Windows 10: Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It might find a driver to connect the extra drive, but I believe it it always sbest to have everything connected, and then let the Macrium software go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by steveh69, Oct 14, 2015.

1. steveh69 Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

Thanks Cliff, once I get the SATA to USB connector with the New HD connected to it. I will attach everything I will be needing for the Image copy to the new HD before making my final Recovery DVD. I will update here with my results on Sunday once I have all my tools in place.

steveh69, Oct 15, 2015
  2. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

You really don't need that adapter. Build in the new HDD, connect the 1T external HD (once you made sure Macrium sees your backup), boot from the DVD and restore to the new drive. Done.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 15, 2015
  3. steveh69 Win User
    I have one more question, the new HD is right out the factory celophane. Does it have to be formatted before I install it into the Laptop? So going forward before I do this, all I need to do is recreate the Rescue DVD with my 1 TB External drive that contains my image I want to restore back to the new HD. All I need to confirm is that I can browse to that drive an can see the image right?

steveh69, Oct 16, 2015
  4. DoItJust Win User

If your 1 TB ext. drive is connected and powererd on, can you see it in the BIOS?

DoItJust, Oct 16, 2015
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

The new drive does not have to be formatted or be treated in any way.
    You create the rescue media using Macrium which I assume is installed on the original HD. Either using a DVD (a waste of money) a CD or a thumb drive. Macrium will automatically compile a list of drivers it needs to find all your peripheral hardware etc. Connect the external 1Tb drive to make sure it's recognized and usable from within Windows.
    After the rescue media is created you test it so you're certain it is bootable and Macrium finds the backup image sitting on the external drive.

Once you're sure that's fine you can remove the old HD and put in the new one and proceed with restoring the backup to the new drive. All you need to do is make sure all partitions are selected, Macrium will do the rest for you.
    Once it has finished you close down the backup software and it will reboot automatically.
    Enter the bios and set it to boot from your new drive and that's it. Windows should now load just like before.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 16, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Regardless of whether or not it shows up in bios, when it was available under Windows it should also be available under the WinPE environment the rescue media is loading.
    If not something is missing on the rescue media and it should be recreated. Macrium pops up a list of possible versions of WinPE, pick the latest one on the bottom of the list just to be safe.
    It then compiles a list of drivers it think it needs to recognize all required hardware.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 16, 2015
  7. DoItJust Win User
    Agree, just wanted to start from the beginning *Party

DoItJust, Oct 16, 2015
  8. steveh69 Win User

Guys, I'm happy to report this morning that all is well with my image restore on my laptop. Thanks to all you who contributed and were patient with me during this process. I made this happen it and saved me a ton of time not having to re-install all my apps and the best thing I get to keep my Windows 10 upgrade! You guys Rock! Since Macrium Reflect Trial expires in 30 days, I really think I will be purchasing this product as its a very handy too to have. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your awesome support!

Steve

steveh69, Oct 16, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Glad to hear all went well.
    FYI, there's also a free edition of Macrium Reflect which does 90% of all you'd probably ever need.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 16, 2015
  10. steveh69 Win User
    That's good to know! I'm going to mark this thread resolved, thanks!

steveh69, Oct 16, 2015
  11. acmanten Win User
    When you are all done, and it is working.. if you will delete all the Macrium Trial files and programs on your HD - then you will be able to load the MACRIUM FREE version, and it will do all you need. ( have been using the MACRIUM free software and it is really super. ((*** when I first loading Macrium, I download the Trial version, but later changed to the FREE version)) When you have the Free version you will also get all the updates of the software as a new version is released.
    Best to you. Cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 16, 2015
  12. steveh69 Win User
    Thanks Cliff, will I still be able to keep my Rescue DVD to create new images or will I have to recreate it once I download and install the Free version of Macrium?

steveh69, Oct 17, 2015
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Not Cliff but the rescue media are identical between the versions so no need to start over again.
    What I do advise to do if you like is to add the Macrium recovery entry to Windows bootmenu.
    Doing so loads the recovery environment (same as on the dvd) from your drive when you click it during the boot process. Naturally it can't bail you out when the drive is dead or when windows refuses to boot at all.

It's the second menu item in Macrium Reflect's "Other Tasks" menu bar.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 17, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    In addition, you can also create the rescue environment to boot from on any internal/external disk including the disk that you have the image saved in except on Windows OS disk.
    FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015
  15. acmanten Win User
    Steve

Yes, you can keep it, and after you get everything fix as you like it, and all working make another IMAGE file and keep it also. If you have enough room as I do, I maintain 3 of them, and make sure that you give them a name that will mean something to you other than just a name and date. Macrium is a great program and I have never had any problems in restoring a file make with it.
    Please send me a note or question anytime, as I will be glad to answer. ...and after you get everything working you may wish to make an additional Macrium Rescue Bootable file as you may be using some additional drivers by that time. It never hurts to have two that you know are working.

What AV software are you using for monitoring your system? I am using Norton 360 and malwareBytes, and they are protecting it well - so far. Best 2 u... send me a note anytime.

acmanten, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Restoring Image using

2. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  3. testing Macrium Reflect image restore completely

testing Macrium Reflect image restore completely: I am evaluating Macrium Reflect Free Edition Version 7.2 Build 4473 on Windows 10 Home version 1903 build 18362.388, desktop PC. I've been successfully creating full and differential images the last few days and I'd like to try to test an image restore as if my main drive...
  4. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  5. Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect

Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect: I made an Image backup of Windows 10 64 Bit the other day using the free version of Macrium Reflect v.7. I am having a spot of trouble on my Dell laptop and decided I would restore the system from Macrium. What I failed to do, I am beginning to understand, was to make the...
  6. Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image

Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image: I have been finding my way. While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files. Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?. Is this correct? If so I am thinking...
  7. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  8. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  9. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524