Windows 10: Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

Discus and support Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; New here and first time posting here so I apologize if Im in the wrong section. So I made a file back up onto a 2TB My Passport external hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Orion78, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Orion78 Win User

Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

New here and first time posting here so I apologize if Im in the wrong section.

So I made a file back up onto a 2TB My Passport external hard drive using Windows 10 File History backup. I later renamed the folder to something other than the standard "FileHistory" windows names it. Thinking my files were just backed up I was happy and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 after formatting my partion for clean install, I noticed everyone of my files windows had added the Date/Time stamp to the original file name. Its very annoying having the time and date added to the file names. Is there any possible way to restore my files back from my Ex HD. Ive tried using the File History restore but it wont recognize the back up. Even after renaming the folder back to the default "FileHistory" the back upcreated before I renamed it?

:)

Orion78, Sep 29, 2017
  2. Wukong543 Win User

Windows 10 Pro File History not working

My File History kept turning off when I enabled it using services.msc. I renamed the File History folder under "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows" as TheBatsWhiskers did and was able to turn on File History and it is staying on, yay!

Wukong543, Sep 29, 2017
  3. Gymbos Win User
    How to delete backup files from File History in Windows 10

That in a nutshell is the problem, I have my File history set up to back up daily and to keep for 1 month, to restore a file I have to look a each one to be sure I'm backing up the right one, the computer can't guess but if could go back and delete the files
    that are obviously not need anymore it would make the restore process much easier because they would be gone from the lists. I find it is easier to restore a file from the backup HDD (copy, rename, and replace) then wander around in the File History Restore
    folders.

Yes.

Gymbos, Sep 29, 2017
Thema:

Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

1. Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder - Similar Threads - Restoring File History

2. File history folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  3. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  4. restore file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore file history: I continually get a message - for years now - that I need to restore my file history. How do I do that? Evidently I am unble to back up my files to an external hard drive until the file history is restored....
  5. File History - restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History - restore: I backup my files using FileHistory. How do I restore a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/34fcbace-3bd4-43ae-8c0d-c8ec6cbbb17f
  6. Restoring from File History

Restoring from File History: I backed up my files using File History. The computer I was using was lost in a fire. I need to restore my files to anew computer but File History on my new computer will not recognize the external source. I could just copy the files but then they would keep the backup...
  7. File History restore

File History restore: I have a laptop with a cracked screen that I need to have repaired and wont have it for a few days. I've got my File History and an extra laptop that I can use in the interim. How do I: 1. restore / use my files from File History on the extra laptop without crossing over...
  8. Restore history files

Restore history files: i have tried to restore my files after it was refreshed. my history files say no files found. i tried to open the file but the open button is dark and won't work. i asked cortana and virtal assist with success. how do i get my files back? i have windows 10 for over 2 years......
  9. File history restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restore: My Toshiba tablet keeps. Demanding file history be turned on. The setfings say it is on. How do i turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/73a47ff4-d9cd-474d-aff3-4514dabe3428"
  10. Restore Files in File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Files in File History not working: On July 12, I activated File History and set it to backup Daily. Since then I made changes to a document on July 13 and again on July 14 for testing purposes, but when I went to restore an earlier version of that document on July 14 I only saw the July 12 version. I then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will backup drive be recognized after renaming