Windows 10: Reverting back to W7 to get Free update !!!! Not so easy

Discus and support Reverting back to W7 to get Free update !!!! Not so easy in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I decided to get another free update (legal) by using a TechNet W7 Ultimate system that I'd never used or installed --still had ISO and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Reverting back to W7 to get Free update !!!! Not so easy

Hi there

I decided to get another free update (legal) by using a TechNet W7 Ultimate system that I'd never used or installed --still had ISO and key..

It wasn't so easy !!! If you have a reasonably up to date machine going back to install some OLD W7 drivers was actually a REAL pain -- I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work so I had to hunt around the house for some LAN cable and get "She who must be obeyed" !! quite angry with loads of cable all over the place between cable router box and my workbench in the loft.

Finally got it all up and running -- Windows 10 upgrade went smoothly and all LAN cable removed (She's happy now !!!).

I had to get the W7 system activated otherwise the whole thing would have been a waste of time.

It was quite funny also working in VGA on a HUGE monitor !!!!

After activation it needed 202 updates !!! even from a base sp1 system - nearly 1GB but I've got fast uncapped Internet.
    After the updates I got the W10 update prompt and it all worked.

Going back to W8.1 for a freebie is OK but on a modern machine going back to W7 isn't so easy !!!!. Some newer hardware just won't work on W7 !! --different problem from going to W10 FROM an older OS. !!!

If you want a Free W10 licence though it's worth doing -- Glad I collected those TechNet keys before the program expired.

I suppose getting "She" a bit annoyed was the 199 USD I'd saved by going through this exercise. !!!!

So although it worked use W8 / W8.1 licences if you have new hardware unless you really want another licence and you HAVE to use W7.

I need the desktop for REAL work so I don't need the insider program on that machine nor the laptop I upgraded yesterday. That went smoothly (from W8.1).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  2. JohnBowes Win User

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Free Upgrade

I have already upgraded my W7 PC to W10 as part of the Insiders program. The Insiders program does not qualify for the free upgrade! Do I need to revert back to W7 in order to get the free upgrade, or will my W7 license key be sufficient to make things
    work?

JohnBowes, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10

After installing W10 then reverting back to W7 can you use the Microsoft Update tool to reinstall W10 after the free upgrade has expired? Also do I need to do the W10 download for both Home and Pro as I have Ultimate on one of my laptops and have reverted
    both back to W7?

Ray McCabe, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Reverting back to W7 to get Free update !!!! Not so easy

1. Reverting back to W7 to get Free update !!!! Not so easy - Similar Threads - Reverting Free update

2. EaseUS so far easy cloning software free for home use

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    EaseUS so far easy cloning software free for home use: Tried Macrium it was a dud, destination drive too small, I know this is recommended on this forum. EaseUS just worked, I am on the ssd drive now. Although it still takes a while to copy. Also Acronis kept hanging after getting to destination disk. So far I only found one...
  3. EaseUS so far easy cloning software free for home use

in Windows 10 Support
    EaseUS so far easy cloning software free for home use: Tried Macrium it was a dud, destination drive too small, I know this is recommended on this forum. EaseUS just worked, I am on the ssd drive now. Although it still takes a while to copy. Also Acronis kept hanging after getting to destination disk. So far I only found one...
  4. Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?: I was just upgrading my Dell Vostro 460 desktop from W7 Pro to W10 Home and towards the end of the process I see that it is removing all updates and it reboots back to W7 Pro. I was not watching the monitor as I knew it would take a while so that was quite a surprise. This is...
  5. Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?: I was just upgrading my Dell Vostro 460 desktop from W7 Pro to W10 Home and towards the end of the process I see that it is removing all updates and it reboots back to W7 Pro. I was not watching the monitor as I knew it would take a while so that was quite a surprise. This is...
  6. Windows 10 Update Getting reverting Back

Windows 10 Update Getting reverting Back: My windows Windows 10 Laptop, if use the option Update and restart, As a part of update process computer does couple of restarts after that computer get shutdown by itselfall the lights - power etc. stop glowing. Even if we wait for long time it wont restart by itself,...
  7. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...
  8. An easy way to configure Windows 10 Pro to revert back to Wi

An easy way to configure Windows 10 Pro to revert back to Wi: I have installed Windows 10 Pro Upgrade on my Surface Pro Tablet. It did not support my wireless card I guess because it does not work. I have tried to installing a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Pro but Windows 10 will not let me. I have tried a bootable and non-bootable drives...
  9. Update from W7 still FREE (May 2017)

Update from W7 still FREE (May 2017): Hi there Before you BUY Windows 10 note : The FREE update from W7 to W10 is STILL working. (13 May 2017). Just done one and finished at 12.40 local time today. 1) download the media creation tool. 2) from within W7 run the setup 3) all done - and you'll see you...
  10. Sony VAIO - revert back to W7 successful

Sony VAIO - revert back to W7 successful: No advice asked for here, it's just a story. I have several laptops, including a ASUS i3 which I took to W10 successfully. This worked so well that I decided to try the same thing on my favorite machine, a Sony VAIO VGN-FW590C. I was initially attracted to this machine...