Windows 10: Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10 How to Restore Files from Windows Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information The Backup and Restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to: Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to Restore Files from Windows Backup in Windows 10

Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature (aka: Windows Backup) was originally included in Windows 7. It was deprecated in Windows 8 and removed in in Windows 8.1, but has been included in Windows 10.

While you can use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to restore any Windows 7 backups on your Windows 10 PC, you can also use it to back up and restore files on your Windows 10 PC.

Windows Backup will backup all files in the libraries, folders, and drives you choose or let Windows choose. You will have a choice to include a system image in the backup. You can also choose to have these items be backed up on a regular schedule.

After you have set up Windows Backup and created backups, you will be able to restore files from these backups.

This tutorial will show you how to restore files from a Windows Backup in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to restore files from a Windows Backup.

Note Backups are created in sets also known as backup periods.

When a backup is created the first time after you set up Windows Backup, Windows will create a full backup of all files in the folders you selected into the drive:\computer name\Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS\Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder location. The Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains Backup files #.zip folders that are your actual backed up files for that date and time period.

When you create a differential backup, it will create a new full backup saved into a new Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

When you create an incremental backup, it will create a backup all of the files that have changed since the last backup, and saved in a new Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder in the current Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (backup drive) or step 3 (Settings) below for how you want to restore your files from a Windows Backup.

2. To Restore Files Directly from Backup Drive
    A) Open the drive (ex: "E") that you saved your Windows Backup to, and click/tap on the item named with the same computer name (ex: "BRINK-W10PC") you created the backup on. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also right click or press and hold on this item, and click/tap on Restore Options.

B) Click/tap on either the Restore my files from this backup or Restore files for all users of this computer option you want to do, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. To Restore Files from "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Settings
    A) Open Settings, click/tap on the Update & security icon, click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) link under Looking for and older backup on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) by opening the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) icon.

B) Click/tap on a Restore option you want to do below. (see screenshot below)
    • Click/tap on either the Restore my files button or Restore all users' files link to restore files backed up on the current location, and go to step 4 below.
    • Click/tap on the Select another backup to restore files from link, and continue on to step 3C below.

C) Select the backup location you want to restore files from, click/tap on Next, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Note If you wanted to select a network location, then:

1) Click/tap on the Browse network location button. (see screenshot above)

2) Click/tap on Browse, browse to and select the network location (ex: "\\BRINK-ROUTER\MyBook"), click/tap on OK in "Browse For Folder", and click/tap on OK in "Restore Files (Advanced)". (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Choose a different date link. (see screenshot below)

5. Select to Show backups from when (ex: "All") you want, select a Date and time backup period you want to restore from, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. Do step 7 (Search), step 8 (Browse for files), and/or step 9 (Browse for folders) below for how you want to add files and folders to the restore list. When finished, go to step 10 below.

7. To Search Backup for Files to Restore
    A) Click/tap on the Search button.

B) Type what you want to search for in this backup, click/tap on the Search button, check the boxes of files you want to add to the restore list, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 above. (see screenshot below)

8. To Browse Backup for Files to Restore
    A) Click/tap on the Browse for files button.

B) Browse to and open the folder in the backup you want, select one or more files you want to add to the restore list, click/tap on Add files, and go to step 6 above. (see screenshot below)

9. To Browse Backup for Folders to Restore
    A) Click/tap on the Browse for folders button.

B) Browse to and open the folder in the backup you want, select one or more folders you want to add to the restore list, click/tap on Add files, and go to step 6 above. (see screenshot below)

10. If you would like to remove any files and folders from the restore list, then you could select one or more items, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

Note Clicking/tapping on the Remove all button will remove all added files and folders from the restore list.

11. When you are ready to restore the files and folders added to the list, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

12. Do step 13 (original location) or step 14 (specified location) below for where you want to restore your files.

13. To Restore Files and Folders in the Original Location
    A) Select (dot) In the original location, click/tap on Restore, and go to step 15 below.

14. To Restore Files and Folders in a Specified Location
    A) Select (dot) In the following location, and click/tap on the Browse button. (see screenshots below)

B) Browse to and select the location (ex: "Desktop") you want to restore to, and click/tap on OK.

