Windows 10: Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

Discus and support Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 How to Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 The explorer.exe process is the user shell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Slartybart, May 10, 2015.

1. Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

How to: Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

How to Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

The explorer.exe process is the user shell for Windows, and is used by such items as the desktop, File Explorer, Start menu, and taskbar. Restarting the explorer.exe process is to stop and start it to effectively refresh explorer.exe. When the explorer.exe process has been stopped (aka: "end task"), you will see a blank black desktop with your mouse pointer showing until explorer.exe has been started again.

The explorer.exe file is located in the C:\Windows folder.

This tutorial will show you how to restart the explorer.exe process as needed in Windows 10.

*note If you have set to turn off hard disk after idle, then you will experience a delay if you restart explorer since you will have to wait for all disks turned off to spin back up and turn on before explorer is restarted.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Automatically Restart explorer.exe Process in Task Manager
    • Option Two: To Manually Restart explorer.exe Process in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Exit Explorer from Taskbar Context Menu
    • Option Four: To Start explorer.exe Process in Task Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] To Automatically Restart explorer.exe Process in Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager.

2. Select Windows Explorer in the Processes tab, and click/tap on the Restart button. (see screenshots below)

OR

2. Right click or press and hold on Windows Explorer, and click/tap on Restart.

3. When finished, you can close Task Manager if you like.

Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Restart explorer.exe Process in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. In the command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter to stop the explorer.exe process. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    3. In the command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter to start the explorer.exe process. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow start explorer.exe

OPTION THREE [/i] To Exit Explorer from Taskbar Context Menu
    1. Press and hold the Shift + CTRL keys, right click or press and hold on the taskbar, release the Shift + CTRL keys, and click/tap on Exit Explorer. (see screenshot below)

2. If you like, you can use Option Four when ready to start explorer.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Start explorer.exe Process in Task Manager

*note This option is for when the explorer.exe process has already been stopped, and you are stuck with a blank black desktop with only your mouse pointer displaying.
    1. Open Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+Esc).

2. Click/tap on File (menu bar), and click/tap on Run new task. (see screenshot below)

3. Type explorer.exe, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Task Manager if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Slartybart, May 10, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

Text Errors

To restart windows explorer via cmd/powershell prompt:

1. Press Windows+X and go to Command Prompt (Admin).

2. To stop the explorer.exe process, type the following command

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

3. To start the explorer.exe process,

start explorer.exe

http://mywindowshub.com/how-to-restart-explorer...

Time Lady, May 10, 2015
  3. Remote Desktop but local task bar won't disappear even using Full Screen as display configuration

I went through all the items in the Processes tab and explorer.exe is no where to be found. I looked under Apps, Background processes, and Windows processes. I see Windows Explorer under Window processes and I hit restart and that seemed to fixed it. Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 :)

thanks!

nickvillamayor, May 10, 2015
  4. JimiDread Win User

Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10

Hi

Nice tutorial but unfortunately, doesn't all go according to plan!
    I had extremely slow transfer speed from an external HDD with circa 60,000 files (8Gb) of XLS/XML/word/text created in Office 2010 from a W7 machine using USB2 that copied form 7 to Ext HDD in about 30minutes total without issue
    the transfer to W10 machine was a joke - for another forum! - but there was an Explorer window hanging for some time so I clicked on red cross and closed it so Explorer shut down and I got Black screen
    I ran CTRL/ALT/DEL to open task manager and then "new task" and "Explorer.exe" as Option 4 above and ....nothiogn changed
    Tried couple more times and still no change.
    Then checked "Processes" and noticed 4xExplorer sessions all doing nothing
    Closed 3 of them and tried Option 1 "Restart" as above and Nothing happened
    Finally I was forced to shut down PC and reboot
    not very clever and after all these years of SW development, its a major step backwards when something this simple fails so badly as is the transfer form HDD to W10 machine - thought W10 was an improvement over W7 but STILL snags that should not exist

JimiDread, Jul 11, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jimi, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you had one stubborn explorer process hanging. If it happens again, end task all explorer processes to see if that may allow you to restart it once they have all finished closing.

Brink, Jul 11, 2016
  6. 91fw Win User
    Hello Brink, one question. I wanted to try your method 2. Just an experiment. Normal user with basic rights - in cmd windows explorer stopped and started just fine. But when I, still as basic user, did cmd > Run as Administrator, explorer stopped fine, but does not start again. And so the only thing remaining on the screen is the command windows. Icons, taskbar, shortcuts, all gone. Any idea why?

