Windows 10: Restore boot

Discus and support Restore boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am using a dual boot system (Windows 10 Pro and FreeBSD). I used to boot Windows 10 or BSD through BSD's boot manager. I needed to reinstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by enterthevoid, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Restore boot

Hi,
    I am using a dual boot system (Windows 10 Pro and FreeBSD).
    I used to boot Windows 10 or BSD through BSD's boot manager.
    I needed to reinstall Windows 10, so my boot has been overwritten.
    I tried to restore it, and then I ran into problems..
    I am not able to boot anything.. I get "Missing boot loader" error.
    Anyway, I can mount both filesystem with a Linux live cd.
    I tried restore with those command from a Windows 10 DVD (repair options -> prompt)

bootrec /fixmbr (no error)
    bootrec /fixboot (no error)
    bootrec /rebuildbcd ..

It prompts me for adding "Windows 10" (I chose YES) and "Windows.old" (I chose YES, but at this point I get error "The requested system device cannot be found"

Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much!

:)

enterthevoid, Feb 2, 2018

2. Boot/Restore

Hi Tyler,

There's a lot of reason for booting in to a black screen like problems with the driver for your display adapter or the video output is being sent to an unexpected port. We recommend following these steps to resolve the issue:

Step 1: Start up Repair

• Download the
      Windows

ISO
      and create a Media Creation Tool from another computer to perform Start up Repair.

• Connect your USB drive with ISO image or the OS DVD and reboot the computer. A black screen will appear with gray text saying "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
    • Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
    • Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
    • Select Start up repair.

Step 2: Once you are able to get to the desktop screen, try running check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

• Press Windows key + X and click on Command prompt (admin)
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to
    schedule a task and restart the computer to perform check disk.

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found, then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check if the issue persists.

Do let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Boot/Restore

Okay, so I installed a new CPU Fan and Case fans and applied new thermal paste (giving these specifically because after I got this result): I plug everything back up and turn on my computer and it boots and shows the bios and who it's made by etc and has
    a little windows spinning dot circle and then goes to a black screen and is stuck there. I've checked all my boot options and they are all correct. I've trying restoring it and resetting it but it says they have failed or they can't. I've truer going the the
    command prompt to resolve the issue with these commands from this article Windows 10 Won't Boot? Fix it with Startup Repair and BootRec Commands

I also have tried this one Windows 10 now won't boot, won't recover, won't reset, won't repair

it also did not work. So to sum this up I can't restore or repair or reset it for a unknown reason and I have checked all wiring. If any more details aren't needed please let me know.

tylerjames59, Feb 2, 2018
  4. hiphopper Win User

Restore boot

Windows.old would be the old files from a previous version of Windows prior to an update. What happens if you say NO to that prompt?

hiphopper, Feb 2, 2018
  5. Hi, same error.

enterthevoid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Restore boot

1. Restore boot - Similar Threads - Restore boot

2. Restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo?: How can I restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo? I had to swap the hardware in my ASUS desktop.For this purpose it was necessary to disable the secure boot. So I made a mistake, and deleted secure keys by the way from BIOS.After fixing the...
  3. Restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo?: How can I restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo? I had to swap the hardware in my ASUS desktop.For this purpose it was necessary to disable the secure boot. So I made a mistake, and deleted secure keys by the way from BIOS.After fixing the...
  4. Restore vendor BGRT boot logo, instead of unbranded Windows10 blue logo?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doent...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doent...: My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doesnt boot up and only loads up bios. It does detect my hard drive and ssd....
  6. My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doent...

My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doent...: My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doesnt boot up and only loads up bios. It does detect my hard drive and ssd....
  7. My computer is stuck booting up in bios ive tried restoring default setting but still doent...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How can I restore the Windows bootloader after reinstalling Ubuntu in a dual-boot setup on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I restore the Windows bootloader after reinstalling Ubuntu in a dual-boot setup on...: Encountered issues in a dual-boot configuration with Ubuntu 23.10 and Kali Linux installed on a 512 GB SSD with Ubuntu allocated a larger partition. Windows was on a separate 1 TB SSD, consisting of two partitions - one of 150 GB for the C drive and another of the remaining...
  9. How can I restore the Windows bootloader after reinstalling Ubuntu in a dual-boot setup on...

How can I restore the Windows bootloader after reinstalling Ubuntu in a dual-boot setup on...: Encountered issues in a dual-boot configuration with Ubuntu 23.10 and Kali Linux installed on a 512 GB SSD with Ubuntu allocated a larger partition. Windows was on a separate 1 TB SSD, consisting of two partitions - one of 150 GB for the C drive and another of the remaining...
  10. Can’t boot to windows past motherboard logo. Windows reinstall nor restore work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t boot to windows past motherboard logo. Windows reinstall nor restore work: I can’t go past the motherboard logo. It’s a black screen; I’ve tried connecting monitor to motherboard instead of GPU. It was overheating horribly before, I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. BIOS works and there’s no warning lightsNow windows reinstallation...