Windows 10: right click scan in windows defender?

Discus and support right click scan in windows defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I believe it's called adding it to the context menu.. I saw a registry hack for Windows 8 but i'm not sure how to do it in Windows 10.. I got used to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by avemaria, Aug 2, 2015.

1. avemaria Win User

right click scan in windows defender?

I believe it's called adding it to the context menu.. I saw a registry hack for Windows 8 but i'm not sure how to do it in Windows 10.. I got used to using MSE in Windows 7 so now i'm lost not being able to right click a file to scan it immediately.. anyone know how to enable this in W10 Defender?

or should I just dump Defender totally for another Free antivirus? I was using Avast for awhile but MSE was less heavy on the resources so I went with that..

:)

avemaria, Aug 2, 2015

2. Right Click file scan is scanning entire system with Quick Scan, not the file only.

Right click scan will scan only the file you selected and its containers.

Try scan another file and folder and see whether problem persist?

When you scan the file, how many items are being scanned?

Cyber_Defend_Team, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Right Click file scan is scanning entire system with Quick Scan, not the file only.

Why is the right-click option "Scan with windows defender..." option doing an entire quick scan of the PC rather than just the file I have selected to actually scan? Is this not a bug in programming?

It seems a little over the top, when the system has already been scanned and I only want to check one particular file using the right-click option to scan it with Defender. I believe that is the right-click option's intended purpose.

It is actually one single Office Word Doc I was trying to scan for any harmful or malicious contents, before opening it.

It doesn't seem to matter where on the PC it is located, the right click option does not just scan the selected item.

I've never installed any other virus or security prog. (clean Windows 10 + recent major update that we all received).

Only ever used Defender. I am diligent with security & updates.

OR, if it is actually scanning the file, there is no obvious response from the Defender Program that the particular file is free of malicious content.

Steve L_982, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Aug 2, 2015
  5. avemaria Win User
    thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Sorry, I had the wrong link first time. Go back to the post, I've got the right link there now.
    It works in Windows 10
    Sorry bout that! *Redface

Edwin, Aug 2, 2015
  7. avemaria Win User
    that only works through Windows 8.1 *Tongue I can try and see what happens in 10 but i'm not sure..

avemaria, Aug 2, 2015
  8. avemaria Win User

ok it works *Smile maybe he should move that post to the 10 tutorial section and include that it also works with Windows 10.

avemaria, Aug 2, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    It works in Windows 10.

right click scan in windows defender? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 2, 2015
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I would like to invoke the GUI version instead of the command-line one. Why can't Defender be as MSE?

eLPuSHeR, Aug 4, 2015
  11. I would like to do the same.

eikaiwamax, Aug 18, 2015
  12. Borg 386 Win User
  13. right click scan in windows defender?

Great news! With TH2 the right click scan option is back by default!

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. right click scan in windows defender? - Similar Threads - right click scan

2. Cannot right click and scan with Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot right click and scan with Microsoft Defender: Right click on any folder, more options, Scan with Microsoft defender opens the Windows Security window and says "Page not available - Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app and the item you tried to access is not available Contact IT helpdesk for...
  3. Cannot right click and scan with Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot right click and scan with Microsoft Defender: Right click on any folder, more options, Scan with Microsoft defender opens the Windows Security window and says "Page not available - Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app and the item you tried to access is not available Contact IT helpdesk for...
  4. Scan to folder that is open from right click menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scan to folder that is open from right click menu.: Anyone have ideas for me on how to trigger a scan from a printer/scanner from the right click context menu to the folder that is open? I've explored adding options to right click menu with registry editor, but can't figure out how to add a "Scan to this folder" option.Any...
  5. Scan to folder that is open from right click menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scan to folder that is open from right click menu.: Anyone have ideas for me on how to trigger a scan from a printer/scanner from the right click context menu to the folder that is open? I've explored adding options to right click menu with registry editor, but can't figure out how to add a "Scan to this folder" option.Any...
  6. Double click is not opening Windows Defender\Scans folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click is not opening Windows Defender\Scans folder: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-is-not-opening-windows-defenderscans/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  7. Double click on the Windows Defender\Scans folder is not opening it

Double click on the Windows Defender\Scans folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-windows-defenderscans-folder/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  8. Right click and Windows defender

Right click and Windows defender: Dear Support team, Need help below 1. Right click of any file, folder, application, software is not working, it keep on scrolling round? 2. Windows defender scan is suspending continuously while full scan or custom scan or quick scan? Can you please help on above issues....
  9. Windows Defender right click Menu

Windows Defender right click Menu: After update, i right click on windows defender icon but it's looks blurry, any tips for this problem? [ATTACH] [Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-right-click-menu/dceb6cd4-ac49-40bd-bdb0-2b4172e00a14
  10. Windows Defender Scan Right Click

Windows Defender Scan Right Click: Hello guys. Please tell me how can i disable this [img] When i press right click in a file show me option to scan if clean or no..How can stop it this? Thanks 64333

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right click no windows security scan