Windows 10: Right Click non operational from the Windows button/Restart hangs

Discus and support Right Click non operational from the Windows button/Restart hangs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have done a free upgrade from Windows 7 Premium to Windows 10 Home. The upgrade appears to have worked fine. However, one problem that I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gugs, Sep 9, 2015.

1. gugs Win User

Right Click non operational from the Windows button/Restart hangs

I have done a free upgrade from Windows 7 Premium to Windows 10 Home.

The upgrade appears to have worked fine.

However, one problem that I have is that when I right click the Windows button I get the Menu of Windows Apps but only the 'Run' and 'Search' are working, all others (Windows Explorer, Control Panel, Task Manager .......... up to .... Programs and Features) are non operational. Group1, Group2 and Group5 folders at C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows have the short cuts to the Windows apps and they all work fine when I click on them. Just incase the problem was with existing users prior to the upgrade, I created a new user after the upgrade, the same problem persists.

The other issue is the Restart option just hangs, the machine never restarts. Shutdown is fine.

Any help with these two issues will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

:)

gugs, Sep 9, 2015

2. Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500

It began a couple of days ago, and NO, I have not made any changes to my laptop that runs off a Windows 10 operating system. The mouse functions normally with regards to the Right-Click button, and the Thumb Wheel. It's the Left-Click button that is non-responsive.

AnthonyCapobianco, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Windows 10 freezes on right click

Original Title: Windows 10 Problem

I have a PC with Window 10 operating system (upgraded from Windows 7), my PC problem is:

Sometimes if I right click on any object (except desktop when I right click it the shortcut menu appear), the shortcut menu doesn't appear and my PC goes hanging until I repeatedly left click on the desktop. Sometimes (not always) when I restart my PC, the
    problem disappear.

So how can I solve this problem?

BasimFaraj, Sep 9, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi gugs and welcome to TenForums.

I would like you to try turning off Fast Startup, shut the computer down and then start it up again several times. (do NOT use RESTART)

Run sfc /scannow to make sure there are no integrity violations in your system files. If it finds and repairs some, or finds some but was unable to repair, please run it 3 or 4 times, until you get the "all clear".

Are your files all backed up? We may need to do a reset after the sfc /scannow procedure. Please make sure your system is "activated" before trying that.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

simrick, Sep 9, 2015
  5. gugs Win User
    Simrick thanks for your suggestions. I did as suggested and now the machine does not shutdown, it states it is shutting down and it stays in that mode, there is no disk activity. So shut down is now only possible by pressing the Power button down continuously for a few seconds. Anyway I did this several times.

I also ran the sfc/scannow command and the result was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So that all appears fine.

So both the problems still persist.

6. simrick Win User
    Drat! That Fast Startup trick usually resolves quite a few issues. Let's first concentrate on the shutdown issue. Okay, a few questions please:

1. Did you experience any issues when upgrading at all?
    2. What programs have you installed on the machine? Anything like ONOFF by Gigabyte? (Feel free to post the text file from Ccleaner. If you don't know how to do that, please ask.)
    3. What external devices (if any) do you have connected to the laptop, and do you have any of them set to "do not allow the computer to sleep" them? Were any of them connected during the upgrade?
    4. Does the laptop sleep/hibernate successfully, or do you have problems with that as well?
    5. Is all your data backed up?
    6. Does the OS show as "activated"? Settings>Update & Security>Activation
    7. Please have a look in your update history and see what driver updates (if any) have been installed.
    Settings>Update & Security>Advanced Options>View your update history
    8. Please post screenshots of your power settings regarding "when I close the lid" and "when I press the power button". We may want to completely disable any sleep, hybrid sleep (Fast Startup), hibernation functions.
    9. Does the problem also happen in Safe Mode?
    10. Is your BIOS up-to-date?
    11. Do you have an OEM BT (bluetooth) suite installed? If so, try uninstalling it, force shutdown, and let Windows Update install a BT driver upon restart.

Great.

Please try this and tell me if it makes a difference:
    Close all open programs.
    Open a command prompt and type shutdown /p and press enter.
    (Notice the space before the forward slash.) This performs a full shutdown, but will stop if there are any unsaved jobs and will prompt you to save them. Report back the results.

Depending on your answers to the above questions, we may have to try a clean install. This is why I need to know if all your data is backed up, and your system is indeed activated. Once W10 is activated, you can clean install as many times as you want/need.

Thanks.

simrick, Sep 10, 2015
  7. gugs Win User
    Thank you for your post, here are the details you have requested. Please note, the machine shutsdown fine if I activate the Fast Start Up option.

