Windows 10: Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation

Discus and support Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; What I'd like to do is:- Make a system image backup to an external HDD. Re-format drive C Re-install Windows 10 from scratch Restore all my apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by oldcelt, Feb 25, 2018.

1. oldcelt Win User

Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation

What I'd like to do is:-

• Make a system image backup to an external HDD.
    • Re-format drive C
    • Re-install Windows 10 from scratch
    • Restore all my apps and files (not many files as I keep almost all data on a separate partition.

Am I expecting the impossible and would the restore try to put the O/S exactly where it was before? The previous installation seems to reside in an unusual partition which I discovered when I tried to rescue windows 10 installation without loosing data and apps. This is the installation screen where I wanted to choose:-

Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation [​IMG]

As one can see, it tells me the current version of Windows is in an unsupported directory - not of my choosing when installed!
    This is my disk partition table for C:-

Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation [​IMG]

I'd be extremely grateful for advice on this please?

:)

oldcelt, Feb 25, 2018

2. How to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)

Many thanks for these info.

I sucessfully teste a backup/restore from and EVO 850 to an EVO 840 while keeping hardware encryption

I used Acronis Backup bootable media

They key is to:

- disable Bitlocker before backup partition image

- enable encryption on the target disk

- install a fresh windows 10 on the target disk (untested but should work: if it has an install using hardware encryption to keep it)

- restore only the Data partition while keeping the MSR and recovery partitions of the new disk

Best regards

whitemoon_2010, Feb 25, 2018
  3. fg2001 Win User
    Windows 10 1709 64bit, windows image restore to a new drive fails, error 0x80042302

The original partitions were created by windows 10 1709 install disk on a new drive, so if those are in the wrong order Microsoft should correct that. If they work fine on the fresh install, the restore program should just create the same partitions as the
    original disk. Why should I need to do anything else on a new empty drive ?

The restore works fine on the original drive and there is nothing corrupted on the system.

Anyway I will have to get another drive to do more experiments because I used the last one I had to install on another machine.

The bottom line is that windows 1709 fresh install created the original drive, then the system image was saved and the restore should format the new drive the same way as the original one.

fg2001, Feb 25, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

When installing Windows it's very important you disconnected all other drives so it doesn't put files in the wrong place. A new version you can restore data files but you can't restore programs as registered entries will be missing along with DLLs so you will have to reinstall all software which gives you a trouble free installation

Samuria, Feb 25, 2018
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    I don't really see this installation of Windows 10 as unusual. The system looks pretty much the same as most of the Windows 10 installations do:

• System reserve (a.k.a "boot" partition)
    • System (C)
    • Recovery Partition (Windows pre-installation environment, or WinPE)
    Once you select the drive to install Windows, it'll set up the same partitions, except if you (or someone else) customized it.

And that's what Windows complains about, the ~500GBs drive had been split in to two. One half of the drive is for Windows, while other half is for data. Reinstalling Windows deals with the Windows partitions only and cannot guarantee that the data drive will stay intact.

If you reinstall Windows and just select the drive where to install it, it may format the 500GBs drive as listed above, effectively removing your data partition.

You could just delete the Windows partitions and install Windows to the empty space, that would keep the data partition intact.

But I agree with Samuria, you cannot restore the applications from backup to the new Windows installation. It may work in some cases, but most of them will fail.

On the other hand, if you want to restore Windows from backup, Macrium Reflect and others, the backup program will restore the system exactly as it is now, without touching the data drive.

Cr00zng, Feb 25, 2018
  6. oldcelt Win User
    Slight misunderstanding I think. There is no data on C drive; all apps have been set up to store data on the physically separate HDD so I'm not worried about data recovery. All I want to do is avoid having to re-install all apps. A full image backup should do that but I want to have the Recovery Partition at the end of the disk, not in the middle where it is now. If I re-format C and re-install Windows then recover everything from the image backup will it recreate the Recovery Partition to where it is now? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I suppose the simple thing to do is just create another drive in the unallocated partition.

oldcelt, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Word Man Win User
    I don't see any need for a Windows reinstall, oldcelt. You can do an image restore within Macrium (using rescue environment) and, as part of setting up the restore, just drag and drop the partitions into the destination disk diagram in the order you want. It MAY break your Windows link to the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) in that 450 MB recovery partition but that can easily be corrected from a command prompt.

Word Man, Feb 25, 2018
  8. oldcelt Win User

Now that sounds like the solution I'm looking for. Many thanks - downloading Macrium as I type.*Smile

PS: By the way, what is the command to tell windows where the Recovery partition is please?

oldcelt, Feb 25, 2018
  9. topgundcp Win User
    From disk management, it shows that you upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7.
    On a fresh install of Windows using MBR, the disk layout is:
    550MB System Reserved and C drive. You don't even have the Recovery partition, The Recovery environment will be combined in System Reserved partition.
    The Recovery partition was created when you did the upgrade because there's not enough room to store in a 100MB Reserved partition.

Bottom line is if you want to re-install Windows. Delete the first 3 partitions (100MB, C partition, 450MB Recovery partition), leaving F: drive untouched.

