Windows 10: Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

Discus and support Restore Default Font Settings in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Default Font Settings in Windows How to Restore Default Font Settings in Windows A font is a graphical representation of text... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by worldstream, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

How to: Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

How to Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design.

You can change the following font settings in Windows:
    • Hide or show fonts and font families you want in your programs.
    • input language settings.
    • Allow fonts to be installed using a shortcut (advanced). By default, this setting is turned off (unchecked). To save space on your computer, you can choose to install a shortcut to a font file instead of the file itself. If the font file becomes unavailable, you might not be able to use the font.
    This tutorial will show you how to restore default font settings for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Restore Default Font Settings in Font Settings
    • Option Two: Restore Default Font Settings using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Restore Default Font Settings in Font Settings
    1. Open the C:\Windows\Fonts folder in File Explorer (Win+E).

*note You could also open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Fonts icon to open the Fonts folder.

2. Click/tap on the Font settings link at the top left in the Fonts folder. (see screenshot below)

Restore Default Font Settings in Windows [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Restore default font settings button. (see screenshots below)

4. You can now close the Fonts folder window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Restore Default Font Settings using a REG file
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Restore_default_font_settings.reg

Download

Contents of .reg file for reference:

Code:
    2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. If the C:\Windows\Fonts folder is currently open, close and reopen it to apply.

6. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

worldstream, Feb 6, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

In Windows 10 how do I return the font on my desktop icons to the default setting?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to restore to default font settings in windows 10.

• Type fonts in the search and press enter

• Click on Font settings

• Click on Restore default font settings.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Default font settings restore.

Hello Triggsy18

Please follow these steps

Go to the Windows 10 search field on the taskbar, and type Control Panel. Click on the Control Panel link under the search results, to open it. With the Control Panel open, go to Appearance and Personalization, and then Change Font Settings under Fonts.

Under Font Settings, click the Restore default font settings button. Windows 10 will then begin restoring the default fonts. Windows can also hide fonts that are not designed for your input language settings. To do this, select the Hide fonts based on language
    settings checkbox before clicking on the Restore default fonts button.

I hope it helps

Pedro V Flores, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

RESETTING THE DEFAULT FONTS?

Hello,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• Did you delete any fonts from the system?
    • Which Windows 10 build are you using?
    • When you say ''Tried the one in the font menu but it didn't work!
      ‘’did you tried the option Restore default fonts settings? If not you can try the below steps.
    Let’s try to restore the default fonts settings and check if this helps.

• Type fonts on the Windows search bar and select
      Fonts.

• Click on Font settings on the left pane and click on
      Restore default fonts settings.

• Click on OK.
    Check if this helps. Let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to restore default fonts in Windows 10?

Hi Thofikh,

Thanx for your quick answer.

But I tried the steps you described.... it is not working.

I can't restore default Windows 10 font.... please suggest any other option.

Thanx so much......

Osman

Osman Begg, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How to change font size in Windows 10 and set them to default?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As your concern is about changing the font size, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Are you referring to font size in Windows operating system/ with in the Windows Live Mail?
    • Have you installed any fonts on your device?

If you are referring to font size in Windows operating system, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Steps to restore the default font settings.

• Press Windows key, type font and select
      Change Font Settings
    • Click on Restore default font settings.
    • Sign-out from the current user account and re-sign in and check if it helps.

Step 2: Change the font settings

• Press Windows key, type font and select View fonts installed.
    • Click on Change font size in the left pane.
    • Under Change the text only, click on the drop down arrow choose the appropriate option and change the size you wish to and click on
      Apply.

If you are referring to Windows Live Mail, I would like to inform that it is by design you cannot change the font settings to default on Windows Live Mail. Instead, you can choose appropriate font size and fonts while typing the mail.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Restore Default Font Settings in Windows

1. Restore Default Font Settings in Windows - Similar Threads - Restore Default Font

2. Restore default Sinhala font

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore default Sinhala font: I installed Sinhala language features through the settings then my Sinhala font changed to ugly font which is harder to readHow to restore windows 11 default Sinhala font? I uninstalled Sinhala language features, but nothing changed....
  3. Restore default Sinhala font

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore default Sinhala font: I installed Sinhala language features through the settings then my Sinhala font changed to ugly font which is harder to readHow to restore windows 11 default Sinhala font? I uninstalled Sinhala language features, but nothing changed....
  4. How to restore default fonts in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to restore default fonts in Windows 10?: Hi, Can any one please explain how to restore default fonts in Windows 10 Home? I want to delete all the fonts that I have added and just have the normal fonts that windows comes with....
  5. How to restore default font

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to restore default font: I used registry to change font from the default font and now after trying to restore it the :;/- and other symbols are missing. Is there a way to fix this? submitted by /u/gturtle72 [link] [comments]...
  6. Restore default font in Windows 10

Restore default font in Windows 10: Hello, I updated my Microsoft applications, but somehow the downloading changed my default fonts. The font has turned very thin. How do I restore the font back to default settings? The support I found online all referred to "Font Settings" but when I go into the control...
  7. Setting a font as default

Setting a font as default: My laptop came with a default font Calibri. I want to change the default font to Times Roman. I have followed instructions to change the default font but it is not happening and Calibri remains the default. Is there a way of resolving this?...
  8. Default font settings restore.

Default font settings restore.: How can I restore the default font settings on Windows 10. When I try by going through Control Panel the button to reset default settings just goes grey when I click on it....
  9. Windows 10 | Default Fonts | Can't Restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 | Default Fonts | Can't Restore: Hello, I installed some old software on my Windows 10 device and it changed the font to some old XP font. Here is a screenshot: 2018-11-17_0929 Unfortunately I didn't have system recovery enabled and have no restore point to revert back to. I have tried the following: 1....
  10. Restore Default Font settings button

Restore Default Font settings button: In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Fonts\Font Settings, the button labeled "Font settings" does not work although when pressed it appears to work. I even left it pressed overnight but no joy. Any help appreciated. [IMG]...