Windows 10: Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

Discus and support Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by xy677, May 29, 2017.

1. xy677 Win User

Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

Hi All

I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7 machines. We use our own internal WSUS server for updates.

The Windows 10 machines seem to ignore this setting altogether and use ALL the bandwidth during the day when downloading Windows Updates.

So after a bit of research I came across something called "Delivery Optimization" and there is a GPO for this at:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization

but after setting the "Download Mode" to "Simple" the machines are still using ALL the bandwidth.

So does anyone know how I can restrict the bandwidth Windows 10 machines use during business hours when downloading Windows Updates from our WSUS server?

The more I read about it the more confused I become. We're running Windows 10 Pro 1703 on all the machines.

:)

xy677, May 29, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

can you tell me how to stop (FINALLY STOP) windows from installing updates

Windows 10 is becoming increasingly a service. (Microsoft likes to call it 'Windows as a Service' although it's not completely there yet.) It's not an operating system for people with restricted bandwidth.

People with restricted bandwidth are better of using a mobile OS like Android or iOS which were built from the ground up for restricted bandwidth.

BulldogXX, May 29, 2017
  3. hadimassa Win User
    3G internet access on lapttop and Nokia X6

Might also be provider restrictions (bandwidth).

hadimassa, May 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

For consideration:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/config...ttings-windows

Otherwise you might wish to consider using either
    - setting Windows updates to notify only (not download)
    or
    - setting the connection (can be done with both Wifi and ethernet) as 'metered'
    on a scheduled basis to define periods when downloads are permitted.

You will be aware of other background updates:
    apps - on a default 4 hourly basis
    app data - which apps are allowed to do this in the background

dalchina, May 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth - Similar Threads - Restricting Updates bandwidth

2. bandwidth control for windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    bandwidth control for windows update: hi, i am using windows 10 home. so, after installing version 2004, my bandwidth control settings under delivery optimization is greyed out . but when i was using version 1909 i could set bandwidth limit. how can i fix this? plz help.[ATTACH]...
  3. bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bandwidth: bandwidth speed test not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwidth/df4d733a-45d0-4027-806a-f43ea5f4c9a6
  4. Windows update bandwidth throttle not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update bandwidth throttle not working: "Windows update > Advanced options > Delivery optimisation > Advanced options" supposedly allows the bandwidth to be limited for Windows update downloads. I have mine set to 50% as I only have 2mb bandwidth, which is slow at the best of times. Windows chooses to ignore this...
  5. bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bandwidth: why my bandwidth is not showing up 5ghz even though driver do support. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bandwidth/c4927a5e-257f-439f-a9a4-ba54703b9e7f
  6. All of Sudden restricted Download Bandwidth Extreme Frustration

All of Sudden restricted Download Bandwidth Extreme Frustration: I am getting a wifi bandwidth of 4-5 Mbps for download whereas for Upload I am getting 40 Mbps. My connection is 5Ghz and is dedicated FTTH. Hence, I called service provider and checked in multiple laptops with Mac , Android and Windows 8 all are getting very well 40 Mbps...
  7. Bandwidth

Bandwidth: Why does my windows 10 beats laptop have limited internet even connected to wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/bandwidth/760c751b-ca20-47ce-ac40-0e95c9227bde
  8. How to control updates to conserve bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to control updates to conserve bandwidth?: I volunteer in a senior center where we have 10 Windows Home computers connected via ethernet to provide computers with internet connectivity. We also have 4 stations where the seniors can plug in their own equipment. Our computers are all configured to treat this network...
  9. Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning: Hi everybody The new Fall Creator update brings the much awaited update bandwidth management but I have a question and I could not find an answer online. The control panel allows you to set a percentage of the bandwidth - percentage of what? How does Windows know my...
  10. Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10: How to: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 How to Limit Bandwidth to Download and Upload Windows and App Updates in Windows 10 Delivery Optimization has been synonymous with Peer-to-peer but few people are aware that it is also used as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wudo use wsus & BITS