Windows 10: Right click not working in Explorer

Discus and support Right click not working in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure when this issue came up, maybe a few days or longer, I just kept doing other things to get by. If on a webpage or desktop I can use the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bullfights, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Right click not working in Explorer

Not sure when this issue came up, maybe a few days or longer, I just kept doing other things to get by. If on a webpage or desktop I can use the right click, but in explorer if I right click a folder it brings up the menu, then taskbar icons all flash, then quickly disappears, dont have a clue whats up.

anyone have ideas where to look

Gerry

:)

bullfights, Apr 12, 2016

2. Right click not working and file explorer takes ages to open!

Same here.

I've tried everything even create a new admin account with no success next step is format and install win again :-(

David2Felix, Apr 12, 2016
  3. alpie_ap Win User
    Right click not working and file explorer takes ages to open!

So I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have been trying to organise my folders and files in My Documents, and whenever I right click in a folder, on a folder or on a file, the blue circle comes up like it's loading but nothing happens. So I left click
    elsewhere and my current screen goes pale and I'm informed that it's Not Responding. Great. So click exit (which still works while the rest is not responding, for some reason), and try again, and the same thing just keeps happening! I can't make a new folder
    from right clicking or from the New Folder button at the top of the screen. I can't delete files. I can't rename them. The only thing I can do is open a file or folder.

I'm also having issues clicking on File Explorer from the taskbar. Whenever I try to access this from there it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to open. Like two minutes! (Is this a 'hang'?) But I can access it from the Start menu by clicking on This PC, which opens
    instantly.

How can I fix these problems?? It is beyond frustrating!!

alpie_ap, Apr 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Right click not working in Explorer

Hi, the usual tool to identify possible shell extension problems (+ context menu entries) is Shellexview (freeware).

Download, install, run hide all MS extensions, and disable the rest.
    See if anything has changed.

Note the 32 bit option too which exposes more extensions - a bit confusing.

Please try that and post the outcome. Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  5. Well I downloaded and ran ShellExView, and hid all MS extensions, leaving only 3rd party viewable. at first I selected all context menu extensions and disabled them but still has issue, so I selected all of the extensions and disabled them restarted Explorer and same issue, no change. so must be a MS extension, and there are many lol, can I disable all of them and one by one bring them back, or will it lock up my system. I am recording video right now so I cannot stop what I am doing for another 2 hours.

thanks

bullfights, Apr 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, no, things can get awkward if you disable MS extensions.
    So it's not that.

The most conservative step now would be to create a disk image (3rd party program such as Macrium Reflect - free) or a system image (Control Panel, Backup and Restore). Both require a large enough external backup medium.

Then run, from an admin command prompt
    chkdsk C: /F
    - make sure no problems are reported before you continue.

Next, if you have any restore points before when you think this occurred, now would be a good time to use them.

If you don't, if you have a previous system image or disk image that may be appropriate, restore that.

If you have none of these, then run, from an admin level command prompt
    sfc /scannow

Check to see this reports nothing of significance.

See if the problem remains.
    If it does, then:

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  7. Thats a list lol...

ok so I dont have a system image already so I will create one now, but before I even did that or check disk I checked SFC Scan and result was a cbs.log file and this note before:

Chkdsk was made during restart so didnt get to see much other than it said it had some repairs, I tried again after restart but said the volume is in use for a restart chkdsk, ? lol

System image is going on now, do you want me to post the sfc scan?

Thanks

bullfights, Apr 13, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Good.. no, if SFC gave a good outcome, - has it made any difference to your rt click?
    I'm willing to guess it hasn't.. but it's worth trying before more drastic repairs.

It's unlikely that chkdsk repairs will fix anything, but that it did showed it was worth running before sfc.

The list is just a set of standard basic actions.. worth keeping if unfamiliar.
    Another standard approach is to try a clean boot (i.e. minimising possible conflicting programs).

dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  9. boskey Win User
    Nothing works in IE go to Google.

boskey, Apr 13, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  11. boskey Win User
    What i am saying IE doe's what it likes and Microsoft has never fixed the problems and I have been using computers for twenty years they have the same problems then as they do now so use a proper search engine *092

boskey, Apr 13, 2016
  12. LOL not Internet Explorer, its File Explorer, no other issues outside of that...

I use Chrome extensively

bullfights, Apr 14, 2016
  13. Right click not working in Explorer

yeah it didnt help anything still happening. I am thinking about re-installing, also because I bought a new 480GB SSD, currently have a 120GB. But that means I will most likely do a clean install, or should I try a disk to disk image copy with Acronis, hmm

bullfights, Apr 14, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    You can try the in-place upgrade repair install I mentioned before.
    This is a rather good repair technique, and a lot faster with a SSD.

And yes, it's quite possible to use disk imaging to replace your drive. Windows activation is ok with that.

As to a clean install.. depends where you've come from with this build. If it was an upgrade, a good idea if setting up things won't cost you too much time.

But if you've a lot installed, might lose program licenses, and it would cost a lot of time, that's another matter.

dalchina, Apr 14, 2016
  15. hmm ok I think I will do the in-place upgrade like you suggest and then if that works out issues I will do the disk imaging to change drives, that way its already fixed.

Clean install is no problemo, this New PC build (just updated System Specs) was just that, last PC build was 7 to 10 upgrade, the clean install was with a Brink tutorial

Thanks for help, I'll try to get it started, I need to back everything up first.

bullfights, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Right click not working in Explorer - Similar Threads - Right click working

2. Explorer crashing on right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashing on right click: Explorer.exe keeps crashing when I right click in a window or on the desktop. This seemed to start happening randomly and not after a Windows update or anything in particular.I have tried the following:-Disabled antivirus-Disabled context menu's using ShellExView-Booting into...
  3. Explorer crashing on right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashing on right click: Explorer.exe keeps crashing when I right click in a window or on the desktop. This seemed to start happening randomly and not after a Windows update or anything in particular.I have tried the following:-Disabled antivirus-Disabled context menu's using ShellExView-Booting into...
  4. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  5. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  6. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. explorer right click

explorer right click: I do not get a format option when I right click on CD driveDiskmanager, however, does have a format optionScandisk and DISM both run without finding any problemsc: cd \Windows/System32 Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup pause Dism /online /cleanup-Image...
  8. PROBLEM: Right Click And File Explorer Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROBLEM: Right Click And File Explorer Not Working: Ok, Let's Go Straight To The Point: Everytime I Press Right Click In The Desktop, I'm Greeted With An Spinning Circle, If I Do Nothing It Just Stay There, Spinning, If I Do Something It Blacks Out And Appears Again, And About File Explorer, If I Open Any Folder It Just Gives...
  9. Windows Explorer right click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer right click: If, in Windows Explorer, I right click on a file, to see the "Properties", I am presented instead with an ENORMOUS List of "facilities" that I NEVER use, but I have then to click the down arrow to get where I want.How can I -EITHERRemove most of these items from that menu...
  10. Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar)

Left-Click and right-click not work after right-click on File Explorer (in task bar): when I right-click on file explorer to try to open frequent or pinned folder, left-click or right-click on folder name are resulting in nothing happen but I can still pin or unpin folder normally....