Windows 10: Restore from Windows Image Backup

Discus and support Restore from Windows Image Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by p455word, Oct 29, 2015.

1. p455word Win User

Restore from Windows Image Backup

I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created, "F:\WindowsImageBackup". How do I restore from this image instead of the factory image?

:)

p455word, Oct 29, 2015

2. Changing Primary folder (C:\User\****** to another label

Hi Dennis,

Disk Image Backup or image-level backup writes the entire contents of the drive to an image file, which is different from individual file backups. If something goes wrong, you can restore the exact previous configuration quickly. Windows 10 includes the
    system image backup feature which can be accessed via Control Panel > Backup and Restore. To restore a Windows 10 system image backup, you can do from recovery environment.

But if you need additional features there are 3rd party solutions like EaseUS or Acronis.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 29, 2015
  3. restore backup files as recovery from image

Hi,

We suggest that you check this link. You may go directly to repair and recovery options.

Thank you.

Karina Aris, Oct 29, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Hi .... Welcome to Ten Forum ... I would suggest you try Macrium Reflect v6 Free software for creating backup images and restore. It much better than using windows . Most here will recommend MR, have a look at website below

Code: Macrium Software | 404

sn00ker, Oct 29, 2015
  5. p455word Win User
    [/quote] Yes, I also have that app, and an image created by it. But why doesn't windows image system work?

p455word, Oct 29, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

What so special about the F:\ drive or partition that WinRe doesn't see it ?

That said, I wouldn't rely on anything backup from W10 nowadays. They had it working great at one point but lost it over the OS upgrades somehow.
    Waste of time and resourses. I use Macrium Reflect and I'm going to buy it too. They deserve the support. *Wink

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 29, 2015
  7. p455word Win User

p455word, Oct 29, 2015
  8. RolandJS Win User

"...I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd..." p455word
    Backup/restore programs, when booted via DVD or USB, almost never use the drive letters that normal-boot Windows uses. That's why I name my OS and data partitions, and name my external devices. Regardless of what's booted, OS & data partition names remain the same.

RolandJS, Oct 29, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I have never had that problem. I also do place a name on every drive such as Win 10 for C:\ --Backup for my external drive that I use MR to image on.

10. p455word Win User
    Backup/restore programs, when booted via DVD or USB, almost never use the drive letters that normal-boot Windows uses. That's why I name my OS and data partitions, and name my external devices. Regardless of what's booted, OS & data partition names remain the same.[/QUOTE]

Previously, I resized my "(C*Smile Windows" drive down to 200GB from 900GB. That left a second partition, located physically
    between C:\ and "(D:\)Recovery". Although Windows named this partition (F:\), the Pre-install Environment on the Rescue CD sees it as the second partition on the drive, and therefore, calls it (D:\). Will probably work, cause you sound right. I named F:\ as "Backup Files", and it now shows the path as "(D:\) Backup Files". Still technically the wrong path for Windows, but maybe the right path for the recovery program. I'll try it when needed, then use my Macrium image,
    if Windows image balks. Thanks for the input!

p455word, Oct 30, 2015
  11. p455word Win User
    RolandJS was right. Ignore the drive letter that the repair CD assigns. If the date\time stamp on the file is correct,
    it is the right file to use to restore your drive (or partition).
    I tested it. It restored properly!

Thanx to all who replied to the post!

p455word, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore from Windows Image Backup - Similar Threads - Restore Image Backup

2. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from a full image backup.: My aunt left me 12 discs with her computers backup on it including one system repair disc. She recently passed away and left me with no knowledge of how to access the contents of the discs. All I know is it was made with windows 10 and I have windows 10 but other than that I...
  3. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore from a full image backup.: My aunt left me 12 discs with her computers backup on it including one system repair disc. She recently passed away and left me with no knowledge of how to access the contents of the discs. All I know is it was made with windows 10 and I have windows 10 but other than that I...
  4. How to restore from a full image backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  6. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  7. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

8. Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network: I recently wiped my drives because of a BSOD, but I have a system image over my network that i have on my home server. I was wondering if it is possible to restore that system image from over the network after reinstalling windows 10? Also is it possible to reuse the windows...
  9. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  10. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup: Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine. I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive...