Windows 10: Resume from sleep issue

Discus and support Resume from sleep issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I had some trouble today with my computer. I seem to have fixed it, but thought I would share my experience to see if I can help others... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lmaneke, Jan 21, 2016.

1. lmaneke Win User

Resume from sleep issue

Hi everyone.

I had some trouble today with my computer. I seem to have fixed it, but thought I would share my experience to see if I can help others who may be having similar issues.

System Specifications

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    AMD FX-6300
    4 GB 1333 mhz GSkill RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    ASUS DVD Writer
    320 GB HDD
    600w Modular Ultra X3 Power supply
    Thermaltake Versa H25 Gaming Case
    Windows 10 PRO 10240

For 2 weeks or so I was having an issue where my system would not wake from sleep properly. Fans would spin and HDD would power up, but no video, or if video came on, it would be at the lock screen, and screen would shut off. Had to do a hard reset to get the computer to boot.

I had noticed as the computer tried to resume from sleep mode, the CPU LED would not blink, indicating that the CPU has reinitialized. Strange since that never happen before. Although I do remember I removed my CPU to test in another FX Board to see if the other board was DOA. It was and I reinstalled it in my system.

I decided to recheck everything today. "CPU, Memory, SATA Cables, etc." I reseated the memory, saw no change. Took the heatsink off of the CPU, which came off easy, and behold, I see a tiny gap, where my CPU was not fully seated. No bent pins. I'm surprised my system was even booting or running. I reinserted the CPU, fully seated it and put it back together, checked the SATA Cables, and found that one of my SATA Cables was slanted on my backup hard drive. Pushed it back in, Booted my computer, put it in sleep mode and then tried to resume. Voil , the CPU LED blinked and the system resumed. Also checked the event viewer and it said the Service Control Manager failed to load after resuming from low power state. Not fully sure what that is though.

Interesting that this happened. This system has been solid for almost a year.

Cheers

:)

lmaneke, Jan 21, 2016
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Windows 10 Update 1709 Resume from Sleep issue

I'm guessing/assuming that as well as 1709 you got all of the most recent updates. That would include the Intel "CPU Bug fix", which it turns out creates a lot of additional random abends.

If you get no other suggestions, potentially your problem could be caused by the intel fix. MS has released a specific patch for that problem. If you don't already have it you can manually download it from MS and apply it

2018 01 29- KB 4078130- UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 – INTEL BUG

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/407813...

Check Update History to confirm you have KB4054892 installed. Rather than uninstalling KB4054892, which fixed other problems as well as creating the reboot problem (and others), MS has created this update to fix the problems/

Optional Reading

If you are interested, the “official” documentation for the above fix is in the links below.

2018 01 29- “HIGHER THAN EXPECTED REBOOTS AND OTHER UNPREDICTABLE SYSTEM BEHAVIOR” - UPDATE TO DISABLE MITIGATION AGAINST SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 – FIX PROBLEM CREATED BY WIN UPDATE KB4056892

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/407813...

In December very significant 3 bugs / defects in the “CPU” / computer chip made by Intel were announced. In January some more bugs were announced. MS and Intel have released some updates to partially patch these problems. But the patches were less than successful.
    One of the side effects is unexpected reboots of the computer (sound familiar).

So read the link above, and below, for more specific details about the problem and the update that may be able to partially fix the Intel inflicted problem.

2018 01 22- ROOT CAUSE OF REBOOT ISSUE IDENTIFIED BY INTEL – BAD UPDATE

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-r...

JANUARY 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS BUILD 16299.192) INCLUDES MITIGATION AGAINST INTEL SPECTRE, VARIANT 2 (WHICH IS CAUSING PROBLEMS)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/405689...

Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709

The documentation doesn’t actually mention the Intel bug fix … <sigh>

Rohn007, Jan 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Update 1709 Resume from Sleep issue

I just updated to 1709. Now when the PC comes out of sleep mode it powers down.

