Windows 10: Restore points question

Discus and support Restore points question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is there anyway to save a restore point to an external drive? Every time I do a repair in-place install, I lose all my restore points. 81267 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Clint, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Clint Win User

Restore points question

Is there anyway to save a restore point to an external drive? Every time I do a repair in-place install, I lose all my restore points.

:)

Clint, Apr 7, 2017
  2. Rhina Vib Win User

Automatic System Image Restore Points - Question

System restore points may be deleted or missing because of several reasons. For information regarding why restore points may be deleted, as well as steps on how to resolve this issue, you can refer to

Nachappa C K
    's post on this
    link

Keep us posted.

Rhina Vib, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    Automatic System Image Restore Points - Question

Rhina -

Thanks for the reply and the link. I have a follow-up question on a comment made in the link, but first I would like to ask a followup on my original post question.

The screenshot I originally sent listed the automated restore points. When I did a restore in the Safe Mode, the automated restore points were not listed. Why is that?

See below.

Thanks,

Jerry

Restore points question [​IMG]

Jerry8AB, Apr 7, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Restore points question

Only if you are using server. Client os do not have that capability.

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=<backed up drive> /on=<new shadow copy drive> /maxsize=<allowed disk space percent usage>

SIW2, Apr 7, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    No. The restore points are stored in the hidden and inaccessible 'System Volume Information' folder on the drive to which they apply. A system image can be saved to an external drive, of course. I prefer to restore a known good image rather than rely on system restore - takes about the same time too, system restore is so slow (if it works System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091 )

...just how many time do you need to do that? How do you keep breaking your system? *Smile

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Bree, Apr 7, 2017
  6. SIW2 Win User
    Disk mgmt. rt click a disk. select "Properties" and there is the shadow copy tab. Not on client os.

Restore points question [​IMG]

Saving Windows Image to a separate drive results in the creation of shadow storage on that drive, 30% by default.

SIW2, Apr 7, 2017
  7. SIW2 Win User
    The first system image copies data containing blocks to a .vhd (x) . When creating subsequent images new /changed data is written to the .vhd(x) file, older data being pushed out of the VHD and into the shadow copy storage.

Selecting an earlier image restores the earlier blocks from the shadow copy.

SIW2, Apr 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Restore points question

There's a basic fallacy there. If you are thinking that after you have done the in-place upgrade repair you could then use restore points created before you did that, well, you can't.

Why? You have a fresh copy of all the system files as of when that build came out. And the registry has been rewritten with some default keys restored.

System restore points created before the repair install simply don't apply and aren't compatible with the OS that then exists. That's why they are gone- because they are no longer any use.

dalchina, Apr 7, 2017
  9. Clint Win User
    I did it because some one here told me to do it to fix a problem that I had. It didn't fix my problem, but created others.

Clint, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Restore points question

1. Restore points question - Similar Threads - Restore points question

2. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  3. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  4. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  6. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  7. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  8. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  9. Restore Point question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Point question: I have restore point space limited to 2Gigs on my Tablet. I've noticed that when a new restore point is created at the top of the list, an old one is removed from the bottom of the list. Sooner or later, I will end up with totally new restore points. Is there a way to save...
  10. Restore Point Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Point Question: Hello, If I Posted this previously, I don't think I did, I apologize. That old age thing. Concerning Restore Points on W10. My understanding is that these are created "automatically". Or, you can do it "Manually". I seems to remember on W7, you could create...