Windows 10: Revert to Windows 7

Discus and support Revert to Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago, fine except 2 progs I use won't work in WIndows 10, plus one is no longer supported. Since I still have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robmar0se, Dec 2, 2015.

1. robmar0se Win User

Revert to Windows 7

Upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago, fine except 2 progs I use won't work in WIndows 10, plus one is no longer supported.

Since I still have the Windows.old folder, and within the 4 week option I should be able to restore Windows 7. However within Settings/Recovery where I should be given the go back option I am not given the option to go back to win 7.

My only option now is to rebuild win 7 from scratch which is a pain.

I would just like to understand why in this instance why, as I am within the 4 week option and windows.old folder is still there, why I don't have the go back option?

As an aside I am hearing lots about incompatible software in win 10 which MS don't want you to know about. So everyone should take a system image before upgrading, lesson learnt.

:)

robmar0se, Dec 2, 2015

2. reverting to windows 7

Hi,

You can only downgrade to Windows 7 if you have a Windows 7 license, that would remove everything including your applications and files.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 2, 2015
  3. reverting to windows 7

I would like to uninstall windows 10 and install windows 7. what and how do I do that?

susannlogan, Dec 2, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Revert to Windows 7

What method did you use to upgrade and what build version are you on? Type winver in the search bar to find out.

philc43, Dec 2, 2015
  5. robmar0se Win User
    Thank you

You raise a good point which I hadn't thought of - however on checking the update history the PC is on the original version installed, the latest version (10586.3) has not been installed - so we are on 10240.

I can't remember the exact process, but it was the win10 download and upgrade, we opted for the option to retain personal files, apps etc.

I am not aware of anything that should have pre-empted the option to go back.

robmar0se, Dec 2, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    Ok, sounds like you used the media creation tool and did not go through the windows update process.

There is another way to try and go back and this involves a restart into advanced options. Hold down the shift key when clicking on restart and this should get you to the troubleshooting menu where you can select Advanced options and see if the Go back to previous build is there.

Revert to Windows 7 [​IMG]

philc43, Dec 2, 2015
  7. robmar0se Win User
    No didn't use the media creation tool, straight download and install.

Also tried what you suggested, and am not given the go back option, thats why I raised the issue as that is exactly what I expected to see,. I'd just like to understand why one wouldn't be given this option, if you are on the same version, within the 4 weeks, and ran the upgrade direct from the download?

Puzzles the hell out of me..............................

robmar0se, Dec 2, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

Revert to Windows 7

I'm also at a loss to explain this. I hope someone else can step in with an explanation and fix.

philc43, Dec 2, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    This may not help, but how large is your windows .old folder?

Depending on how much stuff you had installed before doing the upgrade, it ought to be more than 10GB.

I speculate that something has happened to windows.old that is preventing you from going back.

bobkn, Dec 2, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    either way ,a go back from windows 10 will result in the loss of the win7 programs ,it did for me once anyway ,when going back to win8.1 from 10prieview

caperjack, Dec 2, 2015
  11. Whatphoeb Win User
    The restore does not often work smoothly, I would suggest backing up all data to a separate disk and do a clean install. Then you can reinstall all the programs and restore data by copying it to the new installation.

Whatphoeb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Revert to Windows 7

1. Revert to Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Revert

2. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  3. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  4. What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  5. What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...

What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  6. What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  7. What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...

What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  8. Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue: I have a laptop with built-in Windows. Initially, I applied a different Windows Pro key, but it's now expiring. How can I revert to using the original Windows key that came with the laptop?...
  9. Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue

Reverting to Original Windows Key on Laptop: Expired Windows Pro Key Issue: I have a laptop with built-in Windows. Initially, I applied a different Windows Pro key, but it's now expiring. How can I revert to using the original Windows key that came with the laptop?...
  10. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder: Hi I was messing with the advanced security setting for WindowApps folder in my company laptop and wish to revert the owner back to "Unable to display current owner" which is the default setting see screenshot 1. Currently it is "SYSTEM" see screenshot 2. Thank you.For some...