Windows 10: Restart Take Much Longer to Start Than If Started From Shutdown

Discus and support Restart Take Much Longer to Start Than If Started From Shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On my new HP Laptop (2.3ghz), when I start Windows 10 from a power on start, Win10 starts in about 40 seconds. When I restart, it takes about 1 minute... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JJG10, May 15, 2016.

1. JJG10 Win User

Restart Take Much Longer to Start Than If Started From Shutdown

On my new HP Laptop (2.3ghz), when I start Windows 10 from a power on start, Win10 starts in about 40 seconds. When I restart, it takes about 1 minute and 35 seconds to start. Why the huge difference in the two? On each of my Win 7 machines there is just a 2 or 3 second difference.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, May 15, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

Updates

If you Update and Shutdown half the process takes place during shutdown and is completed as the device starts the next time. If you want to avoid this then I would either give time for the longer start or select Update and Restart.

neilpzz, May 15, 2016
  3. Critical Error: Cortana and Start not working with Windows 10 Upgrade

Solved!! - but not a long term fix.

Sometimes, I get a Critical Error Message that says Cortana and Start Button are not working. When I do a shut down, and startup again, the critical errors remain.

After doing some research, I realised that Windows 10 save key data during shut down. This enabled it to start up much quicker than Win 7 or 8. However, that also means it saves its error settings and start up with errors.
    Do a RESTART instead. For some strange application reason, a restart does not save any settings and it boots up from a clean sheet. Though it takes a longer time than a shutdown and startup, I do not see that critical error anymore.

Simon the Goondoo, May 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Turn off Windows 10 fast startup and they both will take about 1 minute and 35 seconds to start:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The reason for the time difference is because Windows fast startup is doing what it is supposed to be doing. When you click restart, it does not use Windows fast startup and shuts down the computer 100% and starts back up from absolutely nothing. Fast startup saves a bunch of information to the hard drive that gets reloaded directly back into memory upon startup and it never really shuts down the computer 100% - it sends a flag to bios to restart by loading the file that was saved on shutdown.

NavyLCDR, May 16, 2016
  5. JJG10 Win User
    OK. That explains it.

Thank you.

JJG10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Restart Take Much Longer to Start Than If Started From Shutdown - Similar Threads - Restart Much Longer

2. HP Laptops are taking much time to restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Laptops are taking much time to restart or shutdown: this issue appeared in Dec 2023, any idea why this is happening to only HP laptops - Updates are up to date - no policy conflicts - Up to date HP BIOS updates...
  3. HP Laptops are taking much time to restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Laptops are taking much time to restart or shutdown: this issue appeared in Dec 2023, any idea why this is happening to only HP laptops - Updates are up to date - no policy conflicts - Up to date HP BIOS updates...
  4. HP Laptops are taking much time to restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  6. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  7. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Restart takes longer than normal - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart takes longer than normal - Windows 10: i have a new hp laptop with windows10 built-in. less than a week the restart option takes a long time. over 3 minutes it goes over : 1. hp logo screen 2. wait screen 3 .windows welcome screen 4.It takes a while to display my name with Hello if i choose shut-down...
  9. Restart and Shutdown Process Taking Much Longer Than Before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart and Shutdown Process Taking Much Longer Than Before: Hi, Recently my restart and shutdown processes have been taking alot longer than normal so i looked up possible solutions and none have worked so far, however one method showed how to see what could be causing the problem by going into the Event Viewer. Below are...
  10. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting: System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead,...