91fw, Nov 9, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello 91fw, *Smile

I just tested on my system to see it there may have been a bug, and it worked for me, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't start for you again as well. It doesn't matter if the commands are used in a command prompt or elevated command prompt.

Did you repeat the start explorer.exe command to see if it may work after a second time?

Brink, Nov 9, 2016
  8. 91fw Win User

Yes, I did repeat. See photograph - you may have to zoom in. I dislike puzzles like this.

91fw, Nov 9, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It should, so I'm not sure why it didn't.

You can press Shift+Ctrl+Esc to open Task Manager. Next, click on File (menu bar), click on Run new task, type explorer, and click/tap on OK to restart explorer using OPTION FOUR instead.

Brink, Nov 9, 2016
  10. 91fw Win User
    Thanks for attaching my picture. I did allow this site to use javascript in NoScript, no idea why I had trouble. Back to explorer - yes, I know I can do it via Task manager. But I'm specifically interested in this method 2, because I smell something isn't correct. It should work. Might there be ownership issue? rights issue? Perhaps you can offer some hints of thing what might be responsible. Oh, and thanks for your wonderful tutorials. Windows10 would be unuseable without so many of them.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome. I'm glad that they could help. *Smile

It may be a temporary glitch on your system. You might see if it still does the same after a restart.

Brink, Nov 9, 2016
  12. 91fw Win User
    Brink, not temporary, and no change after restart.
    What was your basic user's UAC setting when you had no issues starting explorer from elevated cmd?

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

UAC was set to the default setting.

When you restart the computer, is it starting up into Windows as usual or a blank screen still. If still a blank screen, then you have some other issue at hand since restarting should allow it to startup normally if it was just explorer stopped.

You might see if you may be able to boot to advanced startup, and do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you had this issue to fix it.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Nov 10, 2016
  14. 91fw Win User
    I have no problem restarting. No blank screens, nothing that like that. It's just that the explorer refuses to be restarted, which I have to do in Task Mgr by reaching it by ctl-alt-del or shift-ctl-esc.
    I wonder if you can spend few more minutes for me. Be a normal, limited, user, but set your UAC to Always Alert=MAX.
    then as a normal user start elevated cmd, do the taskkill and restart routine, the Option 2. PLEASE!!! My UAC is at Max.

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I get the same under the same situation.

I find that when UAC is not set to default, it will cause all sorts of permission issues such as this.

Brink, Nov 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restart explorer exe

2. What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?: I saw it in task manager. I can't find it online. It had a NordVPN icon. I couldn't find it in any NordVPN file folders though.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-0vfo21l0exe-process/7ac9861c-3e18-4b41-8a11-8e7c10860d40
  3. What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?: I saw it in task manager. I can't find it online. It had a NordVPN icon. I couldn't find it in any NordVPN file folders though.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-0vfo21l0exe-process/7ac9861c-3e18-4b41-8a11-8e7c10860d40
  4. process explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    process explorer: I accidentally suspended searchApp.exe, and now it won't let me "resume" it. When I try "restart" it asks me if I will verify that I want to kill the process. Please help. Thank you...
  5. Windows 10 Explorer Search Processes Endlessly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Explorer Search Processes Endlessly: Windows 10 Search has become really problematic. More often than not the completion bar for a search approaches the right side and then continues to process and never finishes. I can walk away from my computer and the next day it is still searching for search results. How can...
  6. Images not appearing in Windows Explorer(.exe)

in Windows 10 Support
    Images not appearing in Windows Explorer(.exe): Firstly, I apologize advance because..best way describe the reason is... Do not make multiple threads in different sections for the same problem. I don't quite remember if it was here on Ten or Seven Forums, but I searched all my previous posts & threads (both forums) and...
  7. Glitchy text in Windows Explorer. Happens randomly, restarting explorer process fixes it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Glitchy text in Windows Explorer. Happens randomly, restarting explorer process fixes it.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Lucius1213 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fiex1z/glitchy_text_in_windows_explorer_happens_randomly/
  8. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. Ended windows explorer process

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ended windows explorer process: Hello, i accedentally ended windows explorer not from task manager. My laptop is pretty old and is starting to have slower and worse performance. Windows explorer stopped working and it showed a message to end process. I clicked on end process and everything vanished. Which...
  10. What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?

in Windows 10 News
    What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A lot of Windows users have doubts about whether the rundll32.exe process that they see in the Task Manager is a genuine process or a virus. The reason behind these inquiries is the paranoia created by fraud tech support companies [...] This post What is...
Tags: