Windows 10: Restoring my Documents folder

Discus and support Restoring my Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I was just in the process of moving my Documents Library from my C drive to my D drive when I made a mistake: In the Properties window,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by billybudd44, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Restoring my Documents folder

Hello,

I was just in the process of moving my Documents Library from my C drive to my D drive when I made a mistake:

In the Properties window, under the location tab, I meant to create the new location D:\Documents, but instead I just left it as D:\

Now my D drive and my Documents Library appear to have somehow merged, and I can't seem to do anything to separate them again. When I try to Restore Default, I get an error message saying "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under 'D:\System Volume Information.' Access is denied." And when I try to move it to where I originally wanted it to go, the new location D:\Documents, I get an error message saying "Can't redirect a parent into a child. The specified path is invalid."

Is there any way to fix my mistake? I guess I can probably just make a new folder in the D Drive called Documents, move all the folders that were in my original Documents Library there, and call it a day - but I'd really like to be able to undo what I've done and then redo it properly, so that all pathways are 'clean,' if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

billybudd44, Feb 14, 2017

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Well i tried this a couple of times but when i restore my Downloads folder loction the Documents folder is restoring too and the location of these both is "C:\Users\(My name)\Documents".

Chris Tinica, Feb 14, 2017
  3. Restored Files in New Directory

I had to restore my computer from a crash, wiping out my documents. The restore created a new folder under the "User" directory. When I restored my documents from a backup, they went into the old Use folder. I have been syncing that old folder to a cloud
    service. I want to go back to the original User folder as the default. Is there any way to do that.

RussellBen, Feb 14, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Restoring my Documents folder

Brink, Feb 14, 2017
  5. Thank you so much, Brink! It worked.

billybudd44, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Restoring my Documents folder

1. Restoring my Documents folder - Similar Threads - Restoring Documents folder

2. How can I restore my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I restore my Documents folder?: Hello,I wanted to change the location of my Documents folder from OneDrive to my E drive but the normal way of going about it wasn't workinggoing into Properties>Location and changing it there. So I looked online for other solutions and i ran this command:...
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  5. How can I restore the Document Folder?

How can I restore the Document Folder?: My computer runs Windows 11 Pro. I do not know the correct computer-related terms or anything more than input data.I accidentally deleted the Document Folder in This PC from the recycle bin. When I click on Document Folder the pop-upI have tried to restore the recycle bin. I...
  6. After restoring from a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.

in Windows 10 Customization
    After restoring from a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.: In Windows 10, I wrote a little desktop app and I store user data in C:\Users\Public\Documents\MyCoolApp\I thought that Windows System Restore didn't touch this area. But am i wrong?I just recovered from a restore point and my folder contents have been reverted.Ideas?...
  7. After restoring form a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After restoring form a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.: In Windows 10, I wrote a little desktop app and I store user data in C:\Users\Public\Documents\MyCoolApp\I thought that Windows System Restore didn't touch this area. But am i wrong?I just recovered from a restore point and my folder contents have been reverted.Ideas?...
  8. After restoring form a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.

After restoring form a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.: In Windows 10, I wrote a little desktop app and I store user data in C:\Users\Public\Documents\MyCoolApp\I thought that Windows System Restore didn't touch this area. But am i wrong?I just recovered from a restore point and my folder contents have been reverted.Ideas?...
  9. After restoring form a Restore Point, my Public Documents folders is changed.

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Need help restoring Documents/My Games Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help restoring Documents/My Games Folder: So when I got my computer it started uploading everything to Onedrive which pissed me off and I deleted everything from there thinking it'd just, y'know, clear Onedrive. Instead I've lost everything in my Documents folder and got no idea what to do, I need the My Games folder...