The final result will be:
    550MB System Reserved partition, C drive, F Drive.

topgundcp, Feb 25, 2018
  10. oldcelt Win User
    Perfectly correct. So, what would happen if I did a fresh install of Windows 10; would I then be able to recover all my apps from the disk image into the new partition arrangement or would it, in the recovery process, re-partition the disk to where it was?

oldcelt, Feb 25, 2018
  11. topgundcp Win User
    I edited my previous post above that if you want to re-install Windows. However, to restore the apps from the backup might/might not run.

If your current Windows is running fine and you just want to re-arrange the disk layout then use:
    Free download Magic Partition Manager Software

• Delete the 450MB Recovery partition.
    • Move Bred_C next to F: partition
    • Then resize the System Reserved partition to 550MB

The Recovery environment will be broken but it is very easy to fix.

topgundcp, Feb 25, 2018
  12. Word Man Win User
    Usually it's just a matter of opening an elevated (admin) command prompt and executing "reagentc /enable" and it will find the partition and re-establish the link. It may or may not require a reboot to take effect, not sure, been too long for me and I think I've seen it go both ways.

Word Man, Feb 25, 2018
  13. oldcelt Win User

Many thanks. It's now 22:00 hrs local and I'm about to turn in. Will try suggestions tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!

oldcelt, Feb 26, 2018
  14. I'm not a hardware person and maybe my ideas won't make sense, but in case they might this is what I'm thinking.

On the issue of "current version of Windows is in an unsupported directory", what is your current version?

Even though your data is on an external HDD, create another set of your data on a USB flash drive in case it becomes necessary to repeat the method to store your data on the physically separate HDD.

Disconnect all external drives as mentioned. With everything out of the way, try the "Keep personal files and apps" procedure you tried before. The intent here is to determine if your apps will be saved so you will not have to re-install them.

If that works and you end up with an unallocated partition you can consider merging it with your OS partition. I did that once for a friend using mini-tool partition wizard free Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free if I remember correctly.
    --- And if it does work, create a system image back up before moving on.

If those ideas don't work, you will have to re-install your apps.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 26, 2018
  15. oldcelt Win User
    OK everybody - masses of valuable expert advice and information. Having considered all the options I've decided to leave everything where it is. If I started storing data on F: then, if I have to reinstall Windows, I risk losing any data in that partition. I'll just use it for temporary storage of anything that is relatively unimportant.

Many, many thanks for all the help.

Ken

oldcelt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore disk image to a fresh Windows 10 installation - Similar Threads - Restore disk image

2. Restoring games after windows fresh install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring games after windows fresh install: So i recently had to do a steam fresh install on my ssd. I deleted all my data from my ssd but kept my games on the hard drive. Now, after a fresh install, when i open steam my games aren't there and it won't let me use my previous library folder from my hard drive. This is...
  3. Can't restore Windows from disk image

Can't restore Windows from disk image: I can't boot Windows. Created installation media on USB. Automatic repair doesn't work. I have a disk image on an external hard drive and 2 backups. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Screenshots taken on different device. Windows can't find the image. When trying to point to the...
  4. Fresh install and restore apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh install and restore apps?: I'm a bit obsessed with clean installations, so I do one every once in a while. This time it has to do with a ever so slight error when I did my last one that left one of those input and system language messes immune to any possible solution out there. On the one hand, I...
  5. Fresh Windows 10 installation, then restore from system image: performance improvement?

Fresh Windows 10 installation, then restore from system image: performance improvement?: It is said that if you reset your PC or re-install Windows 10, then its performance may improve. If you were to re-install it, and then restore a system image of the PC made prior to the re-installation, is there still any performance improvement? If not, then what is the...
  6. Create / restore disk image in windows7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create / restore disk image in windows7: I have an issue when i was trying to restore a previous disk image mage by windows 10 os. As i have a dual booted partition on my 240gb ssd drive with the other one being Windows 7 os. I was expecting the other one being restored as well. Instead i got a blank partition where...
  7. Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...

Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...: Just re-installed windows 10 after upgrading to a raid 0 m.2 set up with dual Evo 960 1TB SSDs. After troubleshooting all the issues of actually getting windows to recognize the raid, and also HAVING BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS THE BACKUP IMAGE BEFORE WHILE REINSTALLING WINDOWS 10 -...
  8. Restore a windows 10 disk image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore a windows 10 disk image: Hello, I made a windows 10 disk image with the built in tool as i had to send my surface pro back to CS. Now that it it bask I want to restore it. The problem is when I want to do recover it it finds correclty my backup on my external hard drive but after selecting it it...
  9. Using 1511 for fresh install and image

Using 1511 for fresh install and image: On 18th October I posted about using a windows 10 image to upgrade several machines and was advised that it was not possible. I have just downloaded from Tech Bench (link on this forum) and the file is called Win10_1511_English_x64. I thought Microsoft withdrew this...
  10. Restore with disk image

Restore with disk image: How do I reinstall Windows 10 from a USB Disk Image 17737