Windows 10: Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied

Discus and support Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I'm new to the Windows forum, as well as new to Windows 10. We were using a Windows 7 desktop that went belly up. Everything was backed up on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CeeElGee78, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied

Hello. I'm new to the Windows forum, as well as new to Windows 10. We were using a Windows 7 desktop that went belly up. Everything was backed up on a WD My Book using their SmartWare program. We decided that it was time to upgrade equipment and OS to Win10, so after initial setup of the new computer, I retrieved all of our old files from the external hard drive to a folder on the new computer. Everything seems to be there, including my Outlook files, which I was able to migrate into the new Outlook after going into Properties=>Security=>Edit=>Add=>Everyone. But no matter what I try I can't seem to get any other files to open. I get all sorts of messages about permissions and proxies and accesses, but nothing will open. I'm just not experienced enough with Windows 10 specifically or Windows in general to figure it out. What am I missing? Thanks.

:)

CeeElGee78, Aug 30, 2018
  2. vamainiac Win User

external drive access denied

Hi there --

Thank you very much for the response and guidance. Unfortunately, it did not work.. I was able to follow the directions, even enabled updates, and also restarted the machine, but i still get the same access denied response when trying to open the external
    HD.

Thank you again -

vamainiac, Aug 30, 2018
  3. DJ4meOK Win User
    Retrieving files from external drive

I was able to open the files on the old computer by going to C:\Windows.old as you suggested and found all my documents. I went through the same steps on the Windows 10 computer, re-restored from the backup external drive but no success. When I try to
    open the folder it says access to compressed folder is denied. Finally as last resort, I was able to burn all the files from the old onto a cd and this opens on the new computer and am able to open and print the documents. Is there a way I can copy this cd to
    the new computer so I don't have to insert the cd each time I have to open one of the older documents? Thanks, DJ

DJ4meOK, Aug 30, 2018
  4. vamainiac Win User

Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied

external drive access denied

Hello Folks -

I have a toshiba laptop which was installed with windows 8 and has since been upgraded to windows 10. I have a western digital external 2T HD that was running fine; however, the past two days I cannot access the external now that I have updated the OS.
    The file explorer view displays the HD on the network but will not let me access.

I've tried all of the responses thus far with no luck. When I right-click on the HD looking to change the security, there is no security tab available for me to choose. When I do that in the quick access view, I get denied access. I've tried modifying
    the registry also with no luck. even the WD software "sees" the external, but i cannot expand or access the content.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Paul

vamainiac, Aug 30, 2018
Thema:

Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied

1. Retrieved files from external HD can't be opened - access denied - Similar Threads - Retrieved files external

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. External drive - Access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive - Access denied: Trying to use my drive like I normally do but when I connect it, it goes in and out like noises of it connecting and disconnecting noises. When I go to disk management and make sure it's initialized it says access denied, tried unplugging and replugging and the drive will...
  5. Locked Files on HD that have full access... How to retrieve

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Locked Files on HD that have full access... How to retrieve: I have a seagate hard drive with thousands of graphic files on it. Randomly, a few hundred have a lock icon on the files. If I try to open I get "error code 0x80071771" When I looked this up, they tell me to modify permissions. I checked all the permissions, and they are...
  6. Access denied to external drive

Access denied to external drive: I have a high capacity NTFS formatted external drive that gives me Access denied error. I previously had it permanently plugged into one of these, although infrequently used, and recently encountered this problem. I have attempted all remedies I could find, on this and...
  7. West Digital Passport external HD can't access files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    West Digital Passport external HD can't access files: HI all, I have a 1TB external HD that I can't seem to access any files on. I have about 450gb of data/pics/junk on this HD and I'd like to access it. I thought it might have been a a permission problem, but I've made read/write available to the HD. I have run chkdsk and fix...
  8. Can't Access any external drive - Access Denied

Can't Access any external drive - Access Denied: I have just purchased a new computer W10 Pro and I can't access any external disk or via network. I have a laptop W10 Home and it has no problem reading these disks. The same disks can be accessed on the W7 computer. The message is YOU DONT HAVE PERMISSTION TO ACCESS THIS...
  9. Access Denied on External Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access Denied on External Drive: I was hoping that this take ownership feature would give me access to files I have on an external drive formatted with NTFS. I am still receiving the following error when I try to copy a file from the external drive to anywhere on my local drive or if I try to play an mp3...
  10. Problem accessing files on external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem accessing files on external HD: Hi, I recently bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I am having some issues with an external USB hard drive that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on. Here's the problem: when trying to access certain files on the drive (no rhyme or reason apparent - it just...