Windows 10: Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD?

Discus and support Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I want to recover from a Windows 8.1 System Image. From system restore, when it finds the Image, there is as field checked stating "Format Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD?

Hi,

I want to recover from a Windows 8.1 System Image.
    From system restore, when it finds the Image, there is as field checked stating "Format Disk Drive" to suit the Image.
    Is this meaning that Windows will format the entire Disk, deleting all other User Partitions on Disk?
    Or will only format Drive C: and EFI and Boot Partition?
    It is not clear what will happen with the ohter Partitions.
    Thank you

:)

Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016
  2. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Nazalur Win User
    F8 not working

must be something went wrong during drive cloning procedure... Have you cloned the entire drive or partition only?

You should clone the entire drive. If the target one is less space - than the source drive data space should be reduced to an equal or less.

As I see - the "wim" images is still present. For now, when what's done is done, try to search the web for "wim image" format dealing. There are some tools, that you can restore the "wim" image to your drive.

Good luck!

Nazalur, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Are we talking about the built in Imaging utility?

Is the drive configuration exactly as it was when you created the image? Did you include any other partitions in the image other than the 4 critical ones? If you upgraded to Win 10, did it add its own Recovery Partition and if so, how?

I will say when re-imaging a drive, it is not supposed to bother any partitions if the same partition configuration is present. But of course it might end up doing the entire drive so caution is very much advised. If you have data in another partition, perhaps copy that data somewhere else for safe keeping.

And of course you know you will need the 8.1 media to recover the 8.1 image.

Saltgrass, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    Hi Saltgrass,
    Yes, I am talking about the Windows Buitl-In Image.
    I did not add/delete/change any Partition.
    I was in 8.1 , upgraded to 10-1511 and then to 10 Anyversary. I rolled back to 1511 and wanted to roll back to 8.1 but that was not possible.
    Next, I put a System Image from 8.1 and now it says it want to Format the Drive.

Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    I wish I could say for sure, but I really can't. What on the drive are you wanting to keep? It is a very small drive but I suppose that is normal for those devices.

I asked about the 8.1 to 10 upgrade because it may have added another partition which would have changed the size of the C: drive. The message may be referring to that but I can't say for sure.

Saltgrass, Aug 7, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    No, that is another PC and it has 1TB internal HDD, and 750GB are my own files.
    I have not noticed that Windows put another Partition on system, also size on Drive C is almost the same as before.
    Well, I will wait if somebody else can say something about this.
    Thank you

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD? - Similar Threads - Restore Image format

2. Formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting HDD: Why creating partition does not generate healthy partitions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-hdd/bd6e4a63-8334-4c10-9ba3-4c82e381a01f
  3. HDD Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format: This might be a stupid Question lolHow do I tell for If an External USB HDD has been Formatted or not .... so I know for IF I NEED to Format it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-format/b956aefa-2570-4e3a-b8d6-e8715e386bba
  4. Restore Image to HDD using a second computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Image to HDD using a second computer: My desktop computer failed to boot. Windows was an SSD drive. I have a System Image on an external HDD, in a subfolder. Can I use a second windows computer to restore the the image from the external HDD to the SSD drive I can connect the SDD to this PC also as an external...
  5. Win 10 Image Restore

Win 10 Image Restore: Hello all, I am trying to create a disk image of my Win 10 system, including drivers and applications. My intent is to create a master image which can be imaged on all new computers in my organization. Is this possible in Windows and / or is it possible with other software...
  6. How to restore entire computer from a system image?

How to restore entire computer from a system image?: Hello, how I can restore my entire computer from my external hard disk system image? I did created a system image (no disc or media) at left side "create a system image" option in Windows 7 backup and restore menu. I have windows 10 1809 professional I also noticed normal...
  7. Restore system image to a smaller HDD

Restore system image to a smaller HDD: I want to restore my system to a new HDD The old drive is 2Tb and the new one is 1Tb. The data on the drive amounts to around 120Gb but the partition cannot be reduced below 937Gb and my new drive has only 931Gb usable space. I have the same problem trying to clone. I've...
  8. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  9. Backup/Restore Procedures; Full[entire]Drive Imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Restore Procedures; Full[entire]Drive Imaging: Backup/Restore Procedures (as done by ) Have been paying closer attention to my external USB HDs, I am much more aware that rather than ATI (Acronis) or Macrium failure -- it has been several times an explorer.exe not communing with respective external HD failure. It...
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847