Windows 10: Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question

Discus and support Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494. Each has a valid Win10 license. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oao, Jul 8, 2018.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question

I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494.
    Each has a valid Win10 license. The 494 had been upgraded in place from Win7, which has corrupted the user mgmt component.

I want to restore the backup of the 679 laptop to the 494 laptop using Macrium Reflect. The question is if there will be any license problem and, if so, what? Is there a way to change the license before, during, or after the restore to prevent or solve the problem

:)

2. Two Identical backups

These two backups are not in the least identical.

• Image Backup. This backup file contains a complete image of your system drive. You can use it to restore Windows in case your hard disk fails. You create a new image maybe once a year.
    • File History. This backup contains your personal data files. You can use it to restore any of your files in case you lose or damage them. This backup is updated continuously.
    It seems that the genius who designed this system did have his thinking cap where it belongs, on his head. You could, of course, argue that the image backup should not contain user data. Indeed, but this shakes the whole foundation of storing user data on
    the system partition. I keep it elsewhere.

Frederik Long, Jul 8, 2018
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jul 8, 2018
  4. FP521 Win User

Restore backup image to multiple computers

I have 2 identical laptops identically OS and software configured that I keep in sync via OneDrive. I take frequent backups. Currently I have to back up each separately.

I am trying to find a way to backup either and use the same image to restore either of them when necessary. AFAIK, the way license keys work, this isn't possible.

Does anybody know of a way to do that?

FP521, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question - Similar Threads - Restoring backup another

2. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  3. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  4. Windows Backup & Restore Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup & Restore Question: I wonder if automatic concurrent backups get faster after the initial backup is completed via adjusting the files from the initial backup? Or does it make a completely new copy every time it backs up files? I can't seem to find an answer to this question by searching....
  5. Windows 7 Backup/Restore question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 Backup/Restore question: I have used this program for some time but need to clarify 2 questions: 1.- Does it perform incremental or differential backups? I have read that it does only incremental, however after every backup I notice that changed files are available in their entirety, which would...
  6. Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop: Hello, I just broke my laptop (Asus S510UN, it's an i7, 16GB, NVME) it slipped from my hands and fell. I am looking to buy another of the same configuration may not be the same brand. Too bad, because it was recent (2018), worked very well and I took a while to install all...
  7. Restoring Image Backup to an identical PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Image Backup to an identical PC: I have created an image backup of my Windows 10 in order to give my laptop for service. In case the laptop is replaced with a similar one (having also preinstalled the same Windows 10 version), is it possible to restore the backup image without any problem with the...
  8. Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question

Restoring a backup to another identical laptop -- license question: I have two identical laptops, identically configured, except that one runs Win10 1511.679 and the other 1511.494. Each has a valid Win10 license. The 494 had been upgraded in place from Win7, which has corrupted the user mgmt component. I want to restore the backup of the...
  9. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions: I created 2 disk images using Backup and Restore (Windows 7) I*renamed the first images folder*using the date. But, when I boot into the repair disc and choose select another image, I don't see the folder name. I'm not quit sure which one I would be restoring. Can...
  10. backup and restore question

backup and restore question: Hi everyone, I clean installed windows 10 from previously having windows 7, however I noticed in control panel>system and security>backup and restore, that it shows windows 7 in brackets. I've posted a screenshot below, and a screenshot of the next screen if I click on...