Windows 10: Retail version or OEM version

Discus and support Retail version or OEM version in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tech291083, May 25, 2017.

1. Retail version or OEM version

Hi Friends,

I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM version or retail version? What if any hardware (motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc.) stops functioning after I install, activate/register and update Windows? Thanks.

:)

tech291083, May 25, 2017
  2. cat_nip Win User

OEM or Retail version

Thank you very much for your answer. It was this paragraph in that that made me suspicios:

"Even though your free upgrade to Windows 10 from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 is now identified as retail, in spirit, it is still an OEM license."

Does that mean I could have a OEM licence which cannot be transferred?

cat_nip, May 25, 2017
  3. SarahKong Win User
    SarahKong, May 25, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Retail version or OEM version

It's better to buy Retail version for you are sure that it could be reinstalled on any MB in the future and MS is not going to change to any new windows for many years. Deals on OEM are known to be shady at best.
    If you currently have a retail version of W7 or 8/8.1 you can still use it's activation code to upgrade to W10 on new machine. Not that only motherboard is important, no other makes any difference as far as activation is concerned.

CountMike, May 25, 2017
  5. Yes, you are right, retail version my call then.

I never knew that.

I thought the time frame for a free upgrade to W10 passed long ago.

OK. So I can change any hardware, for example the cpu from say I3 to i5, i7 right? or upgrade RAM from 4 GB to 8/16 GB.

Thanks a lot.

tech291083, May 25, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Right, no other components but MB are important for activation and even that doesn't matter with Retail version. There's even way to re-activate even OM version. I don't know if I should elaborate but there's still a way to upgrade from W7 and 8/8.1 using a loophole MS still tolerates.

CountMike, May 25, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    If I were you, I would buy the retail copy of Windows 10. Reason being is that Microsoft again changed terms of the OEM/Systems Builders license and they state that it's not intended for home hobbyists. So, down the road you could run into issues with hardware upgrades and moving it to another computer. The headaches later probably won't be worth the cost savings now.

pparks1, May 25, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

What is there to elaborate on? Upgrading from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 still works the same now as it ever did. There is no loophole. You can just run Windows 10 setup.exe from inside Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 and it will upgrade to Windows 10. You can use the gatherosstate.exe file to capture the genuineticket.xml file from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and use that to activate a clean install of Windows 10 with. Or if the Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key is not blocked from automatic online activation, you can just enter the product key to activate Windows 10 with. No mystery, no loophole, just the same as it always has been.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Isn't the requirement to be for disabled persons only a loophole ?

CountMike, May 25, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    That isn't a requirement.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2017
  11. Agreed. There's no need for a loophole. The free upgrade that was supposed to expire....didn't.

DeaconFrost, May 25, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Here are the key facts:-

OEM licences are cheaper than retail but (strictly according to EULA) not transferable to a new mobo.

Officially, you cannot buy oem licences as an end user. In reality, you can and MS rarely block such keys.

When you install from 1version 607 onwards, you get a digital licence tied to mobo id.
    The digital licence is transferable to a a new mobo using activation troubleshooter.
    This works if retail or oem (even though strictly against EULA).

Once you get a digital licence, it is forever even if original key gets blocked.

So, in reality, it does not matter too much if you buy oem or retail.

However, there is one possible additional consideration:

A digital licence can only be transferred a number of limited time (three in my testing), whereas a retail licence has unlimited licence transfers (may need telephone activation though).

So if you are going to transfer licence at least four times over your life to new mobo, then a retail licence could be better.

However, if oem licence is much cheaper, who cares?

Personally, I would buy a cheap oem licence accepting any risks that it might get blocked at some point.

cereberus, May 25, 2017
  13. pparks1 Win User

At NewEgg today, Win 10 Pro OEM is $140 and Win 10 Pro Retail is $189. Considering the cost of the rest of your rig, it doesn't seem like $49 would be that big of a deal. I wouldn't take a chance later that I couldn't mover it for less than $50 in savings.

pparks1, May 25, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    What's wrong with Home edition for normal home user ? It's cheaper and in most cases quite enough.

CountMike, May 25, 2017
  15. pparks1 Win User
    There is nothing wrong with Home edition. The only reason that I mentioned Pro was that it seems like a lot of hobbyists like using Pro so that they have access to Group Policy stuff.

pparks1, May 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Retail version or OEM version - Similar Threads - Retail version OEM

2. I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail...: I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail version Now I want to upgrade my laptop with m.2 nvme ssd and then reinstall windows 10 Activation section is saying Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft...
  3. OEM Versions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Versions: there are any thing illegal to Microsoft from using oem windows versions.... I will use it to my device but the very low price of the windows makes me hesitant to buy it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-versions/20529ad5-990f-46e5-ba83-afc277c9cf49
  4. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  5. OEM to Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM to Retail: I have OEM version of Windows 10 Home activated in my pc. Now I want to activate my Windows retail key with the same PC, Motherboard and everything [nothing's changed]. Is it possible?...
  6. Retail version question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail version question: Just bought a retail version of windows 10 pro from Newegg. Is there anyway to know what version or build that my flash drive has on it? submitted by /u/ztbcs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gaaeqd/retail_version_question/
  7. Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.

Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.: I built a new computer and bought a new retail version of Windows 10 and installed it on my internal SSD. My old hard drive has an OEM version of Windows with 2 users( me and my alter ego account). Can I just install that hard drive as a secondary drive to extract some files...
  8. Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??: I put this question to Microsoft this week by email: Good morning This complaint pertains to the upgrade options from a full retail version of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. According to the EULA: “4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you...
  9. Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version: There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation system that I already configured to my liking. Can I buy a retail version of Windows 10 and just use that new key to...
  10. update to retail version

update to retail version: I dont recall seeing this anywhere; but pardon me if it was posted and I just never noticed; but; will we be able to get a free upgrade to the full retail version of 10 once that becomes available? 17087