Windows 10: Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages

Discus and support Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone, my first post here! *Smile I have a strange puzzling issue with the Windows Update pages on my system, which has been there ever since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DaveH1, May 13, 2017.

1. DaveH1 Win User

Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages

Hi everyone, my first post here! *Smile

I have a strange puzzling issue with the Windows Update pages on my system, which has been there ever since I updated to Windows 10 version 1703, the so-called "Creators Update".
    Everything seems to be functioning OK, it's just annoying me!

There is a notice in red at the top of the first page that says "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation". It includes an asterisk at the start for some reason, I don't know if that is significant.

The same notice appears at the top of the "Advanced options" page, but nowhere else.

This is something that I would normally expect to see if I had Group Policy restrictions in place, but I have no Group Policies configured, in fact I have the whole Group Policy system disabled, as I have no use for it.

I can't see any options that are disabled/greyed-out that I wouldn't expect to be, and I'm not aware that any are missing. I thought that it might have been the "Include driver updates when I update windows" check box on the Advanced options page, but I gather that this was removed in the final release of version 1703 anyway.

So, has anyone got any idea why I'm seeing this?
    It's a standalone system, not connected to a domain or anything like that. It is on a home network, but no Homegroup is configured. Searching the registry has provided no clues as to why I'm seeing this notice.

Any suggestions gratefully received, and I would of course like to know if anyone else is seeing this!
    Cheers, Dave.
    *Smile

:)

DaveH1, May 13, 2017

2. web page restriction?

You could try another browser to be sure if it is an IE issue. The alternative browser would be UC browser.

Some websites won't work on windowsphone if they have been disabled by the website. For instance, I have noticed that some sections - not the entire site - of my bank won't open on my windowsphone.

Jay_answers, May 13, 2017
  3. kimiwazer Win User
    web page restriction?

You could try another browser to be sure if it is an IE issue. The alternative browser would be UC browser.

Some websites won't work on windowsphone if they have been disabled by the website. For instance, I have noticed that some sections - not the entire site - of my bank won't open on my windowsphone.

hmmm... i tried your suggestion but it seem didn't work, i think it maybe government restriction hahaha coz i try open political website... ok thanks...

kimiwazer, May 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you could try this (taken from pre creator's update post):
    This may fix 'Some settings are managed by your organisation..' on Windows update Settings dialogues:

1. Using the Group Policy Editor:

Launch the "Group Policy" editor
    Press [WinKey] + [R] and type gpedit.msc

In the window that appears, follow "Computer Configuration" then "Administrative Templates" finally right click "All Settings

Select "Filter Options"

"Change the drop down for "Configured" to "Yes". Untick the check boxes if any are ticked."

Press OK

I found that setting Managed, Configured, Commented - all of them- to 'Any' removed the message.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  5. DaveH1 Win User
    Thanks, I've tried that and no difference I'm afraid, the message is still there!
    *Sad
    As I said in my first post, I have Group Policy completely disabled anyway, by checking both boxes on the properties of "Local Computer Policy", so I don't think that anything in Group Policy is going to change anything.
    The message must be being generated as a result of something else other than a Group Policy setting.
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Are you saying that the registry keys which the group policy editor accesses are somehow disabled, or access to them by anything is blocked?

I don't know what you mean by having
    I'm afraid. Do you simply mean the group policy editor is rendered inaccessible?

- so did you despite the above use the group policy editor for that?

The intent of the message is to indicate registry data corresponding to group policies is different to what is expected. Thus it is very confusing for individual users. Such changes don't have to be made by the Group Policy editor- could be by 3rd party programs.

Thanks.

See:
    Remove in Windows Update : Windows10
    Some settings are managed by your organisation - Windows 10 Forums

In the 2nd is a solution to exactly your symptom.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  7. DaveH1 Win User
    If you right click on "Local Computer Policy" at the top of the left pane of the Group Policy editor, and select "Properties" there are two check boxes to disable Group Policy for the whole machine and for the current user. I have always had both of these checked as I have never had any need to apply any Group Policies. They are all set to "Not Configured" anyway, and always have been.
    I have tested, and if I re-enable Group Policies and apply a setting, it does work, so the system is functional, I just don't use it.
    It is certainly possible that a Group Policy is being applied in the registry, despite what the Group Policy editor says, even though I took steps to reset the whole of Group Policy in case that was the case, but I've never been able to identify any.
    Most of the registry keys that refer to "Policies" are empty, as I would expect them to be.
    I will check out your links, thanks!
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 13, 2017
  8. DaveH1 Win User

I checked out the links, which were very helpful thanks.

I backed up the registry and ran all the delete commands in post #14 in the second link.
    They all deleted OK except the one that had reported "Access Denied" for @simrick.

