Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803

Discus and support Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018.

1. sneak90731 Win User

Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and noticed the meters were not moving which confirmed the audio issue.

I fixed the devices in OBS since for some reason Windows decided to screw with my audio devices and mess that up. Desktop sound was now present in OBS but no mic.. hmm odd.

After right-clicking the speaker icon in the task tray I immediately noticed a terrible, inefficient menu replaced the old right-click context menu. I had already re-replaced the stupid new sound mixer from Windows 10 with the good one that lets you see levels for each program and adjust them individually but I wasn't aware Windows also changed my right-click menu *Sad.

I fixed the mic sound not working only after searching online to discover that Windows decided to block software from using the mic with a global switch that claims to be for "apps". OBS is not an "app". Yes, I know that it's short for application, but in the context of the modern era (not to mention Microsoft's specific marketing) "app" is a term reserved for that metro nonsense nobody actually likes. It's for things like "Cortana" and "Microsoft Store". Not only is OBS NOT an app, but it isn't even listed in that list under Settings > Privacy > Microphone meaning you cannot selectively control which things can access your mic in Windows 10, using the built-in settings of the OS.

Here's the new, inefficient right-click context menu: https://i.imgur.com/Ci4yXO9.png

I don't want to deal with this. I just want to go straight to playback or recording devices through the context menu. I shouldn't need to click "Sounds" then go to another tab. I can't imagine why Microsoft would make such a stupid change. You almost never need to go to Sounds and you constantly need to go to playback devices because Windows likes changing them whenever you do practically anything. There's also almost no reason, in general to even go to the sounds tab.

Plus, it's huge and clunky and means more work moving the mouse around (keep high resolution displays in mind) and allows for easily clicking the troubleshooter when you don't want to. It uses pretty redundant/nonsensical language by having a "Sounds" and "Open Sound Settings" link on the same context menu.

Also, regarding OBS.. I lost my ReaPlugs filters, probably due to Windows doing something stupid with my audio devices...

So please do let me know how I can revert this lame menu back to the old one. There are so many issues with Windows 10 by default that must be tweaked to make any kind of sense and it's really frustrating having to deal with yet another change that makes no sense.

:)

sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018
  2. jedbillman Win User

Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I have the same problem but mine is limited to right clicking the start menu. I can right click everything else and it works correctly, but if I right click the start menu, it doesn't open the context menu and the cursor shifts just a little diagonally to
    the top right. I've tried the suggestions above and the new account works fine and the SFC scan came up with nothing wrong.

Edit- also Winkey + X doesn't bring open the context menu either

jedbillman, Jun 9, 2018
  3. mazYa70 Win User
    Right Click Start Menu Not Opening Context Menu - WINDOWS 10

I tried the above steps and did not work

but i was able to slove it by downloading a tool from internet used for editting WinX Menu (http://winaero.com ),

it is used to Edit the WinX menu. to recover the right click and display the context menu of the start buttom just click on restore defaults and all will work normally with all the funtions included.

good luck.

Maz

mazYa70, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 - Similar Threads - Reverting inefficient right

1. Will my Win 10 install now still be licensed after r revert to W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will my Win 10 install now still be licensed after r revert to W7: A long while back, when Win 10 first was released and the GWX nagware was prevalent, I was running Win 7 Pro 64 and I decided to try the new Win 10 to see how I liked it. So I got the free upgrade version to Win 10 Pro and installed it on my PC and ran it for several days. As...
  2. Your Windows Insider Program content settings have been reverted

in Windows 10 News
    Your Windows Insider Program content settings have been reverted: [ATTACH] Microsoft earlier decided to split their Windows Insider Program into multiple branches. The purpose was to reserve one branch for an upcoming release and other ones for future releases. Along with this option, Windows introduced the “Skip ahead to the [...] This...
  3. Revert Task View button to pre-update version

in Windows 10 Support
    Revert Task View button to pre-update version: In the most recent update, my task view button changed from displaying everything on one screen and having the desktops on the bottom to having a scroll bar and putting the desktops on the top. Is there any way to revert this or do I have to revert the update to reverse this?...
  4. Reverting Back To Factory Default

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reverting Back To Factory Default: Do to a bad install to windows10 version 1803, I had to revert back to the factory default - windows version 1607. How do I go about updating windows to bring it up to date. Should I allow the version 1803 to install again? 110328
  5. Has anyone reverted back from April Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Has anyone reverted back from April Update.: I'm asking since I'm thinking about doing it since I want to go back since there are a few bug issues I don't like. 109479
  6. Cannot Update from Preview 17074; Crashes then reverts, 0xC1900101

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Update from Preview 17074; Crashes then reverts, 0xC1900101: So I've been stuck for a few days now on the dreaded wdfilter.sys infinite green screen of death loop. Finally broke out of it while reading some of the other threads but in the process some weird stuff happened (some drivers/settings changed/were changed such as at one point...
  7. Need assistance with answer file, and some changes reverted after

in Windows 10 Support
    Need assistance with answer file, and some changes reverted after: This tutorial will show step by step how to completely automate Windows Setup and OOBE: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials For Edge favorites, you can use Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to set them in Audit Mode before...