C) Check or uncheck to Restore the files to their original subfolders at this location (ex: "Desktop") for what you want.

D) Click/tap on Restore, and go to step 15 below.

15. Windows Backup will now start restoring the files. (see screenshot below)

16. If there is already a file with the same name in the location (ex: "Desktop") you are restoring to, you will be prompted to click/tap on Copy and Replace, Don't copy, or Copy, but keep both files for what you want to do. (see screenshot below)

17. When your files have been restored, click/tap on Finish to close this window. (see screenshot below)

Note You can click/tap on the View restored files link to open the location (ex: "Desktop") where the files were restore to.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 13, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10

installing windows 10 backup and restore later

1. Backup Vista
    2. Upgrade Vista->Windows 7 -> Windows 10. Get activated.
    3. Backup Windows 10.
    4. Clean Install Windows 10. Make sure still activated
    5. Backup a fresh copy of Windows 10
    6. Restore

To perform step 4 i will need to have downloaded an iso and create a dvd or usb to boot from.....so will not this ISO be ok and the one you mention ?

reddwarf4ever, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Jetster Win User
    windows 10 worth the upgrade?

I just tested Windows image back up in windows 10. They put the system imaging back into Windows after taking it out in Windows 8. Last month after I did a clean install I made an Image.
    Its a little hidden. After creating an image. To restore:
    Settings/update and security/recovery/restart now/advance/use image

It literally took 10 minutes to restore my system

To make an Image just use Backup and restore in the control panel it says (Windows 7)

Jetster, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 7 backup

Haven't used it but sounds like it based on Backup and Restore Center info found here. Says you can choose what files and folders if you want and also mentions a system image. Quicken has it's own backup option under one of the menus, use that too. I have for my mom and it's a breeze. Just reinstall app and use Restore in Quicken.

Wrigleyvillain, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10

1. Restore Windows Backup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Backup

2. Why is Backup and Restore Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Backup and Restore Windows 7?: This is something that's been bothering me for a while. I've noticed that in the Control Panel the option to back up and restore is Windows 7. It doesn't matter if you're running Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or Windows 11 the option is seemingly always for Windows 7. I...
  3. Why is Backup and Restore Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Backup and Restore Windows 7?: This is something that's been bothering me for a while. I've noticed that in the Control Panel the option to back up and restore is Windows 7. It doesn't matter if you're running Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or Windows 11 the option is seemingly always for Windows 7. I...
  4. Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...: Hello Windows and Microsoft friends.My Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build internal drive's capacity is 500GB but only about 260GB's filled up. The USB external drive is 500GB and is set to do the backup up, using the 'Backup and Restore Windows 7' feature, once a week. Whenever I...
  5. Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...

Does 'Restore & Backup Windows 7' Feature Require the External Backup to be Double the Main...: Hello Windows and Microsoft friends.My Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build internal drive's capacity is 500GB but only about 260GB's filled up. The USB external drive is 500GB and is set to do the backup up, using the 'Backup and Restore Windows 7' feature, once a week. Whenever I...
  6. I ran a Backup & Restore on my Windows 10. Now it became Windows 8.1 and I cannot login...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I ran a Backup & Restore on my Windows 10. Now it became Windows 8.1 and I cannot login...: I was running a quick scan and all of a sudden backup and restore started running. After the cycle completed, the Windows reverted back to Windows 8.1. Then it forced me to create a local account. I tried to login using my old microsoft account that had been working. I got...
  7. I ran a Backup & Restore on my Windows 10. Now it became Windows 8.1 and I cannot login...

I ran a Backup & Restore on my Windows 10. Now it became Windows 8.1 and I cannot login...: I was running a quick scan and all of a sudden backup and restore started running. After the cycle completed, the Windows reverted back to Windows 8.1. Then it forced me to create a local account. I tried to login using my old microsoft account that had been working. I got...
  8. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  9. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  10. I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...

I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a...: I cannot restore my microsoft money backup, it does not recognize the password after a windows 11 restoration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-restore-my-microsoft-money-backup-it-does/7529be63-c1d3-40ca-b7cd-fa0fe340649d