Windows 10: Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Discus and support Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks, hope everyone is well. I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by donegaljoe, May 2, 2016.

1. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Hi folks,

hope everyone is well.

I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I installed the backup on a standard HDD, but getting lots of problems when I actually reach the desktop, monitor keeps flickering from black to windows all the time.

I used Acronis but also tried Macrium reflect as well to make the backup, but same thing the flicking screen when I reach the desktop after startup.

I wonder what is the problem here, the windows that I backed up on the SSD is working fine, but a little worried that if I do have to reinstall the backup to its present location on the SSD then I will get the flickering screen.

1 is it because I have windows 10 on an SSD that it wont work properly if cloned to a standard HDD?
    2 Some other reason, partition size, Microsoft having inbuilt methods to prevent this or something else do you think
    I would like to get to the bottom of this problem, Never really had many problems restoring backups of windows 7.

Many thanks
    Joe

:)

donegaljoe, May 2, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

I have to assume that the cloning software you used made the SSD bootable. You can only confirm that by checking the software's documentation and confirming that you followed the procedure correctly.

I also assume that you have made a system image of the HDD. I also assume that you made a Recovery drive or a System repair disk unless you have an installation disk [which can also do the same job]. You will need this if the cloning has not worked correctly
    and you need to restore your system.

The BIOS might not be capable of booting from a SSD/HDD in the CD bay. Whilst that can be a convenient location for doing the cloning, you will almost certainly need to remove the original HDD and fit the SSD
    in its bay instead.

Put the old HDD in a USB enclosure so that it can be used as a storage drive but do not connect it to the computer while you are trying to get the SSD to boot. Bootable HDDs & SSDs have "signatures" that the system will look for during booting and finding
    multiple signatures will confuse it & probably stop it booting at all.

If, when the SSD has proved itself, you decide to fit the old HDD in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive then you will need to format it first so hold off on this until you are completely confident in the SSD.

- - - - - - - - -

When I did this job last year, I used Acronis TI to "clone" to the SSD. Actually, what I did was use Acronis TI to restore a system image to the SSD. That is, in effect, cloning it but I thought that it would be a more reliable way of doing it as TI system
    images are tolerant of changed hardware being found.

• I put the SSD in the CD bay to do the image restoration.
    • I removed the old HDD and put the SSD in its bay.
    • The SSD booted correctly.
    • After a while, I reformatted the old HDD and fitted it in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, May 2, 2016
  3. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, May 2, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Hi,

Sounds more like a video driver problem to me. Can you try reinstalling these drivers or is the system impossible to work on ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 2, 2016
Thema:

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

1. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD. - Similar Threads - Restoring window backup

2. For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    For future reference, how do I restore an Acronis image backup?: I have Acronis to backup my whole computer (C:) weekly. I have it backup a a full version on my PC every 5 incremental versions (so for 4 weeks it backs up an incremental version, and then on that 5 week is backs up a whole version, if I am understanding this correctly)....
  3. Win10 - Backup & Restore to Ext HDD,etc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 - Backup & Restore to Ext HDD,etc: Hi,can anyone tell me the quickest/best way to backup my files from my desktop Win10 computer to my ext hdd?.... :) Approx 360gb's worth. And h-o-w to find out the size of the RAM on my computer as well? Plus h-o-w to find out wether I've got Win10 'home' Or...
  4. Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup: Should I switch Windows 10 backup off and is Acronis Backup a good program. If so I will order Acronis online. Thanks. I had a problem recently where Windows 10(7) backup would stop at 97% and run all night. I never had this happen before until the recent update to version...
  5. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  6. SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy

SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy: Hi, I am about to create a new system. I have a SSD 500gb hdd (lets call it SSD), I will install my programs on. Then use my 4TB hdd (lets call it HDD-A ) for libraries (picture, music, ect). I am using macrium reflect free for backup. Question #1: I wonder how I should go...
  7. My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please

My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please: My new computer (8 GB RAM, i5) has Windows 10, which I like, but I am having trouble getting to grips with its “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” Control Panel setup, which seems to offer many more options on what to include in a backup compared to my discarded Windows 7...
  8. Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12

Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acronis Backup 12 I am curious if there is any advantage of using a commercial backup software when we already have Windows 10 Backup. I am not using sophisticated features or elaborate configurations. Instead, I want to have peace of mind knowing...
  9. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  10. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd: I am debating if I want to upgrade this laptop to a ssd from a standard hdd. the main questions are will there be much of a performance increase with a ssd instead of a standard hdd, and if I do where do I get the product key to reinstall the windows 10 pro. it was upgraded...