Windows 10: Right Click doesn't work on certain files if they are on Desktop

Discus and support Right Click doesn't work on certain files if they are on Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay, this is a weird one, I can right click on files if they are in a folder, or even folder view, but if the files is an image file *.jpg, *.png,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tlarseth, Nov 6, 2015.

1. tlarseth Win User

Right Click doesn't work on certain files if they are on Desktop

Okay, this is a weird one, I can right click on files if they are in a folder, or even folder view, but if the files is an image file *.jpg, *.png, etc... I am unable to do a right click on it. Sometimes I can see the menu pop up, but then it disappears almost as quick as it shows up. This is only on my desktop, but if I open desktop inside file explorer I can right click with no problems. Anyone know of a fix for this, as I constantly put files on my desktop for work while I am working on them, and would be a lot easier if I can right click on them to choose what program to open them with, like I was able to do with 8.1 before the win10 upgrade.

I have attached dxdiag.txt in case it might help. I read somewhere skype can do this with it's iexplore add-on, but I have it disabled already. I am running premium edition of Malwarebytes on my computer as well.

I have also tried this method to no avail.
    Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums

:)

tlarseth, Nov 6, 2015
  2. MZukoff Win User

Right click does not work on desktop and there are no icons

To make a long story short, the folks at my local Microsoft store reset my computer, as the last update corrupted the OS.

Since then there are no icons on my desktop, and right clicking on the desktop does not work to bring up the context menu for the desktop. Yes, the right click does work on other locations.

I have already changed the mouse.

MZukoff, Nov 6, 2015
  3. Right click does not work on desktop and there are no icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will assist you in solving the issue.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Perform Disk Cleanup.

I suggest you to refer the link below and run the Disk Cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 6, 2015
Thema:

Right Click doesn't work on certain files if they are on Desktop

1. Right Click doesn't work on certain files if they are on Desktop - Similar Threads - Right Click doesn't

2. Right click on certain files not working, file explorer automatically close

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right click on certain files not working, file explorer automatically close: I'm facing an issue here...When I right click on my files such as word, excel, pdf, ppt, jpg... are totally not working, the file explorer will automatically close but when I right click on the folders, video files mp4, mp3 or zip files, there are working and only these kind...
  3. Right click doesn't work on my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click doesn't work on my desktop: Hi everyone, I can't seem to right click on my desktop to create a new folder. I can right click on my existing icons, but I can't right click anywhere else on my desktop. I have tried going into Registry Editor under directory and removing certain folders (I followed online...
  4. Right click on desktop not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click on desktop not working.: hi, I have noticed that whenever I right click on my desktop it gives me the loading symbol, aborts and then restarts and im not sure whats causing this, i looked into the problem scripts and found these were potential problems anyone able to help. Source Windows Explorer...
  5. right click not working on certain files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click not working on certain files: when I enter a folder in which some files are there, if file formats like jpg, pdf etc are there and if I want to right click on them for copy, delete, rename etc then the right click menu never pops up, instead the every open folder gets shut and I get back to the desktop....
  6. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  7. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  8. Right click doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right click doesn't work: I have a Microsoft HP Envy and the right click on the touchpad stopped working all of a sudden. Maybe the updates had something to do with it? I don't know how to fix it. The left click works fine....
  9. Right click on desktop or files not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click on desktop or files not working: Looking for solution about my Right Click which suddenly not working anymore... 6428
  10. Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.: I have downloaded Windows 10 as I am sure you all have. When I right-click [on a .jpg] on the desktop it takes ages to bring-up the context menu and invariably does NOT RESPOND [so my task manager tells me]. How do I fix this? 16837