Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question

Discus and support Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494. Each has a valid Win10 license. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oao, Jul 8, 2018.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494.
    Each has a valid Win10 license. The 494 had been upgraded in place from Win7, which has corrupted the user mgmt component.

I want to restore the backup of the 679 laptop to the 494 laptop using Macrium Reflect. The question is if there will be any license problem and, if so, what? Is there a way to change the license before, during, or after the restore to prevent or solve the problem

:)

2. Frederik Long Win User

Two Identical backups

These two backups are not in the least identical.

• Image Backup. This backup file contains a complete image of your system drive. You can use it to restore Windows in case your hard disk fails. You create a new image maybe once a year.
    • File History. This backup contains your personal data files. You can use it to restore any of your files in case you lose or damage them. This backup is updated continuously.
    It seems that the genius who designed this system did have his thinking cap where it belongs, on his head. You could, of course, argue that the image backup should not contain user data. Indeed, but this shakes the whole foundation of storing user data on
    the system partition. I keep it elsewhere.

Frederik Long, Jul 8, 2018
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jul 8, 2018
  4. FP521 Win User

Restore backup image to multiple computers

I have 2 identical laptops identically OS and software configured that I keep in sync via OneDrive. I take frequent backups. Currently I have to back up each separately.

I am trying to find a way to backup either and use the same image to restore either of them when necessary. AFAIK, the way license keys work, this isn't possible.

Does anybody know of a way to do that?

FP521, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question - Similar Threads - Restoring backup another

2. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  3. Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrim Free Backup / Restore Stall: I have been trying to restore my first Windows 10 image. For some reason I have not been able to get into the Macrium forum. Maybe somebody has some thought to get me over a stuck place? Here the path to my stall. Hopefully it will make sense to those with experience?...
  4. Backup and restore with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore with Onedrive: I recently was fixing my partner's laptop drive via hooking it up to my PC. I was trying to format the laptop's drive and in the process I also formatted my P c's drive. But luckily within the last 2 weeks prior to the formatting, I was finally able to use my OneDrive...
  5. How to Backup and Restore Drivers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Backup and Restore Drivers in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Device Drivers are software which lets you use anything on PC with the OS. There are drivers for graphics card, keyboard, mouse, and everything else. Now it may so happen that for some reason a device has stopped working, or [...] This post How to Backup and Restore...
  6. Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact

Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact: I am thinking of buying a new SSD and adding it to my desktop PC I have a Macrium 7 backup image of Windows 10 as well as other program files and data files of my current HDD. Is it possible to restore my macrium W10 image to a new SSD and leave the current HDD intact with...
  7. Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question

Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question: I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494. Each has a valid Win10 license. The 494 had been upgraded in place from Win7, which has corrupted the user mgmt component. I want to restore the backup of the...
  8. How to Backup or Restore Explorer navigation pane Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Backup or Restore Explorer navigation pane Quick Access?: Hi, there, This is my first topic as I am new here. I registered in the forum to ask for help from you, as you can see that he has extensive experience in Windows. I tried to solve my problem by searching in google and in this same forum but I didn't find any solution...
  9. How to backup and restore the Windows Registry

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to backup and restore the Windows Registry: Quick Jump What is the registry? Why backup the registry? Wait, can’t I just copy all the files as I would usually do to backup files? Method 1: Backing up and restoring the registry using the Registry Editor (not recommended) Method 2: Backing up the registry using System...
  10. backup/restore installed Edge extensions

in Browsers and Email
    backup/restore installed Edge extensions: Hi, Is there any way to backup/restore installed Edge extensions? 108901