Windows 10: Restart to install updates loop

Discus and support Restart to install updates loop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Looked like computer #3 was finally ready to install the Anniversary Update. It downloaded fine through WU and I got the message "restart required to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bru, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Restart to install updates loop

Looked like computer #3 was finally ready to install the Anniversary Update. It downloaded fine through WU and I got the message "restart required to install updates". Did the restart and noticed immediately there was no AU. Got the message again so I restarted again. Same. So the computer keeps telling me to restart to install updates but it isn't installing any updates. Power button options continually shows "Update and shut down" and "Update and restart" after multiple restarts. What to do?

:)

2. PACE87 Win User

Window Update 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

" Keep us in the loop" lol omg! the endless worthless continual reboot loop of update not installing! bad choice of wording Ronalene :-(

I get the following every time and it never installs... as others have mentioned
    Windows Update (troubleshooter) is worthless!

2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)

The above never installs no matter how many time I restart, or try to manually download and install the update. A hellish endless loop!

PACE87, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Windows not starting

From what i have gathered the problrm lies in the latest Windows update, since it wants me to restart my pc to finish the install, but it just loops into the problem i am encountering, somehow i got past the problem for an hours time, and i uninstalled
    the update, but had to restart which caused thr update to be downloaded again, causing the loop.

DanielLorenzen, Sep 24, 2016
  4. BRU
    bru Win User

Does anyone have advice on what I should do in this situation?

This is actually pc #4, three others installed AU via WU just fine. Last night Windows did the restart on its own and the message was some updates could not be installed. Again I tried a restart and again no updates install and immediately I get the message "restart required for updates".

edit: Manually installing the AU worked. Hopefully I won't continue to receive messages telling me to restart to install updates.

Thema:

1. Restart to install updates loop - Similar Threads - Restart install updates

2. Updates are underway, restart, loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates are underway, restart, loop: Hi,I have a surface laptop 2 with windows 11 that started to perform updates after a blue screen of death message. It’s now in an endless loop of the windows logo, then a screen with “updates are underway, please keep your computer on” and after a few seconds it changes to...
  3. Updates are underway, restart, loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates are underway, restart, loop: Hi,I have a surface laptop 2 with windows 11 that started to perform updates after a blue screen of death message. It’s now in an endless loop of the windows logo, then a screen with “updates are underway, please keep your computer on” and after a few seconds it changes to...
  4. Stuck on updating/restarting loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on updating/restarting loop: Hi,Last night my computer forced an update when I was shutting it down. It said it would take 5 minutes. It's been 12 hours now and it's stuck in a loop. It starts by booting up and displaying the Dell logo, then it says Updates are underway please keep your computer on, then...
  5. Stuck on updating/restarting loop

Stuck on updating/restarting loop: Hi,Last night my computer forced an update when I was shutting it down. It said it would take 5 minutes. It's been 12 hours now and it's stuck in a loop. It starts by booting up and displaying the Dell logo, then it says Updates are underway please keep your computer on, then...
  6. Infinite Boot Loop after "Install updates and restart" option

Infinite Boot Loop after "Install updates and restart" option: My system is showing Lenovo Boot Icon-> Windows installing updates, Please don't turn off -> Installing updates 35%, Please don't turn off-> Restarting.This sequence is going on loop.I tried hard reset 3 times to get to automatic repair screen- "Automatic repair", "system...
  7. windows update restart loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update restart loop: Hello.upon attempting to download the latest windows update once i'm prompted to restart for the update to get installed,the pc starts looping between the lenovo bootscreen and a "getting windows ready,please do not turn off" messsage before the sign in screen,it's the first...
  8. windows update restart loop

windows update restart loop: Hello.upon attempting to download the latest windows update once i'm prompted to restart for the update to get installed,the pc starts looping between the lenovo bootscreen and a "getting windows ready,please do not turn off" messsage before the sign in screen,it's the first...
  9. windows update restart loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Windows factory restart install loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows factory restart install loop: So a week ago i began a factory restart on my old laptop windows 10 and when it completed the wipe and began to reinstall windows I, rather foolishly shut it off. Upon turning it back on i would be greated with a message displaying an error and it would promote me to restart....