Windows 10: Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803

Discus and support Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803

Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and noticed the meters were not moving which confirmed the audio issue.

I fixed the devices in OBS since for some reason Windows decided to screw with my audio devices and mess that up. Desktop sound was now present in OBS but no mic.. hmm odd.

After right-clicking the speaker icon in the task tray I immediately noticed a terrible, inefficient menu replaced the old right-click context menu. I had already re-replaced the stupid new sound mixer from Windows 10 with the good one that lets you see levels for each program and adjust them individually but I wasn't aware Windows also changed my right-click menu *Sad.

I fixed the mic sound not working only after searching online to discover that Windows decided to block software from using the mic with a global switch that claims to be for "apps". OBS is not an "app". Yes, I know that it's short for application, but in the context of the modern era (not to mention Microsoft's specific marketing) "app" is a term reserved for that metro nonsense nobody actually likes. It's for things like "Cortana" and "Microsoft Store". Not only is OBS NOT an app, but it isn't even listed in that list under Settings > Privacy > Microphone meaning you cannot selectively control which things can access your mic in Windows 10, using the built-in settings of the OS.

Here's the new, inefficient right-click context menu: https://i.imgur.com/Ci4yXO9.png

I don't want to deal with this. I just want to go straight to playback or recording devices through the context menu. I shouldn't need to click "Sounds" then go to another tab. I can't imagine why Microsoft would make such a stupid change. You almost never need to go to Sounds and you constantly need to go to playback devices because Windows likes changing them whenever you do practically anything. There's also almost no reason, in general to even go to the sounds tab.

Plus, it's huge and clunky and means more work moving the mouse around (keep high resolution displays in mind) and allows for easily clicking the troubleshooter when you don't want to. It uses pretty redundant/nonsensical language by having a "Sounds" and "Open Sound Settings" link on the same context menu.

Also, regarding OBS.. I lost my ReaPlugs filters, probably due to Windows doing something stupid with my audio devices...

So please do let me know how I can revert this lame menu back to the old one. There are so many issues with Windows 10 by default that must be tweaked to make any kind of sense and it's really frustrating having to deal with yet another change that makes no sense.

:)

sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018

2. Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I have the same problem but mine is limited to right clicking the start menu. I can right click everything else and it works correctly, but if I right click the start menu, it doesn't open the context menu and the cursor shifts just a little diagonally to
    the top right. I've tried the suggestions above and the new account works fine and the SFC scan came up with nothing wrong.

Edit- also Winkey + X doesn't bring open the context menu either

jedbillman, Jun 9, 2018
  3. mazYa70 Win User
    Right Click Start Menu Not Opening Context Menu - WINDOWS 10

I tried the above steps and did not work

but i was able to slove it by downloading a tool from internet used for editting WinX Menu (http://winaero.com ),

it is used to Edit the WinX menu. to recover the right click and display the context menu of the start buttom just click on restore defaults and all will work normally with all the funtions included.

good luck.

Maz

mazYa70, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803

1. Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 - Similar Threads - Reverting inefficient right

2. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  3. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  4. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  5. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  6. Right click New context menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click New context menu: I wanna know how to rearrange the new menu when you right click. I just installed Microsoft Office 2019 and the default arrangement is really ugly. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/UnsettledForever [link] [comments]...
  7. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  8. Right Click Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Context Menu Glitch: If I Right Click in File Explorer or on Desktop and hover over "New," The Menu Freezes as does file explorer and will hang for around 30 seconds to one minute. Very Frustrating and hope it can be fixed!...
  9. Right Click context menu sloooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Click context menu sloooow: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS on my self built system. It's been working great for years but recently I have notice when right clicking on any file in File Explorer or on the desktop it takes up to 30 seconds for the context menu to appear. I have read other posts about...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...