Windows 10: Restore Points

Discus and support Restore Points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; How can I permanently save a restore point. Every time I set one it gets pushed out of the way with automatic updates. How can I stop automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by doncole, Jun 15, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

Restore Points

How can I permanently save a restore point.

Every time I set one it gets pushed out of the way with automatic updates.

How can I stop automatic updates until I complete my restore?

I know it shouldn't take that long. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to run System Restore in safe mode.

I want to do that before I loose that last restore point.

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jun 15, 2017

2. System Restore Points: No check points created.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel
    • Search for Recovery, and then select Recovery.
    • Click on Configure System Restore.
    • Check if Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.
    To configure Restore point manually kindly refer to the below given link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 15, 2017
  3. System Restore Points: No check points created.

Does windows 10 make restore points on it's own. Have had windows 10 installed for a few days and when I checked for restore points, there were none. I make my own at this time. Sorry it did make one when I installed Classic View. I installed windows updates
    today, no restore points were made before they were installed.

So what settings are we missing to get system or other restore points in windows 10., are is this another problem Microsoft forgot to fix.

Original title: System Restore Points.

camper1935, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Restore Points

TairikuOkami, Jun 15, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Lets find out what the problem is that you are trying to fix first?
    System Restore only restores Windows files and Drivers, it does not restore personal Documents, Music, Pictures etc. This is not a replacement for a backup.
    If Windows does an update, and the computer is running well afterwards, you would want to do a Restore Point from that Update, unless the computer isn't running well after the update.
    If you like the state of your computer currently, it would be better if you made a System Image of your C: drive and save it to a USB HDD rather then obsess over System Restore points, which aren't very reliable. If disaster strikes, you can restore your Image file and your computer will be back to the date and time the Image was created.

spunk, Jun 15, 2017
  6. doncole Win User
    Thanks Spunk for your response,

My case is: It was fine just before this last update.

I agree with you about USB HDD. In fact I did that once a long time ago.

I have OFF80......00-00.mrimg Disk Partition image 44,596,115 KB 10/19/2016
    CF6480.....00-00.mrimg Disk Partition image 337,568 KB 10/19/2016

If this is what I need what do I do with them?
    And if it dosen't work out can I revert It back?

All I have right now are the Restore Points.
    I just ran System Restore successfuly recently.

The problem is I forgot how I did it.
    I tried to boot in safe mode. But I don't know how to access System Restore from there.
    I've got to try System Restore from here because after the last upgrade my computer is running so slow that it barely tolerable.

I need a way to stop these upgrades because every time they come in they slow my computer down.

Perhaps If I start at the begining you will understand my situation better.

I bought this Toshiba Satellite C-55B Intel(R) Celeron(R) N2840 @ 2.1GHz..

It came with Windows 8.1 pre installed.

At some point the Windows 8.1 got corrupt.

I couldn't reinstall it because I didn't have the key. I kept getting the "Get Windows 10 it's free" prompt.

So I did. I was having problems with it (I forget what).

Somebody on your forum suggested I download and install the Anniversary Update. I did and it ran so slow (on this old made for 8.1 machine) that it was intolerable. So uninstalled the Anniversary Update. Then It ran a little slower but was ok. As time passed Microsoft kept installing all these updates. Making my computer go slower and slower.

As far as reverting back to 8.1, When I made room for the Anniversary Update (I needed 20GBs) I deleted all my 8.1 files (I didn't think I needed them anymore). Including the 8.1 restore files.

What I would like to do is remove all the updates since the Anniversary Update.

Anyway if I could get things back to where I was before that last upgrade I would be happy.

Don Cole

doncole, Jun 16, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Jun 23, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Restore Points

Tony K, Jun 23, 2017
  9. doncole Win User
    This has not been my case. When I got the Anniversary Update, my machine ran so slow that it was intolerable. Somehow I was able uninstall it. Then it ran ok.
    As more and more upgrades came in the computer got slower and slower. With this last upgrade it became so slow that it is intolerable. I had a Restore Point but lost it. How can I uninstall this last upgrade?

