Windows 10: Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown

Discus and support Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; You should always load setup defaults on updated BIOS then go and make your necessary changes. It did that by default....that was the point of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Plankton, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Plankton Win User

Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown

It did that by default....that was the point of my "update" post.

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Steve C Win User

People with older Gigabyte motherboards may be interested in my exchange with Gigabyte support below. It appears they will supply new BIOSs for Spectre / Meltdown when ready on request but not publish them on the Gigabyte support page. How very bizarre!

Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Apr 9, 2018
  3. Random freezes on Windows 10

How is the 1703 regarding the threats of Meltdown and Spectre? This was before they found the flaws, so basically I will have to stay on 1703 and disable upgrades to keep from getting upgraded back up to 1709? Which again won't install any updates towards
    Spectre and Meltdown? Unless that's 100% covered in updates for BIOS and the MOBO, of course.

Håkon Nygård, Apr 9, 2018
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Computer infected with the virus back yes should replace hard drive new not, my hard drive is still good?

We are not able to confirm the accuracy of the information provided in that link. If you are concerned about the new hardware processor vulnerabilities that are Spectre and Meltdown. We have here a dedicated support article to provide more information on
    how to
    Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 9, 2018
  5. Faith Win User
    I don't think Gigabyte is the only one who does this to be honest. It's the norm for board manufacturers to stop updating the support page for chipsets that's being - or already are - discontinued. This Spectre vulnerability case is quite unique and I agree with you that the importance of the issue should take over any form of support policy the company has. On the positive side though you got the BIOS update. *Smile

Faith, Apr 9, 2018
  6. camelia Win User
    Oh my! How can I contact Gigabyte Support? could you please share the link

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0)

Thanks

camelia, Apr 9, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    I use Gigabyte e Support here GIGABYTE - eSupport

You need to register before you ask questions. The new BIOS they sent me in their support email does now protect against Spectre. There must be thousands of users around the world using older unprotected Gigabyte motherboards since the firm can't be arsed to copy the new BIOS to their support page.

Steve C, Apr 10, 2018
  8. paulco Win User

I contacted them for a z77x-ud5h-wb(rev 1.0), got a reply back with an f16k bios attached.
    Haven't installed it yet (just replaced a failed psu today).

paulco, Apr 17, 2018
  9. xips Win User
    Thanks for that. Using that info I recontacted GB & they linked me to an update for a GA-B85M-D3H MB. I'm curious why they don't post the updates on the web support pages.

10. Steve C Win User
    Thanks for your tip. GB have just sent a F16K BIOS for my standard Ga-Z77X-UD5H board. It's astonishing they don't post the the updated BIOS on the support web site.

Steve C, Apr 18, 2018
  11. xips Win User
    Gigabyte's response to me about not having the updates freely available at their web site was: It should get updated on our website as well soon. we normally start with the more recent models and work the way back

12. I don't see the big issue with this, to be honest. Your average home user isn't going to care and doesn't understand BIOS updates. Flip that over to power users, and many of us don't see much of a need to "fix" this at home. It's a big deal in the corporate space, but I'm not worried about it on my home computers.

DeaconFrost, Apr 18, 2018
  13. Plankton Win User

I'm glad I seen this thread. I've been patiently waiting for a bios update and it seems I would still be waiting. I just sent my support ticket for the update. Thanks!

Plankton, Apr 18, 2018
  14. Plankton Win User
    Update: I installed my new F9c BIOS...all went well up to the reboot where I was greeted with the message 'no operating system found".

So this BIOS update broke my RAID 0 setup. I just spent the last 5 hours setting up my RAID, resetting my BIOS as the XMP was set to default and my SATA ports were set to default. That is the hot swap feature was turned off. I had to re enable all 6 of them. Then reinstalling my OS/drivers and my basic software. I probably have a few more hours of software and games to do but I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Plankton, Apr 19, 2018
  15. winactive Win User
    You should always load setup defaults on updated BIOS then go and make your necessary changes.

I just requested an update for my motherboard/CPU.

winactive, Apr 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown - Similar Threads - Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS

2. CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!: i want to enable secure boot in my PC. but can't do it. help me if anyone knows the solution. there's also not any csm support showing in my bios https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csm-support-not-showing-in-gigabyte-bios/231fe5c2-3473-4b4e-a779-89115088018b
  3. CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CSM support not showing in gigabyte bios!: i want to enable secure boot in my PC. but can't do it. help me if anyone knows the solution. there's also not any csm support showing in my bios https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csm-support-not-showing-in-gigabyte-bios/231fe5c2-3473-4b4e-a779-89115088018b
  4. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  5. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  6. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  7. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  8. Question about Spectre and Meltdown

Question about Spectre and Meltdown: I recently updated windows 10 1809 from 1709. on topic, is my laptop spectre or meltdown proof. please explain this picture [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-spectre-and-meltdown/20b0315e-d783-4364-8721-91f662c97fb0"
  9. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  10. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet: What are the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, and how do they affect you? This essential guide will tell you everything you need to know about Spectre and Meltdown. Spectre and Meltdown: Cheat sheet - TechRepublic 103219

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gigabyte bios for spectre f9c

2. ga-z77x-ud5h f16k bios