8. simrick Win User

Hi gugs.
    Sorry about the confusion - your system specs say you are on a laptop.

Right Click non operational from the Windows button/Restart hangs [​IMG]

Okay, upgrade went smoothly, external devices are plugged in on an as-needed basis, it hibernates/sleeps successfully, windows is activated...

and, shutdown /p hangs? there is nothing for you to "close" that it gives you, yet it hangs?

Were any external devices connected during the upgrade?
    Have you got your data backed up now?
    Do you have Chrome x64 installed? If so please remove it and use the 32-bit (or their Canary version).
    Any bangs in Device Manager?

Try this:
    (Please back up your data and save your software keycodes as we troubleshoot)
    - Disconnect all external devices
    - Resolve Chrome issue (if present)
    - Shutdown the computer/ start it up
    - Try the Restart function
    - Try the Start Button right-click menu

If the issues still persist:
    - Please boot into safe mode and see if the Start Button right-click menu works. Restart into normal mode.

Report back.

If the issues resolve in safe mode, we may want to try a clean boot, and start ruling out non-MS software. Note that this instruction is for W8.x, but works the same in W10.

None. Once the W10 OS is activated on a system, MS use the activation of the qualifying OS plus some major components info, create a hash and store that on the MS activation servers. You will be able to "clean install" as often as you want/need, choosing "skip" if asked for a key, and it will activate in the future every time. (Now, if you go upgrading your motherboard, MS see that as a new system, and you will be required to buy a key. But, if you replace like-for-like due to failure, it will simply require a call to MS for manual activation.)

Edit: When you said Vzue, did you mean Vuze, the bittorrent client? If so, I would suggest running an ESET online scan, after backing up your data, but before additional troubleshooting.

simrick, Sep 11, 2015
  9. gugs Win User
    Have full version of Malware and Avast on the machine

10. simrick Win User
    The right-click start menu did not work correctly in safe mode?
    Okay, will have to do some research on this...

Yep, and I've seen those programs, (and recommend them), on plenty of machines; still something can get in and ESET is pretty aggressive at finding them. It's just always suspect when torrenting is going on, because you can never really trust the people you are getting stuff from, you know? Always better to be safe.

I will be unavailable for a few hours, but will see if I can find some further info on the start menu problem.

simrick, Sep 12, 2015
  11. simrick Win User
    Hi @gugs,
    I found this; you might try it and see if it works for the start menu issues:
    Windows 10 Start Right-Click Context Menu Items Dont Open - Super User

If re-copying the WinX folder doesn't solve the problem, there is probably an obsolete registry entry pointing to a shell extension. You can track it down with this little jewel: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    Sort by manufacturer and then disable all the non-Microsoft entries. Restart Windows Explorer (ctrl-e in the program) and see if your right-click works on something like Control Panel.
    Then just re-enable them one at a time (or in small groups) and ctrl-e to restart Windows Explorer each time. Test each time to be sure your links are still working. Eventually you'll find the culprit. You can then use the program to locate the CLSID in the registry and delete or disable it. Done and done! Good luck -- hope it works for you!

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Right Click non operational from the Windows button/Restart hangs - Similar Threads - Right Click non

2. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  3. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  4. Cannot right click on Windows Start Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot right click on Windows Start Button: Hi there.I am running a fully updated copy of Windows 10 Pro x64.Around about 15th December my PC had some kind of issue that caused about 4 different problems.I have been able to fix them all except for one.When I right click the Windows Start Button the context menu refuses...
  5. Taskbar hangs and restarts when clicked

Taskbar hangs and restarts when clicked: Hello. I am running Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 1904.331. At times, my taskbar hangs and then restarts when clicked. When the taskbar hangs, the cursor turns into a spinning wheel when I hover it over the taskbar. I have three monitors, though one monitor is an iPad being...
  6. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  7. Right click on desktop hangs

Right click on desktop hangs: After turning my laptop onrunning on windows 10 whenever I right click at the desktop it hangs for about 5-7 minutes and shows. Please help ASAP because once it hangs I cannot access anything at the desktop....
  8. Right click hangs computer

Right click hangs computer: All of a sudden, when I right click on a shortcut, the system hangs, and I have to restart the desktop. I have booted to safe mode and the same thing happens. I can right click in an open space and create a new folder etc. I just can not right click a shortcut. Windows 10...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Win 10 hangs when right clicking

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 hangs when right clicking: I have bought a new Lenovo H30 desktop Pc with Win 10 on it. Finding it the worst OS that I have ever used. (Normally a Linux user). XP is easier. I've used many file managers in the past and this one is the least intuitive and hard to use. When I right click on a file or...