Windows 10: Restoring VM shares

Discus and support Restoring VM shares in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi all, A while back a user (I think it was @slicendice) posted a regedit needed to enable the option to restore virtual machines which had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Oct 15, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Restoring VM shares

Hi all,

A while back a user (I think it was @slicendice) posted a regedit needed to enable the option to restore virtual machines which had been exported using the share button in vmconnect screen.

I have clean installed, and it will not work now, saying I do not have permission (before it juts failed), and I suspect reason is I have not done the regedit. Unfortunately, I did not take a record of the regedit, and it is buried in a previous Insider build thread, and could not find it.

So if anybody can help....

Cheers

C.

:)

cereberus, Oct 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 on VirtualBox VM Activation

I have a OS X Host on which I have VirtualBox. I have a valid (retail) Win7 Pro VM which I upgraded to Win10 Pro.

I like to make a backup of the VM incase of failure, I can just import my VM and back to work I go. When I do this, the restored VM is no longer activated and the product key that I used before is no longer valid.

How can I backup/restore my VM's without having to reinstall everything from scratch (Windows 7 to Windows 10) just so I can use the licensing that I already own.

I am not trying to run two machines at once. I just want my one VM with my valid license to be able to be backed up and restored efficiently.

Allan|Douglas, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Whunter21 Win User
    Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

Our Win 10 VM is connected to a domain but the issue for me was turning on File and Printer sharing.

go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Under File and printer sharing, choose the radio button that says "Turn on file and printer sharing".

Whunter21, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Restoring VM shares

Try to rename in registry:
    Code: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HyperV.VMImport.1\shell\open[/quote] to
    Code: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HyperV.VMImport.1\shell\runas[/quote] and see if it works.

slicendice, Oct 15, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    to
    Code: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HyperV.VMImport.1\shell\runas[/quote] and see if it works.[/quote] As our friends across the Pond say "You are dah man"!

Worked first time.

Have you fed this back to MS?

Come to that, how did you ever find this out in the first place?

cereberus, Oct 15, 2017
  6. *Thumbs

I found this solution when I was trying to figure out how to run any type of registered files in elevated mode by only modifying the registry.

Seems Windows is only looking for either an Open or RunAs command in the registry which is defined by the path. Open is the normal mode while RunAs elevates the command defined. Of course this also means you must be in the Administrators group in order for it to work. *Smile

Glad I could help!

slicendice, Oct 15, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    *Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile*Smile

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restoring VM shares

1. Restoring VM shares - Similar Threads - Restoring shares

2. How to share & download Cloud PC Restore Points

in Windows 10 News
    How to share & download Cloud PC Restore Points: [IMG]Just like on your local Windows PC, you can create your own restore points on your Cloud PC and in addition to that, you can also copy that restore point to an Azure Storage Account. In this post, we will show you how to share & download Cloud PC Restore Points. How to...
  3. is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing share feature from the recent Edge...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing share feature from the recent Edge...: is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing Share feature from Edge? Does it care??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-doing-anything-to-restore-the-missing/52c4bbbe-b14e-4e17-9678-ce32c61ff07d
  4. is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing share feature from the recent Edge...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing share feature from the recent Edge...: is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing Share feature from Edge? Does it care??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-doing-anything-to-restore-the-missing/52c4bbbe-b14e-4e17-9678-ce32c61ff07d
  5. is microsoft doing anything to restore the missing share feature from the recent Edge...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Restore "share a file"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore "share a file": I had an extension called "share a file" but it disappeared. It was from the Mcrosoft store but I can't locate it. You could click on the share a file and send something to someone. Is there any way to restore it ?...
  7. Restore "share a file"

Restore "share a file": I had an extension called "share a file" but it disappeared. It was from the Mcrosoft store but I can't locate it. You could click on the share a file and send something to someone. Is there any way to restore it ?...
  8. Restore "share a file"

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Permissions Corrupted on Share Drive with continuious Win 10 Updates and Trying to restore.

Permissions Corrupted on Share Drive with continuious Win 10 Updates and Trying to restore.: To make matters worse I had a blue screen of death after and update and had to do an ISO recovery.I found this Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-do-not-have-permission-windows-10-mapped/546ca881-c04a-461d-a042-7e6ef0a420c6 , but it doesn't take...
  10. Permissions Corrupted on Share Drive with continuious Win 10 Updates and Trying to restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions Corrupted on Share Drive with continuious Win 10 Updates and Trying to restore.: To make matters worse I had a blue screen of death after and update and had to do an ISO recovery.I found this Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-do-not-have-permission-windows-10-mapped/546ca881-c04a-461d-a042-7e6ef0a420c6 , but it doesn't take...