date Windows 11 22H2. I have tried DISM restore health SFC scannow and it does not make any difference.Note: Searching through Windows and the taskbar works as normal.Any advice?...
  3. Windows 11 Settings App - Search does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Settings App - Search does not work: The search function within my Settings app does not work. I have up to date Windows 11 22H2. I have tried DISM restore health SFC scannow and it does not make any difference.Note: Searching through Windows and the taskbar works as normal.Any advice?...
  4. Windows search and settings does not work keeps loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search and settings does not work keeps loading: Currently having troubles with my window search and settings it does not work it just keep loading Anyone can help badly needed. I did try some fix from google like the regedit 'BingSearchEnabled' nothing happens. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  5. Settings search not working

Settings search not working: My settings search is not working it keeps showing no result . I have tried everything sfc scan, dism scan , troubleshoot searching index. I found out that SearchUi.exe is suspended . How should I fix this? Also if I create a new account the settings search works...
  6. Search does not work inside Windows 10 Settings

Search does not work inside Windows 10 Settings: Hi, I can see this matter has been discussed several times on the internet. Nonetheless there seems to be no final answer or solution for it. The problem is, the search function inside Windows 10 Settings does not work. I saw there are mainly 2 solutions offered online:...
  7. Search in Settings App does not work

Search in Settings App does not work: When I type something in the search box in the settings app, such as cmd, nothing returns and it states that it cannot find anything. This has never happened to me before and I have tried everything except reinstall which I'm not going to do anytime soon. Reinstall is too...
  8. Search Settings not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Settings not working: When I go in the Windows settings app and search for something, it just says "No results for blank". [ATTACH] After a bit of research, I found that the problem might be that my "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState"...
  9. searching Windows settings does not work

in Cortana
    searching Windows settings does not work: I used to be able to search and find bluetooth or other settings from the search bar or within Windows settings. Now searching for bluetooth or mouse results in a 'no results' message. When searching from the search bar Cortana? I've tried using the settings filter with...
  10. Settings search not working

in Cortana
    Settings search not working: I'm not getting any results, even though it appears to be searching for quite a long time, given how easy it hopefully is for a computer. So how can I make it work? What exact circumstances need to be met, in order for search in settings to work? I'm on Windows...