Windows 10: Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

Discus and support Ridding of Windows.old: a snag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As per one of the tutorials, I used used the cleaning facility to remove Windows.old, but can find no evidence of a Previous Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by chipwood, Apr 16, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

As per one of the tutorials, I used used the cleaning facility to remove Windows.old, but can find no evidence of a Previous Windows installation(s)FiFile, when I open the Clean System Files option.
    Can anyone help me, please!

:)

chipwood, Apr 16, 2016
  2. pajopavle Win User

windows.old and start menu

I reinstaled windows 10 to get rid of windows.old folder. windows.old pissed me off. seems like Windows 10 uses some drivers from windovs.old folder and deleting creates problems (disk cleanup is not deleting windows.old).

pajopavle, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Windows.old

I've upgrading a netbook from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've gone through the steps to eliminate the windows.old directory. I did the disk cleanup, then selected to cleanup system files. I've checked the box to eliminate previous windows installations.
    When completed it leaves one system file down about 4 directoried down. Only the one file is left, but it causes the windows.old to remain. How do I get rid of this file (and windows.old). The procedure outlined in many discussions does not completely do the
    job. I would like to get rid of windows.old

Johnny Bowers, Apr 16, 2016
  4. Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

Hidden system files folder options view tab! If the protected system files box is checked off all hidden files and folders even the temp "$Windows~BT" WS and even at times QT installation folders found at the root of the drive won't be in plain view! You would need to uncheck that as well as a couple of other boxes to unhide all of the temp as well as regular protected files and folders. If the Windows.old is already gone it took a few other temp folders along with it.

One quick option for seeing all that taken care of would be going to the Start>Settings>System>Storage>This PC section and scroll the list there to the Temporary Files item. Under the "Previous version of Windows" you simply select the Delete previous versions option and then hit the Delete option found there.

Night Hawk, Apr 16, 2016
  5. chipwood Win User
    Yes, I can see that I have 309MB of temporary files and the Delete temporary files radio button; what I don't see is any option to choose "Previous version of Windows".

chipwood, Apr 16, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    From your Command prompt Admin enter this command and check all the things you want to remove. Then run it.
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

OldMike65, Apr 16, 2016
  7. Ridding of Windows.old: a snag [​IMG]

Apparently you never made it into the correct section likely from not going far enough along. For each item you click you enter a new screen. When previously pointing to the Start>Settings>System>Storage>This PC section I forgot to mention the need to click on the Main drive item found at the top represently the C drive which then will open up to the screen there.

You can nuke all temp files as well as the previous version's files and folders, empty the Recycle Bin, and even see the Downloads folder cleaned out from your user account. The box for nuking the files, folders for the Previous versions of Windows is marked there.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

1. Ridding of Windows.old: a snag - Similar Threads - Ridding old snag

2. Can't get rid of an old work account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get rid of an old work account: I had a work Exchange account which I used on my personal laptop for OneDrive, Outlook, Teams, etc. I no longer work there and I can't access the account. But try as I might I can't get rid of all the traces of it. It took me a long time to work out how to stop the...
  3. If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU: If you hit an error when update Defender definition April 27th, do this:> PowerShell OR Windows Terminal.type cd.. hit entertype cd.. hit entertype Update-MpSignatureWhen complete it will not be listed with Definition Updates in Update History. The next one via WU tomorrow...
  4. get rid of old outlook account

get rid of old outlook account: Hi, I had an outlook account with a group of professionals I no longer work with. I created a new account for our new group. Every time I log in I first get prompted to open the account I no longer have a password for and don't want to use anymore. How do I get rid of...
  5. Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage

Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage: At the very first step in the Install Windows threw this warning. Am I assuming correctly that if I check "Private Network..." all features will be available and that I not be facing any security risks? Thanks for your help. [img] 168285
  6. HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag: I purchased a second monitor so that I could have one in Landscape frame and one in Portrait frame. The HDMI splitter that I purchased replicates only one orientation. It does not provide for independent rotation of a second other monitor. With the splitter in- line Windows...
  7. HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag

in Windows 10 Support
    HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag: I purchased a second monitor so that I could have one in Landscape frame and one in Portrait frame. The HDMI splitter that I purchased replicates only one orientation. It does not provide for independent rotation of a second other monitor. With the splitter in- line Windows...
  8. How to get rid of old USB drivers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get rid of old USB drivers?: Rollback is grayed out. I uninstall the device "M25 digital scale" but a re-install picked up the old USB that are not working. They worked for an USB ASIC miner that I used at one time. The scale works perfectly on another win 10 1903 system. What is strange is that the...
  9. Snag with Repair Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Snag with Repair Install: I thought that I would try to do a repair install as I am having a few problems with my computer, but when I get to the page where I am asked what I choose to keep the 1st 2 options are greyed out and my only choice is 'Nothing'. The reason appears to be due to a message at...
  10. Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10: Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10 When the Defense Department announced its plan to upgrade most of its computers to Windows 10 by 2017, the Marine Corps, characteristically, said it would go first. But the smallest of the Defense services has...