Unfortunately, again no difference, the message is still there!
    *Sad

I notice that in the other instances of it that have been reported, there does not seem to be an asterisk at the start of the message. Is this significant, and does anyone know what it means?
    Cheers, Dave.
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 14, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    I haven't seen this problem in a while. Have you installed any anti-telemetry programs?
    Can't update Windows - Page 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Please be sure you've got a current image of your entire OS (using Macrium or another imaging program).

Another options would be to perform an in-place repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

This will keep all your apps and data, so no damage done, (but best to be prepared with an image). *Wink

simrick, May 14, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Another option would be to try Tweaking.com and only select Reset File Permissions and Reset Registry Permissions.

Content Overview

But if you've used any anti-telemetry programs, you need to "undo" what they've done first.

simrick, May 14, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    @simrick- thanks, when I looked at this a while back, I have a note that an in-place upgrade will not reset so-called 'privacy' settings (Spybot Anti-beacon, OO Shutup etc).
    @DaveH1- Tweaking.com's cautious free repair tool which Simrick refers to is considered safe- follow its cautious steps, and only use relevant repairs if you try it.

As you say, the * in the message is unusual. I've just remembered I saw one report here:

References:
    um, what? : windowsphone

*Some settings are hidden or managed by your company - Windows 10 Forums
    (unresolved by some of our experts)

(That 1st like looks odd as shown, but it's a valid reddit link)

dalchina, May 14, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Hi Dalchina. It's been about a year since I've seen this problem, and my memory is not the best. It's quite possible an in-place repair won't do anything. Perhaps Tweaking.com is the way to go. But, if anti-telemetry software has indeed been used, that needs to be reversed first.

simrick, May 14, 2017
  13. simrick Win User

Yes, I can report that another member here tried all the repairs, all at once, (on a VM), and it totally borked the install. You have to be very careful what you use.

simrick, May 14, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    Several people have reported this including myself. It looks like there is a bug somewhere and message is erroneous. I did not have any actual restrictions in place as far as I could tell.

cereberus, May 14, 2017
  15. DaveH1 Win User
    Thanks everyone!
    This could of course just be a bug, as some of the links say, but I would have thought that more people would be seeing it if that were the case.
    I have nothing knowingly in place to restrict telemetry.
    The telemetry level option under "privacy" settings is set to full, I have tried setting it to basic but it made no difference.
    I do a full system image every week anyway (and ERUNT automatically backs up my registry on the first boot of every day), so I will do an image backup later today and try the tweaking.com repair tool.
    I don't want to get into system resets and in-place repairs, that's a really last resort IMO and this is only an annoyance, it doesn't seem to be causing any functional problems!
    Cheers, Dave.
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages - Similar Threads - Restriction Notice Update

2. Windows Notices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Notices: I noticed this morning upon my computer boot and before the desktop appeared I received a notice for enhancing the Microsoft Edge browser.These enhancements would come if I decided in a package form too which two of them, I did not want. There was one I was just not...
  3. Windows Notices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Notices: I noticed this morning upon my computer boot and before the desktop appeared I received a notice for enhancing the Microsoft Edge browser.These enhancements would come if I decided in a package form too which two of them, I did not want. There was one I was just not...
  4. Windows Update Assistant Not Noticing my Drive

Windows Update Assistant Not Noticing my Drive: So I decided to use the windows update assistant to update to the latest version of Windows 10. However I get an error. It says "This pc can run windows 10 but it doesn't have enough storage.". It doesn't seem to notice I have a hard drive with 1TB of storage plugged in....
  5. Disable cmd window update notice?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable cmd window update notice?: I am not sure which forum (if any) would be best to use for this question, but maybe someone will be able to advise or refer me elsewhere if I post in the most general one. It's not really a Windows 10 issue per se (I have the same problem in Windows 7 too). I use a...
  6. Notice of Update Real or Fake

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notice of Update Real or Fake: Keep getting a notice stating there is an update for Windows 10 and to pick of the three boxes, either remind me, or pick a date or (sorry can't remember third box. Is this a legitimate update or scam?? Thanks CD...
  7. Update is ready notice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Update is ready notice: Running Win 10 Pro Version 1803. Keep on getting a small widow with: Update is ready. "Update and benefit from enhancements and fixes." How do I know it is a legit update or something else. [ATTACH]...
  8. "Account Update" notice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Account Update" notice: I received an email from "account team" stating that my account would be closed on 25/08/2018 if I didn't "update your account" Is this a Microsoft notice?...
  9. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth: Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7...
  10. Software Update Notices

Software Update Notices: I received a software update notice for Acrobat Reader DC two or three days which I clicked on, downloaded and install. I still get the notice as of today. IIRC, I've had this before but never this long. 22165