Windows 10: Retail version - transfer from a damaged pc

Discus and support Retail version - transfer from a damaged pc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Up front: this is just a hypothetical question. It came up in a discussion about Windows licenses. A Windows full retail version can be transferred... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tfwul, Jan 16, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Retail version - transfer from a damaged pc

Up front: this is just a hypothetical question. It came up in a discussion about Windows licenses.

A Windows full retail version can be transferred to another PC, which is not the case with an OEM version.
    Imagine the 'old' PC is damaged, fire, water, whatever, but I am still having the full retail version media and key.

Reason for asking here is that I believe(!) that the key on the old PC should first be deactivated, before Windows can be reinstalled(?)
    If that is indeed the case, how to proceed in case of a damaged PC?
    Or are the hardware details of the old PC (on the activation server) simply be overwritten once Windows is activated on a new PC?

-

:)

tfwul, Jan 16, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How can I use Windows from my old laptop on my new laptop?

It is more than likely the Windows 8 that was originally on your Toshiba was an OEM version and is therefore non transferable to another PC/Laptop. Only retail versions of Windows can be transferred from device to device.

If you did buy a retail version of Windows with your Toshiba, that licence will be transferable and up-gradable to Windows 10

DaveM121, Jan 16, 2018
  3. xfer of windows 10

The ability to transfer your Windows 10 license will depend on how Windows 10 was configured on your computer.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Retail - can transfer it

OEM - cannot transfer it

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 16, 2018
  4. matfx Win User

Just install your Windows OS retail version to another pc. It wouldn't affect the Windows activation.

matfx, Jan 16, 2018
  5. tfwul Win User
    Thanks a lot!
    I assumed there would some issues due to different hardware.

tfwul, Jan 16, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    This would be more likely to go smoothly if the Digital Licence was linked to a Microsoft Account. It is a requirement of the EULA that you can only use a licence to activate the number of systems it is valid for, there used to be a system to contact Microsoft to deactivate a used Key for Technet Multi-use keys, but am not aware of the current system, if any.

I would expect that when you use the key to activate the "new" device you would be routed to a Microsoft Technician to explain the situation that the old system had failed and the key was being used to activate a new system under the terms of the Eula, and the Technician would then perform the transfer

Barman58, Jan 16, 2018
  7. Hi, try the suggestion from this link. It should enable you to "deactivate" the license from one pc and transfer to another for activation.

Edit: Updated link to another more comprehensive tutorial.

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  8. tfwul Win User

Yes... I remember something like that now. An activation failed (maybe too many tries to install, I don't know) and I had to contact a specific phonenumber and enter a lllong number, I believe some 9 groups of 6 digits. I found something similar on Groovypost "Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support"
    Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

I guess this will only work for retail versions.

Anyway, it was just a question out of curiosity.

Thanks!

tfwul, Jan 16, 2018
  9. sn00ker Win User
    In some cases it also works with oem too

sn00ker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Retail version - transfer from a damaged pc - Similar Threads - Retail version transfer

2. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  3. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  4. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to activate Windows 10 transfer to new PC Retail version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate Windows 10 transfer to new PC Retail version: My question is identical to the one in the thread below. Same screenshots and error code. 0x803FABB8https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x803fabb8/4d860084-1db6-454c-a66e-ff42944a32f4Old PC had Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 7 RetailMicrosoft...
  6. Transfer of a retailed Windows 10 to a new PC

Transfer of a retailed Windows 10 to a new PC: Hello, I need to transfer my Windows 10 License to a new laptop I bought. The previous one was only used for 3 months since October and is not able to be repaired it's currently at the official repair store and they are asking to pay almost as for a new laptop.... So now I...
  7. Transfer an OLD windows license Retail version to a newly purchased PC

Transfer an OLD windows license Retail version to a newly purchased PC: Hi I recently assembled a new PC and installed windows10 Pro. Presently the window is not activated. I have an OLD laptop purchased 6 years back with a windows 8.1 Now recently upgraded to windows10 single language. Surprisingly when I run the code slmgr /dli in old...
  8. Transferring of Windows Retail Key from OLD PC to New PC

Transferring of Windows Retail Key from OLD PC to New PC: Hi there, I am having windows retail key installed in Old Laptop. Now I want to transfer windows key to newly procured desktop. Could you please help me to transfer the key to new PC to activate it. Regards Sameer M...
  9. Transferring Win10 retail to new PC

Transferring Win10 retail to new PC: I plan on buying a retail copy of Win10 before the new year but I also plan to build a new PC before the end of 2020. The copy I'm looking at says retail 1PC and I'm pretty sure it just means one at a time. Just want to be sure that when I build my new PC I can still...
  10. windows 10 free upgradation from windows 8.1 retail version transfer

windows 10 free upgradation from windows 8.1 retail version transfer: I bought my Hp pavilion laptop in 2014 with Dos system and install windows 8.1 single language home version with key, presently I bought a desktop and want to install that setup in my new system. Can it be done and if so what is the procedure? Please, guide me as early as...