Windows 10: Restore issue: Windows cannot find image

Discus and support Restore issue: Windows cannot find image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've recently made the change from Windows 7 to 10. When my tablet developed a screen fault, I followed the image backup guide onsite before requesting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pinhead, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Pinhead Win User

Restore issue: Windows cannot find image

I've recently made the change from Windows 7 to 10. When my tablet developed a screen fault, I followed the image backup guide onsite before requesting a manufacturer exchange. With the new tablet I've followed steps to restore the image, but I get the 'Windows cannot find a system image on this computer' message.

Although I then followed the link for loading SATA drivers, I'm not familiar with them or quite sure what to do. The tablet is a Linux 820 with disk image saved to SanDisk SD and Windows installation recovery USB. I wonder if it's just easier using 3rd party or their is a user friendly way around this?

:)

Pinhead, Jun 12, 2017
  2. Stricko Win User

Restore System Image cannot find backup

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go through it in detail when I'm home later, but at first glance it is the sames steps that i have already taken. Whether you boot from a recovery disk, usb or take the troubleshoot option from settings, they all end up
    in the same place. It's at this point, regardless of how you get there, that it looks for image files, and fails to find them. There is a clue in there about the image having to be in exactly the same configuration as when it was taken. But was EXACTLY does
    that mean? That why i asked for Microsoft to clarify what the system is looking for when it searches. I've had problems with this in the past when i couldnt find an image from within my normal windows environment but could find it with a recovery disk. This
    happened at both w7 and w10, but i was always able to find it by some route. But not this time.......

Stricko, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Restore System Image cannot find backup

Hello,

We recommend that you post your concern to Microsoft TechNet for more advance troubleshooting. We are certain that you will be provided
    with the resolution you are looking for.

Thank you.

Marvin Barc, Jun 12, 2017
  4. Restore issue: Windows cannot find image

Hi Pinhead. Welcome to the Tenforums @Pinhead.

So I understand, what do you mean "Image backup guide onsite". Was this something you found at Tenforums?

There are plenty of threads out there where Windows can't find its image.

Before we go there though I wonder if you are loading the appropriate drivers to see the SD card reader. When you boot with your recovery drive can you enter command prompt(admin). Then with SD card in reader, which I assume is part of tablet, enter the following commands

diskpart

list disk

Is your SD card listed? if not

list volume

Is your SD card listed?

exit
    exit

Caledon Ken, Jun 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    @Pinhead, which 'onsite guide' do you mean? Can you give a link to the one you used? Was it here on TenForums?

Can you confirm, this system image of the old tablet was made by Windows own 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' and that the SanDisk SD was ntfs formatted before you saved the image to it? If you put the SanDisk in the new tablet can you see it in File Explorer? Can you see a folder called WindowsImageBackup on it?

By 'Windows installation recovery USB' do you mean you downloaded a Windows install USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool? Or that you made a Recovery Drive USB made by your Linx 820 tablet?

6. Pinhead Win User
    Thank you for the replies,

Yes it was a guide on TenForums, among others, I looked for making a system image. Unfortunately on double checking inside the windows backup folder, it appears not to have been successful. I've since started from scratch and not long finished. Important files/ folders were also saved separately on a flash drive.

It was Windows own Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Now I've looked at it's properties, SD card is actually exFAT. I can see it in explorer and did have a WindowsImageBackup folder which I've since deleted. It was a Recovery Drive USB made by the tablet. With all the stress at home I've not concentrated and done a proper job, been making simple mistakes.

I'll have to take a break and my time to study TensForums articles on backing up my pc. The guides and reg files downloads have been a great help in the past.

Appreciate you both taking the time to reply.

Pinhead, Jun 13, 2017
  7. Caledon Ken, Jun 13, 2017
  8. Pinhead Win User

I think I will study the article thank you, a relatively simple way to backup / restore would be great. Though not tech savvy I don't mind reading up, taking notes as I go. Having said that I do need to keep it user friendly, the nerve pain is driving me nuts lately. Typical of my luck, the replacement tablet for one with a screen fault (streaking lines) also has a similar fault.

Pinhead, Jun 13, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Oh well, at least you had your important files/folders backed up (I always say you can never have enough backups).

I use Window's own 'Backup and Restore' for all my system images, and I can concur that it's.... well... temperamental at best *Smile

The restore itself is reliable - if it can find an image to restore. All sort of things like copying to another drive or renaming folders can 'break' it. It is also vital for the recovery boot media to be the same version and 'bits' as was used to make the system image. W7 cannot restore an image made by W10, W10 cannot restore a W7 image, nor can 32-bit media restore a 64-bit image.

Macrium is the solution most on this forum recommend.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore issue: Windows cannot find image - Similar Threads - Restore issue cannot

2. Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE: Hi I am trying to update Windows and it stays on 0 for ages, then I get an error and the RETRY option:C:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version:...
  3. Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE: Hi I am trying to update Windows and it stays on 0 for ages, then I get an error and the RETRY option:C:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version:...
  4. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  5. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  6. Windows Image Restore doesn't find latest backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Image Restore doesn't find latest backup: I created a full system restore about 2 weeks ago. This is something that I do every couple of months and has been handy from time to time.I did a backup about 2 weeks ago and I need to roll back however when going to the windows advanced menu to restore from an image, the...
  7. Windows Image Restore doesn't find latest backup

Windows Image Restore doesn't find latest backup: I created a full system restore about 2 weeks ago. This is something that I do every couple of months and has been handy from time to time.I did a backup about 2 weeks ago and I need to roll back however when going to the windows advanced menu to restore from an image, the...
  8. Windows Image Restore doesn't find latest backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...

Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...: Just re-installed windows 10 after upgrading to a raid 0 m.2 set up with dual Evo 960 1TB SSDs. After troubleshooting all the issues of actually getting windows to recognize the raid, and also HAVING BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS THE BACKUP IMAGE BEFORE WHILE REINSTALLING WINDOWS 10 -...
  10. System Image restore issue.

System Image restore issue.: Upon getting my computer back from repair, I tried to restore my system image. The ssd and HDD are still the same. But when I run the system image, I get a "inaccessible boot device" Stop code. I've discovered that the problem is, the system image is restoring the SSD...