Windows 10: [RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names?

Discus and support [RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; As stated in the title, all of a sudden my SSD-WIN10PRO - booted in VMware - is creating unknown usernames e.g.: [img] [img] [img] [img]... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017.

1. M4v3r1ck Win User

[RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names?

As stated in the title, all of a sudden my SSD-WIN10PRO - booted in VMware - is creating unknown usernames e.g.:

[RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names? [​IMG]

I've disabled above user for now.

Even though working with a booted SSD in VMware for many years, I've never seen this before. I have no idea why or what is causing this, every time deleting the account, but it keeps coming back with another username. I can't manage to find a direction to check what process is responsible for this. Help much appreciated.

Cheers

:)

M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017
  2. Riel Alc Win User

How to reassign ownership/permission from one user (deleted) to another systematically in Windows 10

Hi Roland,

The Account Unknown user account is an user account that was created and then deleted at some point. This usually appears because "S-1-5-21......." is no longer stored as user account.

For more information about Account Unknown, please check the following thread:

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Feb 20, 2017
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Feb 20, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

When does it come back? Immediately or when you reboot? You could have a look in Event Viewer for Event ID 614 (New user created) and see if it gives any clue.

You could also have a look in AutoRuns and see if there is a start up task that is creating a user on startup/logon. Look under "Everything" after selecting "Hide Microsoft Entries" on the "View" tab and see if there is anything odd looking. Like in this case...https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-59e78ce027ec

Probably a virus/malware scan would be wise also.

5. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Hi, thanks so much for your quick reply, much appreciated. It's even copying my own user account "username" to "username1". I need to boot without internet connection and review your options. Oh boy, what's happening? I'll send in a ticket at ESET forums ASAP. This is really spinning out of control now! *Shock

Will report back asap!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017
  6. M4v3r1ck Win User
    1. No event ID 614 (New user created).

2. Running ESET "in depth scan" as admin now.

To be continued...

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017
  7. M4v3r1ck Win User
    3. Running WD Periodic Scanning at the same time now....

M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Have you thought about you system being hacked.....because that sure does look like it has been. There should never ever under any circumstances that you have mysterious user accounts created unless (you/owner) created them.

Either your VM or main system has been compromised....and it looks to be remotely. Run every spyware/malware/junkware and AV you have and see what they report. I've had some success with "Norton Power Eraser" for hard to get rid of and deeply embedded malicious software. And even then there's no guarantee that it's gone.

The only sure way is to format the drive and do a clean install......which I would recommend doing after you've tried everything else.

Plankton, Feb 20, 2017
  9. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Yes, for 101% I'm thinking about the possibility of being hacked/compromised, but I'm running the advised checks maintenance first now step-by-step.

2a. ESET SS reported a clean system!

M4v3r1ck, Feb 20, 2017
  10. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Update | Work in progress!

3a. WD Periodic Scanning returned clean!

4. Ran Process Explorer, and turned on the VirusTotal check -> found 3 issues, but for all processes only 1 AV Engine detected it! ESET reported all clean, so no worries?

- The 2nd is a process from Speccy System Info v1.29.714 (64) application, blocked it with ESET firewall.

M4v3r1ck, Feb 21, 2017
  11. M4v3r1ck Win User
    *** this is an integrated copy of the one I posted on my 3 forums in question ***

UPDATE!
    | SOLVED!

Because I killed the internet connection as soon as I saw the account added, I was not able to check the Anti Theft (AT) status.

ESET, a big thank you to you! It was indeed caused by the AT ghost account, I changed it immediately to another and for me much more recognisable ghost-name! I apologize for my panic-attack.

Pff guys, I'm really sorry for stirring up things around here
    , never had encountered this issues before, since I use ESET AT.

For now all-systems-are-GO! A very BIG thank you for all who tried to help me solve this headache issue!

Note to self: keep better track of your system thingies & RTFM!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. [RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names? - Similar Threads - RESOLVED suddenly creates

2. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  3. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  4. Name Not Resolved 105 Create Google Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name Not Resolved 105 Create Google Account: Name Not Resolved 105 Create Microsoft AccountName Not Resolved 105 Create Google AccountName Not Resolved 105 Google Account Manager Naif Batarfi Huawei P20 Pro...
  5. Strange name in folder under USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  6. dns resolve not existent names to strange ip

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dns resolve not existent names to strange ip: It has been a long time that my computer resolve names to strange ip when resolving not existent names. For example today ping pippo.pluto.paperino resolves to ip 173.45.161.113 see below. Has anybody ever experienced this phenomenon, sometimes very annoying ie test for...
  7. Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab: I happened to look at the Security tab of file properties and noticed a strange "Unknown" user account. The SID isn't listed in the registry under HKEY_Users and doesn't appear in Control Panel User Accounts. Should I delete this account? How can I figure out what it is?...
  8. I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...: How do I change it? It is very annoying with the name not appearing correctly or not being given an option to change this. Microsoft do not tell me it is by design! This is not a great design. It used to work in the previous versions; so don't make it worse in new...
  9. Strange & Unknown User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange & Unknown User Name: When I start up the computer, I get presented with this message "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again." Below that is an "OK" button. The user name displayed is "morga" -- my last name is "morgan". So when I click "OK" it clears off the message, and I get a...
  10. strange name of the user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    strange name of the user folder: hi By the install i give this as e-mail nothing stragen so fare. After install when i look in the user folder directory he have created a folder whit arthu and not arthur why ? 27541