Windows 10: Restore Points removed

Discus and support Restore Points removed in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I find that the oldest restore points regularly disappear even though I have system recovery on and more than adequate disc space allocated. Am I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Tobur, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Tobur Win User

Restore Points removed

I find that the oldest restore points regularly disappear even though I have system recovery on and more than adequate disc space allocated. Am I missing something?

:)

Tobur, Jan 12, 2016

2. How to remove restore points?

Hi,

Please follow the steps below to remove restore points in Windows 10.

Step 1: Press Windows+Pause Break key to open System and choose
    System protection.

Step 2: Select the hard disk whose system protection is on, and click
    Configure.

Step 3: Tap the Delete button.

Step 4: Choose Continue to remove all restore points on the selected drive.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jan 12, 2016
  3. MDehghan Win User
    How to remove restore points?

I have created restore points manually, how can I delete them manually because there is no option for deleting restore points?

Restore Points removed [​IMG]

MDehghan, Jan 12, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Restore Points removed

How much disk space did you allocate for the shadowstorage.

5. davidhk Win User
    That is how restore points are meant to.....................

excerpt: Source
    Restore points are created to allow users a choice of previous system states. Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are created before key changes are made to the system.
    System Restore has an automatic restore point space-management feature that purges the oldest restore points to make room for new ones, while still enabling the user to recover from any recent destructive changes.
    ...................................................................................

Note :
    10 to 20 GB of disk space allocated to restore points storage should be enough.

davidhk, Jan 12, 2016
  6. Tobur Win User
    I have System Protection on and set to Max Usage 30GB

Tobur, Jan 12, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    That should be enough space. See once how many restore points you have. The command is

vssadmin list shadows

That will list restore points in all partitions. Make sure you count only the ones for the partition in question.

8. Tobur Win User

Restore Points removed

I have seven restore points - the earliest being Dec. 26th. - but a number of earlier ones have disappeared.

Tobur, Jan 12, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Hmm, with 30GB of shadowstorage you should have room for appr. 40 restore points - unless yours are exceptionally large. Can you see the size of the restore points that you have. Usually they are between 500MB to 1GB.

10. Tobur Win User
    Thanks for reply - unfortunately I am not a PC whiz kid (I am 79!) - how can I see the size of individual restore points? System Protection Configuration shows Max Usage set at 31GB and Current usage 4.75GB (which I presume is the total used by Restore Points??

Tobur, Jan 12, 2016
  11. PJLLB Win User
    Major Windows updates will sometimes delete recovery points due to the extent of the updates. I think one occured around the mid-December time frame.

PJLLB, Jan 13, 2016
  12. Tobur Win User
    Earliest restore points are still mysteriously disappearing - cannot figure it out!

Tobur, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restore Points removed

1. Restore Points removed - Similar Threads - Restore Points removed

2. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point: hello everyone, I created a restore point before installing some display driver and now i think i need to go to old drivers.... i wanted to know if i used that restore point will i lose any packages that i installed after that restore point like opencv ,kera etc submitted by...
  3. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  4. restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore point: restore to two months ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/b75193ce-d3b2-41ed-9f91-31bc2f3fe5fc
  5. Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points: -in- sI find no restore points and the configure window shows some thing is using that space all the time. I did a manual restore point and it was over written in a very short time.There is no name shown for this use.of the restore space. An others similar HP All-in-one...
  6. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  7. restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore points: I keep regular images with Macrium Reflect, free. I create one manually with each new cumulative update. I also make a restore point each week. Due to their poor reliability record, would you say I am wasting my time with these restore points and to just rely upon Macrium?...
  8. Windows update removed restore points

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update removed restore points: so one has to recreate that. Too bad one cannot go back. Wanted to use a restore point because all of a sudden my Outlook 2016 is gone. Off course one cannot find this when scrolling down after hitting the left corner and hitting then "all apps", where it is not seen. I...
  9. How to Remove Old Restore Points?

How to Remove Old Restore Points?: Toshiba laptop L55 series, W10 Home Anniversary. With my older laptop running XP, I use to be able to manually delete older system restore points. I don't see a way to do that on my current machine. When I open System Restore, it shows all the restore points, but doesn't...
  10. Windows update removes earlier restore points

Windows update removes earlier restore points: Some earlier automatic Windows 10 updates removed all my earlier restore points and set the protection settings of the C: disk off. The recent Windows 10 update (Jan 29) again removed all my earlier restore points. This time the protection setting of my C: disk was still on,...