Windows 10: Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue

Discus and support Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Over the last two days I've reverted two of my 4 PCs back to Win7 and experienced the same problem with iTunes. After reverting (both are Win Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoFine409, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue

Over the last two days I've reverted two of my 4 PCs back to Win7 and experienced the same problem with iTunes. After reverting (both are Win Pro 64-bit) I was unable to either repair, update, or remove iTunes. Windows could not locate the iTunes6464.msi, usually in an Apple Software Update folder. Is suspect that the Win10 upgrade process moved the msi file to a temp folder and then writes the path to the registry. The reversion process appears does not update the registry and does restore the msi file to its original location leaving you to deal with "where the heck is the iTunes6464.msi" issue. If you are lucky to have made a back up before the upgrade you restore it and point the installer to the new location. Note that is that the msi version must match your installed iTunes. So word to the wise, if you revert back to Win7, uninstall iTunes and it's associated support programs (see Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later) before you downgrade and then install a fresh copy in Win 7. FYI, missing Apple msi files are a know issue that Apple has never fully addressed.

:)

SoFine409, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 14, 2015
  3. windows 10 loading software

I have had issues with loading the new version of ITunes, being told that some software is missing, itunes6464.msi I still have not resolved the issue; but also when trying to load AV software it would not load as another msi based issue. Does 10 have a
    internal programme such as Windows installer or windows cleanup? or does some conflict exist with this msi

I have tired various ways of resolving the issue but now find I cannot remove iTunes or the old av software - is there something I am missing?

any help appreciated

MarkWhiteleyXJ., Aug 14, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

For the case that I would need to revert the upgrade, I have made a backup before. That way I would not have to deal with whatever strange issue might be happening after a downgrade.

Joergi, Aug 15, 2015
  5. This is my problem too - I reverted to Windows 7 after having trouble with my track pad and keyboard in Win 10 - but now I can't update itunes (I hadn't backed up!). The installer says that the itunes6464.msi file is not in a folder it can be installed from. Can I copy and paste the .msi file (I've located a file with that name) to a different folder? I'm ignorant about working with the registry but I could have a go if someone could give me clear instructions! Any help will be much appreciated!

FergusPearson, Aug 20, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    Yes, maybe it works, if you just copy over the msi file from another PC. Note that you have to put it into the correct folder; I guess it might be located somewhere in the user folder with your username. Should the usernames on the two PCs be different, just put it into the folder you have.

If the above does not work, I would try downloading the setup.exe file of iTunes again and install it over what I currently have.

Joergi, Aug 21, 2015
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    The dialogue box that you are getting with the error is probably looking for the TEMP folder that the Win10 upgrade created. You should allow you to point the windows installer\uninstaller to "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 12.2.2.25" Your version number might Be different but first place the iTunes6464.msi file in that location. It should work as long as you have the correct version that match your iTunes installation. You can check the version of the msi by clicking on properties and then on details. Let me know it you have any questions.

SoFine409, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

So this is where the installer has to be saved. Interesting that the Windows upgrade removes the msi file from there; I guess it should not do that...

Joergi, Aug 21, 2015
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Not putting the msi back in the right location is not a very friendly thing to do and frankly I'm surprised that more people are not having this problem. I guess we'll see much more of this issue once people begin to update iTunes. I sure hope they either make backups or uninstall iTunes before they either upgrade or clean install.

SoFine409, Aug 21, 2015
  10. Joergi Win User
    I came here to inform you about a similar issue, which is happening with the program Classic Shell. More information on that issue is available over here:
    Classic Shell View topic - Can't update or uninnstall (lost ClassicShellSetup64_*.msi)

There is a Fixit utility from Microsoft to fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled. It can be downloaded from here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall

This utility might fix the problem - however, it currently says that Windows 10 would not yet be supported by it. So use at own risk!

