Windows 10: Restricting Local Users

Discus and support Restricting Local Users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Please don't mind. I know this topic does not belong to this forum but I posted this earlier in User Safety Forum and even yesterday also posted in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sam9, Mar 18, 2016.

1. sam9 Win User

Restricting Local Users

Please don't mind. I know this topic does not belong to this forum but I posted this earlier in User Safety Forum and even yesterday also posted in User Safety Forum but did not receive any reply. So I thought to try in this Forum. My problem is as follows
    :
    I have two users in Win 10. First is My Self an Administrator and second one is a Local User. In Computer Management I stopped sharing of My Self Folder. It is showing now "not shared". In C drive user folders, I clicked My Self Folder and clicked stop sharing but even than Local User is able to view My Self Documents and Desktop etc. In my XP machine, i have no problem and Local user can not view the Admin User Documents.Please advise.

:)

2. user accounts

You need a complex password if you're going to use a Microsoft account. There is no such restriction for local user accounts. See

How to Create a local user account in Windows 10

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 18, 2016
  3. RoyPCBoy Win User
    Ristrict ability to change Microsoft account to local account on Windows 10

Is there a way to restrict a Microsoft account user to a local user on Windows 10? I have Microsoft Family Safety but for some reason my son can change his account type to a local user. Still leaves him as a standard user but the Microsoft Family Safety
    limitations are no longer enforced.

RoyPCBoy, Mar 18, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Restricting Local Users

This is unclear - a local user can still have admin rights. You have to change account to be a normal account as opposed to an admin account.
    If that is not the issue, change your folder permissions to only allow youself read/write access. May need to remove 'everybody' from permissions list.

Many guides how to change permissions (see 8.1 guides if you cannot find a specific 10 guide - method has not changed).

Sharing rights are for external access via the network - not for other users on same pc - they are governed by permission rights.

cereberus, Mar 18, 2016
  5. sam9 Win User
    Thanks a lot. Even after googling, I could not find the solution which you provided me that also with the lesson that permission and sharing is two different things. But I must say that Microsoft has made a simple thing very complexed that is why I was not getting answers in the forum even so many people viewed the thread. Thanks a lot again for answering in this forum though actually this querry belongs to other forum.

6. gtspeck Win User
    I wonder if MS thought about creating individual user rights?*Think

gtspeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restricting Local Users

1. Restricting Local Users - Similar Threads - Restricting Local Users

2. Restricting Windows Workgroup local admin user from installing appliccations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Restricting Windows Workgroup local admin user from installing appliccations: I want to restrict the Windows Workgroup user to install the applications and i want to allow the user to install the specific applications. User will be having Local Admin privilage. Any solution?...
  3. Restrictions to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restrictions to local account: HiI would like to control what apps and how long can be used on local account. How it is possible to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restrictions-to-local-account/3efb3f72-f97b-4149-a4c7-edb4d41a40a2
  4. Does restricting the locale setting prevent users from changing the timezone?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does restricting the locale setting prevent users from changing the timezone?: Hello all, I do have a question regarding locale settings and what it does. Currently I do have a windows 10 client device. On that client device, there is a GPO enforced which, "Disallow user override of locale settings".Does disallowing users to override the locale settings...
  5. how to I restrict permissions to create local users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to I restrict permissions to create local users: I am trying to make it so I can no longer make new user profiles while retaining the rest of my admin privileges can anyone help me? submitted by /u/GZero006 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k04c9z/how_to_i_restrict_permissions_to_create_local/
  6. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account.: Below is a thread in official microsoft forum that contains the details of my question. but it is not solved there. Kindly help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-user-restriction/db209dcb-df3d-4c0c-8a59-d07983f5f161 submitted by /u/tsambit...
  7. Guest User Restriction

Guest User Restriction: Hello. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account. With my admin account I did Properties > Security > Remove all access for that user account. And when I switch to the other account it just shows NTFS drive and inaccessible. But within that account when I...
  8. Creating custom restrictions for Local User in Windows 10

Creating custom restrictions for Local User in Windows 10: Hello there, How I can create custom restrictions for a Local Account in Win10 which can't be able to affect the Admin Account's data. Like limited file access, limited settings access limited controlling over the system, etc. If possible, please suggest me the way! Thanks...
  9. User restrictions

User restrictions: How can I restrict a user profile from downloading programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-restrictions/701495f4-6697-427d-ad20-16d961188fa1"
  10. Restrict User Locales for Date and Time Formats in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restrict User Locales for Date and Time Formats in Windows: How to: Restrict User Locales for Date and Time Formats in Windows How to Restrict User Locales for Date and Time Formats in Windows The date and time formats for their account in Windows. If you like, you can restrict users to a specified list of user locales. Only...