Windows 10: Restore Paint app in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Paint app in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Paint app in Windows 10 How to Restore Classic Paint App in Windows 10 This tutorial is no longer valid in Windows 10 version 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by blackroseMD1, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Restore Paint app in Windows 10

How to: Restore Paint app in Windows 10

How to Restore Classic Paint App in Windows 10

This tutorial is no longer valid in Windows 10 version 1903 and higher

See: Install or Uninstall Microsoft Paint (mspaint) in Windows 10

Restore Paint app in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows 10 build 14971 Creators Update, the Paint 3D Preview app is now included as part of Windows 10. Opening Paint from Start or running mspaint.exe will now take you to the Paint 3D Preview app instead of the classic Paint (aka: "Microsoft Paint") win32 app.

New Microsoft Paint Accessibility Features in Windows 10 version 1903

This tutorial will show you how to restore the classic Paint (mspaint.exe) win32 app for all users in Windows 10.

Restoring classic Paint doesn’t prevent you from using the Paint 3D Preview app. You will still be able to launch Paint 3D Preview from the Start menu shortcut.

You must be signed in as an administrator to restore the Paint app.

*Busted Starting with Windows 10 build 15002, this is no longer valid to restore the classic Paint (mspaint.exe) app. You can now use Open with to select "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe" for the classic Paint.

Starting with Windows 10 build 15025, the Paint (mspaint.exe) shortcut has been returned to Start > All Apps > Windows Accessories.

Stating with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Paint (mspaint.exe) will be deprecated. However, it will still be available as a free app from the Windows Store.

Note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Settings

DisableModernPaintBootstrap DWORD

(delete) = Open modern "Paint 3D" app
    1= Open classic "Paint" win32 app

Warning Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, there is a new Product alert button on the toolbar of Paint (mspaint.exe) warning:

Attachment 169451

EXAMPLE: New "Paint 3D" and classic "Paint" apps

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (Paint) or step 3 (Paint 3D) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Open Paint win32 app
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Restore_Classic_Paint.reg

Download

3. To Open Paint 3D Preview app
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_Paint_3D.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

blackroseMD1, Nov 18, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Nov 18, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Restore Paint app in Windows 10

You're most welcome Brian. *Smile

Brink, Nov 18, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks, Shawn! These .reg DL's may break a record for "Most Used"! *Smile

f14tomcat, Nov 18, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Right after:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Settings]
    "DisableModernPaintBootstrap"=dword:00000001
    and Take Ownership !

CountMike, Nov 18, 2016
  7. goatty2 Win User
    thanks paint 3d does not work on my laptop crashes when you change the colour.
    didn't work the first time so ran it again and it worked so now have paint back again

goatty2, Nov 19, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

Thanks. Paint gives me a great way to reduce photos, so I didn't want to lose it.

Wynona, Nov 24, 2016
  9. Does this still work in 15002 and 15007? I run the reg file, but when I type in "Paint" into search all I get is the Paint3D version as a result.

I can still use mspaint.exe if I find it manually though.

blackroseMD1, Jan 14, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    So far, it looks like all we need to do in builds 15002 and 15007 is just use "Open with" to select "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe" for the classic Paint.

Brink, Jan 14, 2017
  11. Cool. Thanks!

blackroseMD1, Jan 15, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, it'll stay that way in future builds.

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

mspaint.exe will not run by itself, throws warning. "Can't create document".

CountMike, Jan 15, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    mspaint.exe is currently running by itself for me in build 15007. Odd. *Confused

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    Ah, it works now, had to restart after registry hack.

CountMike, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Restore Paint app in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Paint app

2. Issues in Paint app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues in Paint app: Hello. I can't type values in these fields marked in red. I can write anywhere but not there. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issues-in-paint-app/d9835f98-be69-4345-b8d3-970004bc0598
  3. paint app is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    paint app is not working: Hello.AFtre upgrading to windows 11 i notice that pain app is not working at all.The window is opens but nothing happens.I reset the app,reinstall it but nothing happens.I have the greek version of windows 11...
  4. paint app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    paint app: Hello.Recently i have installed windows 11.I noticed that paint app isnot working.I open it but it freezes ana after a few seconds close.I can't edi a file or copy paste a screenshot with alt +prtscreen key...
  5. paint app

paint app: Hello.Recently i have installed windows 11.I noticed that paint app isnot working.I open it but it freezes ana after a few seconds close.I can't edi a file or copy paste a screenshot with alt +prtscreen key...
  6. Windows 10 PAINT app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PAINT app: MICROSOFT, fix your damn Windows 10 Paint app!!! The horizontal and vertical fields in the SKEW function no longer accept negative numbers like they did in the Windows 8 version of Paint. Make it right, you bozos....
  7. Paint app

Paint app: SKEW command cobbled. I'm using Windows 10 and Office 365. The SKEW command is supposed to skew an object horizontally left or right and vertically up and down. Skewing right is accomplished by entering a positive number in the "horizontal" field. Skewing left used to happen...
  8. MS 10 Paint app

MS 10 Paint app: Are there any good video's of how to edit screen shots or photos in MS Paint ? Thank you all ! 149880
  9. Fresh Paint app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Fresh Paint app: Please help me to get graph lines in Fresh Paint to work on my design project. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fresh-paint-app/9bc3ef14-e5f9-408d-95d5-dd6e8ae82bfd"
  10. Fresh Paint App

Fresh Paint App: What is the difference between "over paint" and "under paint"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_photo/fresh-paint-app/287dbb8e-2974-44ca-b8ec-e7a1a738f1bd