Windows 10: restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition

Discus and support restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I created a user name titled "Visitor". How can I (without a lot of registry changes) allow Visitor to run only 5 or 6 applications. I have created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mtmcdonough, Jan 26, 2017.

1. restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition

Hi. I created a user name titled "Visitor". How can I (without a lot of registry changes) allow Visitor to run only 5 or 6 applications. I have created a unique desktop for Visitor with only those icons. Visitor is not a family member.

Or can I create a unique start menu that only shows the 5 or 6 applications to Visitor?

I found out how to restrict Visitor to one application but not more than one. Windows 10 Home edition.

Thanks!

:)

mtmcdonough, Jan 26, 2017

2. restrict user to 5 or 6 applications Windows 10 Home Edition

MarkMcDonough45, Jan 26, 2017
  3. SO439 Win User
    Where do I allow specific programs for Windows 10 Family Safety?

I have seen this done in group edit. Go to run type gpedit.msc. There is a world of settings in here to shut of literally anything you want.

Software restrictions are under, computer configurations and user configuration but I think you should go with user config only. Then click on

administrative template, then system, scroll down to "run only specific windows applications". I believe when Win 10 finally gets all of this set up in a nice interface in control panel, you will simply see a simplified version of these steps.

If you click once (no double) o "run only specific windows applications" you will get more specific information on the left hand window. Be careful when editing Group Policies.

SO439, Jan 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition

As you probably know this is possible using the Group Policy Editor, not available in the Home Edition.
    You could have a look at sites such as this; try observing normal caution; I've not tried this so no guarantees.
    How to Enable Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Home Edition

How to Block (or Allow) Certain Applications for Users in Windows
    (Updated for '10- describes Regedit, then GP Editor).

There may be a suitable parental control type program that can do this. (Some AV's offer parental features).
    (Win 7 had a parental control feature that supported this- I believe it was withdrawn in '10- vague memory).

** E.g. McAfee Internet Security offers:
    Explicitly block or allow a restricted user profile the ability to use

specific programs installed in the computer and limit their access to
    Internet Newsgroups
    MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY 5.0 Manual (Page 31 of 128)

dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If the Visitor is a casual user a possible scenario would be to create a Virtual Machine and simply install those applications you want the user to run -- this is probably the safest way but could be a bit of overkill.

Another way would be to install a HOME VPN and only present the relevant desktop to your user - also a bit overkill - but both these would be great learning tools !!!!.

Other than that I can't really suggest anything here -- Windows by its nature is a single user system which makes this type of stuff a bit tricky -- I'm sure some Windows Gurus might be able to come up with something.

Windows HOME edition IMO seems a bit basic once you want to do anything a bit more complex than just run typical programs from your own user id.

Controlling Internet is easier -- even just setting up a proxy server for "Visitor" -- plus there's all sorts of options in your Router and Windows Firewall -- but that's a totally different issue.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 26, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I think using an appropriate security suite is a neat option...

dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

actually that's probably a HIDEOUS solution as you are depending on 3rd party software which often fails after update - and to even THINK of installing Mcafee on any HOME computer --'nuf said.

Incidentally instead of PAYING for a security suite to achieve this solution - I think you'd be better off upgrading to W10 PRO and then use standard Group Policy editor.

The trick of getting it to work on W10 HOME - referred to in an above post is neat - but there again those sorts of tricks are likely to stop working at any time after updates etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 26, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

..not recommending McAfee in particular, or indeed at all. Just saying that's a possible direction in which to look for a solution.

There are parental control programs too, but most seem to be more focussed on internet issues than program control.

dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  9. Thanks very much for your suggestions. What about this idea: move all the entries from the public start menu to that of the administrator start menu. Then add just a few entries into the start menu of the Visitor.

If I understand this correctly, the public start menu entries flow down to all the users. But the users can have additional start menu entries too. I know this works with desktops. If the public start menu has few entries and Visitor's start menu has a few more, would Visitor only show those few apps in its start menu?

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks, again! ~mark

mtmcdonough, Jan 26, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Easily defeated- just use search, or launch the program from its installation folder.

Of course if you carefully install certain programs just for one user, that would help, making sure only the programs you want the other user to have access to are installed for all users.

dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  11. DavidY Win User
    The nearest equivalent is family settings, I believe?
    Family Settings - Manage for Child in Windows 10

But seemingly it doesn't allow control on what software can be run, except by age rating.
    Plus the user being restricted needs a Microsoft account, which is probably no good for a general Visitor login.

DavidY, Jan 26, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 26, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

One thing that may help in controlling what Visitor can access is to make them a member of the Guests group, amongst other things the Settings app becomes 'out of bounds'.

Like the Group Policy, you haven't got Local Users and Groups in Home either - but you don't need it. Run Netplwiz, select the Visitor account and click Properties. There's a Group Membership tab here. Select 'Other' and pick Guests from the list.

Thema:

1. restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition - Similar Threads - restrict user run

2. I need to restrict application access on a Windows 10 PC for only one local user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to restrict application access on a Windows 10 PC for only one local user account: I need to restrict a local autologin standard user account to allow only a small set of apps; I can do this quickly with a domain account using GPOs, but there has to be an option.The machine is called Kiosk1; the local user account is called KioskoneI need to restrict it to...
  3. I need to restrict application access on a Windows 10 PC for only one local user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need to restrict application access on a Windows 10 PC for only one local user account: I need to restrict a local autologin standard user account to allow only a small set of apps; I can do this quickly with a domain account using GPOs, but there has to be an option.The machine is called Kiosk1; the local user account is called KioskoneI need to restrict it to...
  4. What to restrict application for user to use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to restrict application for user to use: Hi , I want to restrict user to use specific applications , just like the PC in public area such as library . I just found there are some way to do it - kiosk mode and applocker , just would like to ask what is the most common way to do it ? I hv learned how to setup kiosk...
  5. What to restrict application for user to use

in Windows 10 Support
    What to restrict application for user to use: Hi , I want to restrict user to use specific applications , just like the PC in public area such as library . I just found there are some way to do it - kiosk mode and applocker , just would like to ask what is the most common way to do it ? I hv learned how to setup kiosk...
  6. User access restriction to only user profile

User access restriction to only user profile: Hi Team,How can I restrict a user to only access his profile C:\Users\exampleuser1.Rest everything should be locked such as folders in C drive the user shouldn't be able to create any folders in C drive or any. Standard read or write access to Program Files or Windows should...
  7. Internet on Windows only works with a few applications?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet on Windows only works with a few applications?: Hey! My problem is that with my pc running on Windows 10 pro and connected with a LAN cable I only use the internet connection for certain websites. This means that I can open YouTube and Google, but I can't access Epicgames.com or the Epicgames Launcher. Using a WLAN stick...
  8. User restrictions

User restrictions: How can I restrict a user profile from downloading programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-restrictions/701495f4-6697-427d-ad20-16d961188fa1"
  9. Application Guard in 1809 Home Edition

Application Guard in 1809 Home Edition: Good Morning, I have done a clean install of W10 1809 HOME Edition and I'm confused as to whether I should have Application Guard available for me to install. I can see that up to 1803 it was only available to PRO versions but I can't see whether 1809 HOME should now have...
  10. Multi user login on Home edition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multi user login on Home edition: My win 7 pro allows multiple users to be logged in at the same time. Is this available on win 10 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/multi-user-login-on-home-edition/d83a730f-bd42-42e5-969c-9feb1a14f26d