Windows 10: Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017.

1. sbdresner Win User

Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

How to: Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall.

Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software from gaining access to your PC through the Internet or a network.

Over time of allowing apps through the firewall and setting rules, you may need or want to completely reset Windows Firewall to default. Restore defaults would include turning on Windows Firewall for all network profiles, reset notification settings to default, remove all added apps and features that you allowed and denied, and reset Windows Firewall with Advanced Security settings to default.

This tutorial will show you how to completely reset and restore Windows Firewall settings to default in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to restore default Windows Firewall settings.

Warning Restoring default settings will remove all Windows Firewall settings that you have configured for all network locations since Windows was installed. This might cause some apps to stop working until allowed through the firewall again.

This will not affect any configured group policies for Windows Firewall.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Control Panel
    • Option Two: To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Security
    • Option Four: To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in PowerShell

EXAMPLE: Windows Defender Firewall settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Windows Firewall icon.

2. Click/tap on the Restore defaults link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Restore defaults button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close the Windows Firewall control panel window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Command Prompt

Note To see more usage options for the Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall command, see: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands - TechNet

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall reset

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows Security

Note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 15007.

1. Open the Windows Security, and click/tap on the Firewall & network protection icon

2. Click/tap on the Restore firewalls to default link. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Restore defaults button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Windows Security and Windows Firewall control panel window if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow (New-Object -ComObject HNetCfg.FwPolicy2).RestoreLocalFirewallDefaults()

3. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017

2. Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Constant High CPU Usage from System, ICS, Firewall, CoreMessaging and Filter Motor

This should resolve your issue:

Reset Windows Defender Firewall:

Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Defender -> Open Windows Defender Security Center -> Firewall and Network Protection -> Restore Firewall default settings > Click the button to restore the defaults

Or

Use the Windows Firewall repair tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...agnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall

Thanks,

Zach

zsaltzman_fmt, Jan 23, 2017
  3. imanghosh Win User
    After 1709 update of windows 10 ,laptop using too much of cpu power and battery draining at 1% per minute

I have solved the problem by resetting the Windows Defender Firewall to the default settings.
    To do this open

Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Defender -> Open Windows Defender Security Center -> Firewall and Network Protection -> Restore Firewall default settings Hopefully this will help you.

Rest depend on Microsoft as why they are creating such bugs!!

imanghosh, Jan 23, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 23, 2017
  5. sbdresner Win User
    Thanks, Brink, but I've already twice set all policies to not-configured and rebooted.

sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Do you have any 3rd party Firewall or AV software installed that could have disabled Windows Firewall?

Brink, Jan 23, 2017
  7. sbdresner Win User
    I'd disabled AV. No other firewall. Cannot disable Windows firewall.

sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 23, 2017
  9. sbdresner Win User
    Stopped firewall service, restarted, and firewall returned unchanged.

sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll also need to disable it after stopping it.

Brink, Jan 23, 2017
  11. sbdresner Win User
    Thanks, Brink. Firewall's disabled. I get this, but none of the links work:

sbdresner, Jan 23, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be normal to see when Windows Firewall has been disabled. You can ignore it, or turn off messages for it.

Brink, Jan 23, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

Please see Firewall Disabled Bug?

I tried setting the Firewall to defaults but the problem remains. Are there any other methods of resetting the Firewall?

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Steve, *Smile

Do you have any 3rd party AV or Firewall program installed that could be responsible?

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  15. Steve C Win User
    No - but I uninstalled Kaspersky Total Security 2 weeks ago which may have corrupted something? I have Malwarebytes Free but only for on demand scanning.

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Restore Default Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Default Defender

2. Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?: When I try to restore to default settings it keeps saying Window Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x800706d9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-will-not-allow-me-to/682f67b1-a885-4aae-84ef-9e82ed2d47af
  3. Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall will not allow me to restore default settings, how to fix?: When I try to restore to default settings it keeps saying Window Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x800706d9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-will-not-allow-me-to/682f67b1-a885-4aae-84ef-9e82ed2d47af
  4. What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do

What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do: So Microsoft Defender Firewalls displays an error with the option to "Restore settings" but provides no additional details as to why it thinks it broke nor what will be lost if I click the "Restore settings" button. This seems like those "Something went wrong" error messages...
  5. What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does restore setting of Defender Firewall do: So Microsoft Defender Firewalls displays an error with the option to "Restore settings" but provides no additional details as to why it thinks it broke nor what will be lost if I click the "Restore settings" button. This seems like those "Something went wrong" error messages...
  6. Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default: I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360. I was online looking for tips and tricks online. A lot of them recommended getting rid of McAfee Security because of the bloatware, as well as, the nagging pop ups every time you looked around. I followed there directions and...
  7. Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default

Restoring Windows Defender Firewall to default: I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360. I was online looking for tips and tricks online. A lot of them recommended getting rid of McAfee Security because of the bloatware, as well as, the nagging pop ups every time you looked around. I followed there directions and...
  8. Windows firewall cannot be set as the default firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows firewall cannot be set as the default firewall: Hi.Problem description:- I has some problem with Defender firewall and when I'm trying to run troubleshooter from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall-513e9cf8-19ae-d579-2092-d5e64fe06f5fI receive the...
  9. Windows Defender Firewall settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender Firewall settings: Which apps should I allow to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall in my Windows settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-settings/3be59eb4-93ed-4fdf-9a67-1954fab82cc4
  10. Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Windows Defender Firewall Settings and Rules in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot restore defender firewall group policy

2. (New-Object ComObject HNetCfg.FwPolicy2).RestoreLocalFirewallDefaults()

3. windows 10 defender firewall default settings powershell

4. windows 10 powershell restore firewall default settings