I'm afraid to use your Upgrade Assistant because every time I mess with Windows, my computer gets slower and slower. I definitely don't wasn't reinstall the Anniversary Update again.
    what can I do to speed things up?
    Don Cole

doncole, Jun 23, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Jun 23, 2017
  11. doncole Win User
    doncole, Jun 24, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Holy smoly, Don! That's a lot of partitions! Wow! No wonder why you have so many problems.

IMO wiping the drive and clean install is the only way out.

Did you upgrade during the free upgrade offer? Do you have digital license/entitlement rights?

If not sure > WinKey/I > Update & security > Activation. What does it say?

Tony K, Jun 24, 2017
  13. doncole Win User

Restore Points

Restore Points [​IMG]

Perhaps If I start at the beginning you will understand my situation better.

I bought this Toshiba Satellite C-55B Intel(R) Celeron(R) N2840 @ 2.1GHz..

It came with Windows 8.1 pre installed.

At some point the Windows 8.1 got corrupt.

I couldn't reinstall it because I didn't have the key. I kept getting the "Get Windows 10 it's free" prompt.

So I did. I was having problems with it (I forget what).

Somebody on your forum suggested I download and install the Anniversary Update. I did and it ran so slow (on this old made for 8.1 machine) that it was intolerable. So uninstalled the Anniversary Update. Then It ran a little slower but was ok. As time passed Microsoft kept installing all these updates. Making my computer go slower and slower.

As far as reverting back to 8.1, When I made room for the Anniversary Update (I needed 20GBs) I deleted all my 8.1 files (I didn't think I needed them anymore). Including the 8.1 restore files.

What I would like to do is remove all the updates since the Anniversary Update.

Anyway if I could get things back to where I was before that last upgrade I would be happy.

As far as too many partitions I had the same amount of partitions before the last upgrade and I was working ok.

Don Cole

doncole, Jun 24, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    Ok. IMO you have one of the worse systems I have ever seen sorry to say. You kept upgrading and the install keeps making more partitions. It is my opinion, of which I think many here would agree, is that a drive wipe and clean install is the way to go. Your system will then run a lot quicker without problems. Up to you. Post if you want to continue.

Tony K, Jun 24, 2017
  15. doncole Win User
    Restore Points [​IMG]

Thank you HippsieGypsie,

The upgrades aren't creating the partitions. I created the partitions on purpose. The partitions weren't causing a problem before this last update.

I agree I need a fresh install but if I do. It's going to be Windows 8.1.

Since I installed this free Windows 10 version I've had nothing but trouble.

I've spent more time working on Windows than on the project I want to work on.

VERY IMPORTANT > Is there a way I can uninstall this last update?

I got side tracked on that Macrium Reflect when I should have been working on System Restore. When Installed Macrium Reflect it bumped my Restore Points off. I'm so mad at myself for doing that.*Mad

I have 30 days.
    Might as well uee it. What size USBs should I get?

Thank you for all your help,*Smile

Don Cole

P.S. More to come.

doncole, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

Restore Points

1. Restore Points - Similar Threads - Restore Points

2. I cannot create restore point!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot create restore point!: Hello, I have a question! When i try to create restore point, first it shows and error 0x81000203 and after that in System properties / System Protection i cannot create restore point and it cannot find any available drivers! Pls help!...
  3. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...
  4. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...
  5. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  7. System Restore Point Questions

System Restore Point Questions: This system has a C: boot drive and a D: data drive. In the System Protection dialog, selecting Confiture for D: brings up "System Protection for Data Drive D:." Does turning protection on for D: just use space on D: to store restore points for the whole system? Or does it...
  8. System Restore Point Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to change Windows restore point to go back before the automatic restore point set by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Windows restore point to go back before the automatic restore point set by...: Hi, I have a Windows 11 Laptop. I accidentally deleted some downloaded system files. I want to restore to a previous date, but Windows won't let me go beyond the automatic system restore point. How can I go back, bypassing the system restore point by days or even weeks?...
  10. How to change Windows restore point to go back before the automatic restore point set by...

How to change Windows restore point to go back before the automatic restore point set by...: Hi, I have a Windows 11 Laptop. I accidentally deleted some downloaded system files. I want to restore to a previous date, but Windows won't let me go beyond the automatic system restore point. How can I go back, bypassing the system restore point by days or even weeks?...