Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803

Discus and support Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018.

1. sneak90731 Win User

Yesterday I allowed Windows to finally update to 1803 and today while streaming a viewer pointed out that he cannot hear anything. I checked OBS and noticed the meters were not moving which confirmed the audio issue.

I fixed the devices in OBS since for some reason Windows decided to screw with my audio devices and mess that up. Desktop sound was now present in OBS but no mic.. hmm odd.

After right-clicking the speaker icon in the task tray I immediately noticed a terrible, inefficient menu replaced the old right-click context menu. I had already re-replaced the stupid new sound mixer from Windows 10 with the good one that lets you see levels for each program and adjust them individually but I wasn't aware Windows also changed my right-click menu *Sad.

I fixed the mic sound not working only after searching online to discover that Windows decided to block software from using the mic with a global switch that claims to be for "apps". OBS is not an "app". Yes, I know that it's short for application, but in the context of the modern era (not to mention Microsoft's specific marketing) "app" is a term reserved for that metro nonsense nobody actually likes. It's for things like "Cortana" and "Microsoft Store". Not only is OBS NOT an app, but it isn't even listed in that list under Settings > Privacy > Microphone meaning you cannot selectively control which things can access your mic in Windows 10, using the built-in settings of the OS.

Here's the new, inefficient right-click context menu: https://i.imgur.com/Ci4yXO9.png

I don't want to deal with this. I just want to go straight to playback or recording devices through the context menu. I shouldn't need to click "Sounds" then go to another tab. I can't imagine why Microsoft would make such a stupid change. You almost never need to go to Sounds and you constantly need to go to playback devices because Windows likes changing them whenever you do practically anything. There's also almost no reason, in general to even go to the sounds tab.

Plus, it's huge and clunky and means more work moving the mouse around (keep high resolution displays in mind) and allows for easily clicking the troubleshooter when you don't want to. It uses pretty redundant/nonsensical language by having a "Sounds" and "Open Sound Settings" link on the same context menu.

Also, regarding OBS.. I lost my ReaPlugs filters, probably due to Windows doing something stupid with my audio devices...

So please do let me know how I can revert this lame menu back to the old one. There are so many issues with Windows 10 by default that must be tweaked to make any kind of sense and it's really frustrating having to deal with yet another change that makes no sense.

:)

sneak90731, Jun 5, 2018
  2. jedbillman Win User

Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I have the same problem but mine is limited to right clicking the start menu. I can right click everything else and it works correctly, but if I right click the start menu, it doesn't open the context menu and the cursor shifts just a little diagonally to
    the top right. I've tried the suggestions above and the new account works fine and the SFC scan came up with nothing wrong.

Edit- also Winkey + X doesn't bring open the context menu either

jedbillman, Jun 9, 2018
  3. mazYa70 Win User
    Right Click Start Menu Not Opening Context Menu - WINDOWS 10

I tried the above steps and did not work

but i was able to slove it by downloading a tool from internet used for editting WinX Menu (http://winaero.com ),

it is used to Edit the WinX menu. to recover the right click and display the context menu of the start buttom just click on restore defaults and all will work normally with all the funtions included.

good luck.

Maz

mazYa70, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Reverting the inefficient right-click context menu for audio in 1803 - Similar Threads - Reverting inefficient right

2. Windows 10 since 1803 cant ping (most of the time) by ipv6 or rdp?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 since 1803 cant ping (most of the time) by ipv6 or rdp?: I have a problem with my desktop since i ran the update to 1803..If i do a ping machinename (in this case a 2016 server).. it will say cannot find host name.. if i keep hammering it, eventually one ping might go through.Same deal with RDP. My network consists of a netgear...
  3. Windows 10 since 1803 cant ping (most of the time) by ipv6 or rdp?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 since 1803 cant ping (most of the time) by ipv6 or rdp?: I have a problem with my desktop since i ran the update to 1803..If i do a ping machinename (in this case a 2016 server).. it will say cannot find host name.. if i keep hammering it, eventually one ping might go through.Same deal with RDP. My network consists of a netgear...
  4. Lost desktop and task-bar Icons windows 10 1709 and 1803 when i turn of online files in...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost desktop and task-bar Icons windows 10 1709 and 1803 when i turn of online files in...: Windows 10 1709 & 1803 Lost icons I am currently going through all UK Windows 10 users and implementing Microsoft One Drive for Business. I currently have 2 users in the UK that are having issues after I have disabled offline files in Sync centre they lose all...
  5. 1803 query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1803 query: Hi... yes having a little trouble with the pesky Win 10 1803 upgrade.... After 4 days... I finally managed 100 % download.... then it automatically commenced installation. Installation got to 89% after 7 and a half hours and sadly I turned my head to answer the phone and...
  6. Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound: Audio appears to work, but I hear no sound. The volume mixer shows when there is sound, but no sound comes out of speakers. When I look at sound, I can test the speakers and they work. But when I changes the Intel Display Audio to the speakers, there is nothing. I can...
  7. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app: To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps" copy *.lnk...
  8. Start Menu and Administrator Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu and Administrator Login: I have the latest version of windows 10 installed on my pc. It does not show start menu on clicking so i cant open settings. I cant fix this issue because Im the only user to operate this pc but im not the administrator. Please help me how to become administrator so that i...
  9. Bluetooth audio lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth audio lag: I have some issues with the audioquality. Using a SurfaceBook2 and Boose QuietComfort. Everytime the computer has been in sleepmode the audio "lag". It's like the sound "snaps" for like half a second, about every 10-20 second. There are two workarounds that i've found that...
  10. English UK language keeps self-installing - Windows 10 build 1803

English UK language keeps self-installing - Windows 10 build 1803: I use 2 languages on my PC: English US and Bulgarian. Nevertheless English UK keyboard keeps installing itself and it's very annoying because I need to press Alt+Shift twice to switch to Bulgarian. English UK doesn't even show in the Region & Language panel but shows in the...