Windows 10: Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu

Discus and support Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In some applications (Office 2010, Adobe Reader DC) right-clicking on the screen shows a context menu but then usually hides it again. Holding the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Simon Kravis, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu

In some applications (Office 2010, Adobe Reader DC) right-clicking on the screen shows a context menu but then usually hides it again. Holding the right button down or double-clicking sometimes makes the menu stay after the button is released, and sometimes the context menu remains visible after a single right-click. In other applications (eg Notepad, Paint) the context menu does not disappear after a single right-button click

I have tried using ShellExView to disable all 3rd party context menus, as has been suggested as a remedy for this problem, but this does not change the behaviour.

:)

Simon Kravis, Oct 9, 2016

2. Right Click Context Menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

Please follow the methods below and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. If not, I would suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Boot the computer to Safe Mode. In Safe Mode computer starts
    with minimal set of drivers and files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan from Safe Mode and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Hope this helps.

If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 9, 2016
  3. Waxifrade Win User
    Right Click Context Menu

Hi,

Some time ago on Windows 7 Pro, I had an issue where I was unable to open any EXE files, including the Regedit.exe command. This was a real pain at the time but eventually I was able to overcome this (I forget how exactly) but I think I followed an online
    manual registry fix.

Since then, whenever I right click on an EXE file or shortcut linked to and EXE file, at the very top of the list is the following:

"%1" %" (I believe this used to say Open or Run, cant quite remember)

Immediately underneath this is the usual Run as administrator and under that is the Troubleshoot compatibility.

I thought upgrading to Windows 10 would fix this, but it hasn't. Can someone please advise how I an put this piece of text back to whatever the default is?

Many thanks,

Mark

Waxifrade, Oct 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu

Hi, Shellexview seems not to list all context menu entries these days. Try Shellmenuview.

Be careful to hide MS entries.

Try other approaches:
    a. clean boot
    If after disabling context menu entries and a clean boot you still have the problem
    b. check in Safe Mode.

c. Or is it a user profile corruption problem?
    Create a new user for test purposes, and check with that.

Basically a process of elimination and comparison.

d. If by playing with the above you can't reach a point where the symptom doesn't occur, that would point to Windows corruption.

dalchina, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Just found some more 3rd party context menus in ShellExView (coloured pink) at the bottom the listing - disabling these seems to allow right-click to show context menu for all the problem programs

Simon Kravis, Oct 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good- so you can identify the particular one or ones causing a problem, and then either leave it/them disabled or uninstall the program if not needed or check for an update.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  7. Simon Kravis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu

1. Right-click in some apps shows then hides context menu - Similar Threads - Right click apps

2. Right-click context menu "Show more options"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click context menu "Show more options": It would be better if you provide an option to make "Show more options" as default on right-click context menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu-show-more-options/8a37dd42-198e-4a95-9666-d122afeb1846
  3. Right-click context menu "Show more options"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click context menu "Show more options": It would be better if you provide an option to make "Show more options" as default on right-click context menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu-show-more-options/8a37dd42-198e-4a95-9666-d122afeb1846
  4. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  5. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  6. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  7. Right-click context menu not showing all the options

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right-click context menu not showing all the options: [ATTACH] I am trying to add a new .txt file to edit but there is no option. if I go to my file explorer and right-click and in the new tab there not a lot of options and not nay that i am familiar with other then the shortcut...
  8. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  9. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...