Windows 10: Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition

Discus and support Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi: I built a new desktop to get Windows 10 as my old hardware with Windows 7 was not upgradable. I have been able to install Windows 10Pro except that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jgretired, Mar 16, 2016.

1. jgretired Win User

Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition

Hi: I built a new desktop to get Windows 10 as my old hardware with Windows 7 was not upgradable. I have been able to install Windows 10Pro except that I am getting frequent disk errors ( system trying to clean up at boot time). I have another
    disk and a free partition. I made a complete system image backup on an external drive and system repair disk. I would like
    to restore the backup image to the new partition and erase the old image on the disk that is giving me trouble. Any suggestions as to how I go about. Thanks

:)

jgretired, Mar 16, 2016
  2. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10: fails backup to system image

An image backup can be made on an internal drive partition of a different HDD as well as an external drive. As you said the image can be used by the Windows 10 repair disc to restore your operating system on a new hard drive if the original one corrupts
    or fails. I run my images every two weeks.

Lord Stanley(2), Mar 16, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Restoring Windows 10 system image to a different drive partition - Similar Threads - Restoring system image

2. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  3. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  4. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring Windows 10 System Image

Restoring Windows 10 System Image: Is it possible to install recovery media on the same external hard drive as the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-windows-10-system-image/1737c692-1129-4665-ad09-81159c764e5b
  6. Restore system image to another pc (with different hardware)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore system image to another pc (with different hardware)?: My main pc just broke down but luckily I have a system image on a external drive. Because of these current times I won’t be able to fix my main pc for a while, however I do have an older system. I want to know if my system image will work on that pc or do I have to clean...
  7. System Image in a partition

System Image in a partition: Hi, Is it possible to create a system image into a partition that is in the same physical hard drive? So if I have Drive C with the OS, and Drive D with nothing in it, can I create a system image and put it into Drive D?...
  8. No available drive for restore system image

No available drive for restore system image: My hard drive crashed. I bought a new one, used a bootable USB to restore a system image and got the error message. I searched online and received many options. Tried them all to no avail. I reinstalled Win 10 Pro and tried to do it again. No luck. What am I missing?...
  9. Windows 10 system image restore

Windows 10 system image restore: Saved an image of Windows 10 ssd along with data hard drive , attempted to restore using recovery CD, the data drive was copied but the system image restore failed with message 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect". I am using two new target drives . I have looked at about...
  10. Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]

Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]: I currently have one drive that contains a System Reserved partition (which includes the boot files). The status is System, Active, Primary Partition. I have another drive with the C: partition. The status is Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition....