Windows 10: Reverting back to 8.1...

Discus and support Reverting back to 8.1... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I "upgraded" to Win 10 using Windows Update. However, given the problems I'm experiencing - Skype won't even connect - I think I'm going to revert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LotsofErrors, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Reverting back to 8.1...

I "upgraded" to Win 10 using Windows Update.

However, given the problems I'm experiencing - Skype won't even connect - I think I'm going to revert to 8.1.

My question is...what happens then? Can I use WU to update to 10 again? And if that failed to work out again, can I revert again?

:)

LotsofErrors, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Revert back to 8.1

The only alternative then is to do a clean Install or recover Windows 8.1 from an Image if one exists.

I can provide you steps for that if you wish.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reverting back to 8.1...

Hello LotsofErros,

When you go back to Windows 8.1...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

.... you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the PC anytime you like afterwards since you had upgraded to Windows 10 on your activated 8.1 PC to register the free Windows 10 activation on the PC.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Well, officially panicking. The Settings panel keeps freezing for me. I can't revert.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Hi Shawn, managed to access the Option 1 menu,

However, on the "go back to previous build" screen, it's stayed there, with "Restarting", for over 10 min now. Is this normal? I haven't received the "restoring" screen at all

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reverting back to 8.1...

As long as you have hard drive activity, it's best to let it sit to see if it may continue and finish.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Over an hour in now...no Restoring screen yet

10. Still on this same screen??

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It looks like you may need to clean install instead then. *Sad

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Update:

After the screen sat there on "Restarting" for more than 12 hours, I had no choice but to turn my laptop off.

After turning my laptop on again, the "Restoring" screen appeared. In a few minutes, Windows 8.1 was back, everything in order.

Chrome did not work, I got some strange administrator error, but I re-installed it and everything is hunky-dory.

Skype works (did not work on Win 10), there is no freezing, and I am back to normal as it were.

Windows 10 still appears in my Windows Update. I think I'm going to stick with 8.1 for quite some time now. It seems to be working out. I wish 10 worked out too.

LotsofErrors, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reverting back to 8.1...

1. Reverting back to 8.1... - Similar Threads - Reverting

2. on October 28, 2022 Michael Andreas posted the following problem "PC name reverts back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    on October 28, 2022 Michael Andreas posted the following problem "PC name reverts back...: The referenced post does not state whether the problem was ever solved. Other posts that reference the same problem are found in on-line searches; however, no indication that issue was solved. In addition, a majority of responses ignore the statement of the problem and simply...
  3. on October 28, 2022 Michael Andreas posted the following problem "PC name reverts back...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    on October 28, 2022 Michael Andreas posted the following problem "PC name reverts back...: The referenced post does not state whether the problem was ever solved. Other posts that reference the same problem are found in on-line searches; however, no indication that issue was solved. In addition, a majority of responses ignore the statement of the problem and simply...
  4. on October 28, 2022 Michael Andreas posted the following problem "PC name reverts back...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?: As title says, today I was starting Windows and was in hurry and by mistake I chose that I do not want sync Microsoft account and Windows, how do I revert this change? I want those two sync'ed....
  6. I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?

I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?: As title says, today I was starting Windows and was in hurry and by mistake I chose that I do not want sync Microsoft account and Windows, how do I revert this change? I want those two sync'ed....
  7. Settings revert after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  8. Settings revert after Windows update

Settings revert after Windows update: Everytime Windows 11 updates, settings and functions no longer work the way I had them set up. For example, there is some issue with linking to help in excel. I keep getting an error message "Something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again". I fixed...
  9. Graphic card reverting to OpenGL 1.1 on Windows 11 NVIDIA GTX1070

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphic card reverting to OpenGL 1.1 on Windows 11 NVIDIA GTX1070: I updated to windows 11 and my graphic card somehow downgraded its OpenGL supported version to version 1.1I have an NVIDIA GTX 1070 that should support OpenGL 4.2. But somehow is stuck on 1.1 I installed the latest driver updates for my graphic card. Still only supports...
  10. Graphic card reverting to OpenGL 1.1 on Windows 11 NVIDIA GTX1070

Graphic card reverting to OpenGL 1.1 on Windows 11 NVIDIA GTX1070: I updated to windows 11 and my graphic card somehow downgraded its OpenGL supported version to version 1.1I have an NVIDIA GTX 1070 that should support OpenGL 4.2. But somehow is stuck on 1.1 I installed the latest driver updates for my graphic card. Still only supports...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. revert phone to 8.1