Windows 10: Restart to install updates loop

Discus and support Restart to install updates loop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Looked like computer #3 was finally ready to install the Anniversary Update. It downloaded fine through WU and I got the message "restart required to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bru, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Restart to install updates loop

Looked like computer #3 was finally ready to install the Anniversary Update. It downloaded fine through WU and I got the message "restart required to install updates". Did the restart and noticed immediately there was no AU. Got the message again so I restarted again. Same. So the computer keeps telling me to restart to install updates but it isn't installing any updates. Power button options continually shows "Update and shut down" and "Update and restart" after multiple restarts. What to do?

:)

2. PACE87 Win User

Window Update 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

" Keep us in the loop" lol omg! the endless worthless continual reboot loop of update not installing! bad choice of wording Ronalene :-(

I get the following every time and it never installs... as others have mentioned
    Windows Update (troubleshooter) is worthless!

2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)

The above never installs no matter how many time I restart, or try to manually download and install the update. A hellish endless loop!

PACE87, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Windows not starting

From what i have gathered the problrm lies in the latest Windows update, since it wants me to restart my pc to finish the install, but it just loops into the problem i am encountering, somehow i got past the problem for an hours time, and i uninstalled
    the update, but had to restart which caused thr update to be downloaded again, causing the loop.

DanielLorenzen, Sep 24, 2016
  4. BRU
    bru Win User

Does anyone have advice on what I should do in this situation?

This is actually pc #4, three others installed AU via WU just fine. Last night Windows did the restart on its own and the message was some updates could not be installed. Again I tried a restart and again no updates install and immediately I get the message "restart required for updates".

edit: Manually installing the AU worked. Hopefully I won't continue to receive messages telling me to restart to install updates.

Thema:

1. Restart to install updates loop - Similar Threads - Restart install updates

2. Windows 10 USB install restart loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 USB install restart loop: I have built many computers over the years but this is the first using an SSD as my primary hard drive. BIOS loads up fine and it lets me access the USB installation of Windows but as soon as it starts installing it will just reboot for no reason. It stayed on once almost...
  3. Pc restart loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc restart loop: Last night 7pm when i was playing (Grim Dawn) , my mother got angry so my first instinct was to close the computer so i shut it down properly. I turned off the avr after the computer turned black, i unplugged it. I slept then this morning when i woke up about 5 am i turned on...
  4. Infinite restart loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infinite restart loop: I tried reinstalling windows through a usb drive when it suddenly needed to recover and when I went through the process of installing it, my computer died, and now it's on a infinite restart loop saying this: Install Windows The computer restarted unexpectedly or...
  5. PC in restarting loop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC in restarting loop: I reset my PC to factory settings. Get login page for Administrator followed by a box labeled Install Windows. The message says Windows could not complete the installation, To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation. Keeps running but doesn't restart; goes...
  6. Stuck in restart loop after update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stuck in restart loop after update: I had a bigger update automatically download and install today. It said Windows may need to restart several times during the update. It has been stuck in a restart loop for several hours now. Laptop switches on, after about 15 seconds says restarting and the cycle repeats...
  7. BSOD Loop restart.

BSOD Loop restart.: I've been experiencing startup issues with my PC since last night. I go to startup and startup freezes. It seems that something is either stuck or freezing up on loading. Since it doesn't fully boot up, I have been hitting the reset button or holding the power button. It...
  8. Video_Memory_mgmt_Internal restart loop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video_Memory_mgmt_Internal restart loop: I had a HDD failure on my ET2701INTI that was running 8.1. I went out and bought a 1TB SSD. Unfortunately, I did not have a back up and the drive would not clone due to bad sectors. Long story short, ASUS refused to give me the Win8 OEM version. I was forced to pay around $90...
  9. BSOD and restart loop

BSOD and restart loop: Hi I have been getting random BSOD with all different kinds of messages (tcpsp.sis missing or contains errors, irql_not_less_or_equal, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) The PC is custom built by myself and I have tried many things to try to find out what the issue is ( cleared...
  10. Restart Required Loop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restart Required Loop: My system keeps telling me I need to restart my system to finish installing software for my device. I have already restarted multiple times and verified that the device drivers and software installed correctly the first time. Microsoft Answer Desk used DriverPack Solution to...