Windows 10: Retrieving original activation key for windows

Discus and support Retrieving original activation key for windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I bought a demo-pc in 2014 that came with win8, but i was unable to log in as i did not have the password, so i flashed windows 10 insider... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Baguett, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Baguett Win User

Retrieving original activation key for windows

Hello!

I bought a demo-pc in 2014 that came with win8, but i was unable to log in as i did not have the password, so i flashed windows 10 insider build. But i am tired of all the bugs, so i want to get the regular windows 10 build now.

Does anyone know how i can do this? I do not know the serial key, but shouldn't it be embedded in the BIOS? The PC is an HP Envy touchsmart 14.

Can i just format, flash an win8 img, and then the PC will automatically retrieve the activation key by itself?

:)

Baguett, Apr 18, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

Reverting to original license in windows 10

Windows 7 key is not embedded as win 8 is. He will need the original win 7 pro key since Enterprise is not actually activated. It cannot be activated without a volume license. Only windows 10 Pro was eligible to install on a win 7 pro computer. Enterprise
    is not part of the free upgrade offer. The tech was wrong to have installed Enterprise.

The original Win 10 upgrade was never completely installed so there is no activated license to retrieve. If there is a sticker with the activation key on the computer, that can be used to activate Win 10 Pro.

mlg63, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 pro restore to windows 10 home

Dear sir/madam,

I followed the steps that you kindly suggested. I found the "installed windows key" and the "original windows key". Then I pressed the "Change product key number" using the code of the "original windows key" in order to retrieve windows 10 home. Unfortunately
    the system informed me that it is not a valid product key, code "0XC004F050".

Also, at the page of windows activation at my laptop, informs that the windows have been activated by digital licence connected to our Microsoft account.

As I mentioned earlier, we want to delete any connection of the laptop with our company Microsoft account.

ELENISPILIANAKI, Apr 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2016
  5. Baguett Win User
    Baguett, Apr 18, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The latest RTM build of Windows 10 (build 10586 AKA the November update) should read the Windows 8 product key in bios and use that for activation, IF you install the same edition (IE: Home, Pro, N, Single Language - whatever matches the product key). If you start a clean install and the Windows 10 version you are installing matches the product key in bios it will not ask you for a product key or what version you want to install. So, if you get asked for a product key, you know you have the wrong version/edition of Windows 10 downloaded.

You can get Windows 8.1 from here, if you want to go back to 8.1:
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2016
  7. Baguett Win User
    Thanks again. Only got two options when downloading, so i chose the non-N version of win 8.1. I guess it means i download the core version, wich is what i have a key for.

Baguett, Apr 18, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

As long as it doesn't say Core Connected. That would be Windows with Bing, which you can't download from Microsoft. But Core Connected will upgrade to standard Windows 10 Home.

Also, if you mount the ISO file you downloaded in Windows 10 or Windows 8 - let's say you get a virtual drive letter of E:. In an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt you can enter:

DISM /get-wiminfo /wimfile:E:\Sources\install.wim /index:1

and
    DISM /get-wiminfo /wimfile:E:\Sources\install.wim /index:2

that will tell you the versions of Windows contained in the image that can be installed with it. E:\, obviously changes to whatever drive letter you got when you mounted the ISO file. Windows 8 and 10 typically only have two versions in each install file, but you can try index:3 and above and see if there are more included. Windows 7 will have like 6 different versions.

The above commands will also work after you have burned a USB flash drive or DVD from the ISO file or directly with the Media Creation Tool. Although - download an ISO file with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and the install.wim file will be install.esd, just change the file name in the above commands to match it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2016
  9. Just FYI, what is listed as "Windows 10" on the Media Creation Tool is multi edition. It can install Home or Pro. If an embedded key is detected it will auto match the edition and you won't be asked to select Home or Pro, or be asked for a product key. If no key is detected, or the key is for a version not supported by that ISO, you'll be prompted to select Home or Pro, and enter a key. For the current latest build anyway. Older builds would not use Windows 8/8.1 keys.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Retrieving original activation key for windows - Similar Threads - Retrieving original activation

2. Retrieve original Windows product key from MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve original Windows product key from MSI laptop: I bought an activation key for Windows 10 Pro from an eBay auction. It looked legitimate, but wouldn't activate. Now my Windows is no longer activated. I know. I'll never try this again.How can I retrieve my original Windows product key?...
  3. Retrieve original Windows product key from MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve original Windows product key from MSI laptop: I bought an activation key for Windows 10 Pro from an eBay auction. It looked legitimate, but wouldn't activate. Now my Windows is no longer activated. I know. I'll never try this again.How can I retrieve my original Windows product key?...
  4. Windows Key Retrieval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Key Retrieval: Hi friends,Recently I had to reinstall windows due to lost password, but the service person seems to have installed windows with a different windows key.I could not activate windows because of this.I'm trying to retrieve my original product key.Pls help....
  5. Retrieve Activated Windows 10 Pro key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retrieve Activated Windows 10 Pro key?: In Windows 10 Pro, Activation shows the following:Activation Edition Windows 10 Pro Activation Windows is activated with digital license The laptop originally came with Windows 10 Home. I retrieved the UEFI/BIOS product key using this command:wmic path...
  6. Retrieving Original Product Key

Retrieving Original Product Key: I am Using HP TS 14 Notebook PC. It was Pre installed with Windows 8 Home Edition. It was upgraded it to Windows 10 Home. My laptop suffered Hard Disk Failure so a new Hard Disk was inserted without Activation of Windows. I cannot Retrieve my Original Product Key. Please help...
  7. How to activate windows 10 with original key?

How to activate windows 10 with original key?: Hi Microsoft Community Team, I am a new user of Windows 10, I want to know how to activate windows 10 with the original key with the real method. I am already a user of windows 7. Kindly, Microsoft Team replies to me fast. Thanks!...
  8. Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?

Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?: I have several Dell Inspirion 660 win10 computers, but only one with the win10 Pro-edition . When I tried to start that one up today after a few months of inactivity, mouse and keyboard would not load, regardless what I tried. I have had quite a few older hard drives fail...
  9. Windows Activation Key Retrieval after Formatting disk

Windows Activation Key Retrieval after Formatting disk: Hie. I have formatted the hard drive of my Dell Laptop and now I am required re enter the Windows 10 Product key. I am not aware of how to retrieve the key after formatting the drive. Is there a way I can get my original windows 10 Key again and activate my windows back?...
  10. Retrieve activation key

Retrieve activation key: I have a dell inspiron which I bought in 2014 with Windows 8 already installed. Since then, I never had any problems with my laptop until the last few weeks. Long story short: I need to reinstall my Windows 10 from scratch, but I can't find the activation key. I'm from Brazil...