Joergi, Aug 22, 2015
  11. Thanks for your help. I've been busy on other things and haven't been able to look at this again until now. The msi file in the iTunes 12.2.1.16 folder is the 12.2.1.16 version. 12.2.1.16 is the version currently working. Apple wants to upgrade to 12.2.2 - so this is the msi file that can't install? But the message pop up says the problem is that the old version of itunes can't be uninstalled. I'm afraid I'm lost here. Could apple supply a way for the old version to be properly uninstalled, then I just download a new version?

FergusPearson, Aug 25, 2015
  12. Joergi Win User
    I would see, if I find iTunes 12.2.1.16 still offered for download and then try to "install" hat version over the one you have - basically as if you were doing a repair. Maybe that is the easiest way to fix this problem...

Joergi, Aug 25, 2015
  13. SoFine409 Win User

Hi Fergus Pearson.
    What Apple wants to upgrade to (12.2.2) should not be Important. The only important thing is that the version of the msi you have in the referenced install folder is the same as your current iTunes version (12.2.1.16) and that the uninstaller can find it. It sounds like the only thing you need to do it to tell the uninstaller where to find the msi. Hopefully you can do this and the uninstaller can remove the old version and install the new one.
    If that doesn't work then I have seen posts on the net about needing to edit the registry to point the uninstaller to the correct location.
    If you have never used regedit (windows registry) it needs to be used with great caution and only after making a backup of your registry in case you make a mistake. Let me know what happens when you tell the uninstaller where to fine the 12.2.1.16 msi

SoFine409, Aug 25, 2015
  14. Thanks Joergi for the idea - I've just tried but Apple doesn't seem to allow download of previous versions. So I've sent Apple Support an email. There must be many people who have done what I've done (without backing up first!) and so have the same problem

FergusPearson, Aug 26, 2015
  15. See I'm having the same issue, except the MSI file is in the C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 12.2.1.16 location. And EVERY time I try to update or uninstall, it's giving me the error even though I have the file. I've posted screenshots. Does anyone know a workaround?

Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue [​IMG]

Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue [​IMG]

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue - Similar Threads - Revert Win7 iTunes

2. iTunes: Running 12.5.3.17 on Win7; Must move to Win10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    iTunes: Running 12.5.3.17 on Win7; Must move to Win10.: I'm running iTunes 12.5.3.17 on Win7. I need to move it to new computer running Win10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/itunes-running-125317-on-win7-must-move-to-win10/49492577-bd1e-4ecb-9292-fc28a0b51683
  3. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    iTunes issues: I have uninstalled iTunes several times and re-installed, but when I try to open it, I keep getting a box thast says the previous version of iTunes needs to be uninstalled. It tries to uninstall it but never completes....
  4. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    iTunes issues: I have uninstalled iTunes several times and re-installed, but when I try to open it, I keep getting a box thast says the previous version of iTunes needs to be uninstalled. It tries to uninstall it but never completes....
  5. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. msi issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    msi issues: i am trying to install epic games launcher however after downloading the file for the installer and clicking on it i am asked to choose how i want to open the msi.file and nothing on my computer is opening it. i looked it up and from what i understand windows installer is...
  7. Win10 reverted back to Win7

Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  8. iTunes issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    iTunes issue: iTune stays only on the Taskbar. When I click on the icon, it opens the song list in a minimum view so it is even impossible for me to select the track. Everything worked fine a few days ago. I cannot figure out what caused this issue. Thank you in advance...
  9. revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7

revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7: This is essentially a FYI post. I recently decided to upgrade from my Win7 pro to Win10 pro because I got an announcement that one of my programs (TurboTax) would not install or run on Win7 next year. I did this using some links / tutorials in this forum. They were pretty...
  10. Reverted From Win10 to Win7, Can't Login

Reverted From Win10 to Win7, Can't Login: I have an Alienware 14 laptop and accidentally reset it using Alienware Respawn. My laptop has been using Windows 10 since the free release, prior to that, Windows 7. Upon reset, it booted up to Windows 7, but I cannot login due to the 'remote procedure call' failing or the...