Windows 10: Restoring HDD image to SSD

Discus and support Restoring HDD image to SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sam9, Jun 23, 2018.

1. sam9 Win User

Restoring HDD image to SSD

I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management, these volumes are Dynamic Wherein my HDD partitions are Primary , logical etc. I restored the Win 10 image to SSD but it is not booting. Please let me know, where I am doing mistake because if I restore on HDD then there is no problem.

:)

2. Smears Win User

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Jun 24, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jun 24, 2018
  4. Jstn7477 Win User

Can I restore an SSD image to a normal hard drive disk

What I was saying was the reverse, cloning a 500GB drive with 90GB of actual data to a 240GB SSD. Can't restore a 90GB system image made by Windows to my 240GB SSD because I installed Windows on a 500GB HDD.

Jstn7477, Jun 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Restoring HDD image to SSD - Similar Threads - Restoring HDD image

2. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  3. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  4. Restore Image to HDD using a second computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Image to HDD using a second computer: My desktop computer failed to boot. Windows was an SSD drive. I have a System Image on an external HDD, in a subfolder. Can I use a second windows computer to restore the the image from the external HDD to the SSD drive I can connect the SDD to this PC also as an external...
  5. Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD: Hi, it's really frustrating that Microsoft makes things so unideal and tough for us users. The new SSD is connected to the computer through a USB 3.0 to SATA cable, so right now it's external. My computer still runs using the old failing HDD, so I need to get this done...
  6. After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.

in Windows 10 Support
    After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.: A year ago, I bought a new PC and there was pre-installed on the HDD Windows 10 1709. Then I added from within Windows 10 the Safe Mode option to the boot menu. So I could see 2 options in the boot menu -- 1 for the routine boot and 1 for the Safe Mode boot. Few weeks ago I...
  7. Restore system image to a smaller HDD

Restore system image to a smaller HDD: I want to restore my system to a new HDD The old drive is 2Tb and the new one is 1Tb. The data on the drive amounts to around 120Gb but the partition cannot be reduced below 937Gb and my new drive has only 931Gb usable space. I have the same problem trying to clone. I've...
  8. Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive: I have a 1TB hdd which contains 400GB of files Is it possible to back up and restore the larger hdd and restore the hdd and restore it to the smaller ssd? 93697
  9. Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Win Image will format the entire HDD?: Hi, I want to recover from a Windows 8.1 System Image. From system restore, when it finds the Image, there is as field checked stating "Format Disk Drive" to suit the Image. Is this meaning that Windows will format the entire Disk, deleting all other User Partitions on...
  10. Image restore on larger SSD

Image restore on larger SSD: Is it possible to restore a Windows 10 system image taken from a 60Gb SSD to a new 240gb SSD on the same computer? I am thinking of using the windows 10 installation USB to boot then repair to recover the image onto the 240Gb SSD. Would this work? Does partition size affect...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trouble with system image restore with ssd

2. can I restore a system image of a hdd to ssd

3. can i restore my hdd image to a ssd of the same size

4. imaging larger hdd restoring to smaller hdd is better than cloning,
  5. win10 formatted ssd put in image from exterior hdd