JerryPenland, Jan 21, 2016
  4. SebTech33 Win User

Resume from sleep issue

I would say this has something to do with the drivers or the bios. my friend is having the same issue and i had it before i updated the bios.

if there is something to do with the bios you could check the motherboard manufactures website to see if there is an new update for the bios. These things can also come with windows updates and if the windows version is changing something in the power management it can also effect the bios in one way so there must be an update for the bios for this to be fixed.

Here is the link to the Asus page for bios and drivers: M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | Motherboards | ASUS USA

if there is anything in the OS that have changed i would consider you to either check some power option or try to reinstall a fresh version of windows to see if that would help.

SebTech33, Jan 21, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Bios is the latest build.

I did some testing and it looks like my NVIDIA driver is failing to restart as well. I updated the drivers as well.

I installed a clean copy of Windows 10 and the issue isn't replicating. Wonder if it could also be a problem with a Windows Update.

Thanks for the input

lmaneke, Jan 21, 2016
  6. lmaneke Win User
    I just installed the latest Windows updates and the issue doesn't appear to be happening. After 4 hours of sleep testing, its coming on normally. I'll mark this as solved. If any other issues come up I'll repost. Thanks.

lmaneke, Jan 22, 2016
  7. SebTech33 Win User
    I'm glad that i could help in some way. glad the issue is gone now. if you nvidia drivers are failing you could aslo uninstall and to a clean install of the driver. it will remove any trace of the existing driver and install the new one. but if everything is working well now i'm happy for you *Smile

SebTech33, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Resume from sleep issue

1. Resume from sleep issue - Similar Threads - Resume sleep issue

2. Issue with the Taskbar when resume from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with the Taskbar when resume from sleep.: Hi,I am facing issue with my taskbar which goes weird after system wake from sleep. Even post all upgrades to Windows 11. Issue is still is persisting. It feels better not to put system to sleep because after awaking only option left is to reboot the windows and kill all open...
  3. Issue with the Taskbar when resume from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with the Taskbar when resume from sleep.: Hi,I am facing issue with my taskbar which goes weird after system wake from sleep. Even post all upgrades to Windows 11. Issue is still is persisting. It feels better not to put system to sleep because after awaking only option left is to reboot the windows and kill all open...
  4. Windows 10 no ipv6 on resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 no ipv6 on resume from sleep: I have had this problem for the longest time and it is still happening with Windows 10 ver 2004. On my Surface Pro 7 and Surface Go 2 both now on Windows 10-2004, they will fail to obtain ipv6 addresses on SLAAC networks on resume from sleep for more than 1 minute. If I...
  5. Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver: Hi. I hope you can help me with regards to this constant issue I have been having. My laptop sometimes doesn't shut down fully or when it enters sleep mode or screensaver mode screen turns off, then the fans ramp up to constant maximum and no matter what I do, the screen...
  6. Resume from Hibernate Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Resume from Hibernate Issue: Hello, I normally use Hibernate when machine is not needed for extended periods. Previously, machine would start at the same place where I left it, including all programs open etc. Now, with 1909 and maybe even a prior version, I noticed that all open programs are now...
  7. No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen: Windows 10 home with the anniversary update and all updates since on a Toshiba laptop. When I boot up from a complete shutdown, I get a wallpaper (1) on the screen and after I press enter the login screen appears with its wallpaper image. But, when I resume by lifting the...
  8. Delayed resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Delayed resume from sleep: I installed an SSD in my laptop. Occasionally, when I resume from sleep mode, the computer becomes unresponsive. It does this for about 30 seconds. I can't remember if it was doing this before I installed the new drive. Today it's been doing it almost every time I open the...
  9. Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep: Ok, I have a problem that (AFAIK) no one else on any of the forums (and forum sites) I have visited seem to having. As per the title, I am sure you can see that it is related to my laptop going to sleep. The Problem: My Dell XPS 15 (9550) seems to go to sleep properly...
  10. W10 slow to resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 slow to resume from sleep: I did a fresh install on a SSD not to long ago. The computer is running very smoothly for the most part. However, sometimes when I open the lid to my laptop, it is temporarily unresponsive for a minute or so when resuming from sleep mode. It's pretty annoying. I think it has...