Windows 10: Right click start button - some links do not work

Discus and support Right click start button - some links do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Another issue I see (on a different Win10 machine) is when i right click the start menu the links that are pointed out in red do not work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by acrusco, Aug 19, 2015.

1. acrusco Win User

Right click start button - some links do not work

Hi Guys,

Another issue I see (on a different Win10 machine) is when i right click the start menu the links that are pointed out in red do not work. all other links work fine. It seems the shortcuts are broken but i looked in the user folders and they are all there. clicking the links in the users folder opens the screens but using the shortcut doesn't seem to work. it's very odd.

This is a Win10 Pro machine.

Right click start button - some links do not work [​IMG]

:)

acrusco, Aug 19, 2015

2. Right click start button some items lead to zip files - how do I solve this?

thanks.

I tried start taskmgr with another user account. But strange that there is no response after I "right click start menu, then click taskmgr"

Just nothing happen, not even "zip file error message " as with original account .

I tried to create another new user account and get the same results. (i.e. nothing happen, no error message , no taskmgr window )

However, I can still start task manager with "CRTL+SHIFT+Esc"

appreciate if can give any advice.

by the way, Below are those command tried before and all completed without errors.

i) System File Checker

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

ii) Full Virus Scan using Windows Defender.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc#v1h=tab01

iii)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

iv) a) powershell

b) Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

patrickchau, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Right click start button some items lead to zip files - how do I solve this?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Start menu on Windows 10. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if some system file is corrupt.

I suggest you to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

1. Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:

2. Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.

3. Click File > Run New Task.

4. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”.

5. Type "CMD" without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

6. Type the following commands at the CMD prompt and hit onEnter Key:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

7. If the above didn’t resolve the issues. Then perform the below methods.

8. If the above commands both completed and show no remaining issues, run these commands:

a) powershell

b) Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 19, 2015
  4. acrusco Win User

Is this a common issue or something, that can be fixed? Any help would be great!

acrusco, Aug 20, 2015
  5. acrusco Win User
    Bumping.. Have I stumped everyone?

acrusco, Aug 26, 2015
  6. sailor44 Win User
    I have the same problem! *Sad
    Have you solved this issue?

sailor44, Oct 7, 2015
  7. acrusco Win User
    Nope still have the issue! i don't get it! but i'm glad i'm not the only one.

acrusco, Oct 7, 2015
  8. sailor44 Win User

My winx folder appears to be fine, and the links work using the start menu. I also created another account and that account had the same issue.

sailor44, Oct 8, 2015
  9. sailor44 Win User
    And, I booted into safe mode and the result was the same! *Sleepy

sailor44, Oct 9, 2015
  10. satchmo Win User
    All those links in the menu have always worked for me.

I just tested them again now, and they still work.

Sorry, but I can't help you.

satchmo, Oct 9, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    I'm on Win10 Pro Build 10240 RTM and those mentioned links work fine for me. It's a Custom-build computer Upgraded from Win8.1. I just checked my Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop with Win10 Home Upgraded from Win7 w/SP1 and they work fine on it.

Berton, Oct 9, 2015
  12. acrusco Win User
    Well it's good to know that it's working for some people...but there are 2 of us now that have this issue.. anyone else know what this is about? it's gotta be something with the link... sailor44 did you try it on another user account? like another admin account on the same pc?

acrusco, Oct 9, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, I've not come across this one before- if you press Win key +X you should see the same popup menu. Does it behave the same way?

dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ok, try this:
    Winkey + X menu shortcuts not working in Win 8.1
    (Ignore the fact it's about Win 8.1).
    When you're using shellexview, be careful NOT to disable MS items. Otherwise you can use a 'binary chop' approach to try to identify culprits, starting by disabling all but MS items.

dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  15. sailor44 Win User
    I know. I have another win 10 machine and they work fine there. Trying to figure out if there is something in the bios that is interrupting the action here...*Confused

sailor44, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Right click start button - some links do not work - Similar Threads - Right click start

2. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  3. Start button right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button right click: Windows 11 updated. Right click on the 'Start Button' does not respond at all. It is disabled. Left click has no issuesPlease advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-right-click/9f12bb06-5418-4b0c-b663-30178b749a3c
  4. Cannot right click on Windows Start Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot right click on Windows Start Button: Hi there.I am running a fully updated copy of Windows 10 Pro x64.Around about 15th December my PC had some kind of issue that caused about 4 different problems.I have been able to fix them all except for one.When I right click the Windows Start Button the context menu refuses...
  5. Start Button, Search Bar, and Right Click no longer working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Button, Search Bar, and Right Click no longer working: Hi Everyone! I just started using Windows 10 last week for the first time (Windows 7 for a decade at this point). I purchased one of those HP EliteDesk ultra small form factor PCs. Everything was working fine as I was starting to move files over from another PC as well as...
  6. Start button right-click does not work (again)..

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button right-click does not work (again)..: Dear All, I presume some of you are familiar with the start button right click failure. I run Windows 2004, version 20175.1000 (pre-release 200717.1349). The failure of the right-click to work on the start button is an issue I've faced a few times. I have already visited...
  7. Windows 10 start button right click does not work.

Windows 10 start button right click does not work.: Windows 10 start button right click does not bring up the options menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-button-right-click-does-not-work/5f695c82-fc35-4dfe-b401-f81beeff1c30
  8. start button right click menu

start button right click menu: when I right click on the start button, nothing happens, no menu. Also, when I start windows, I get this error: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows". The two things happened about the same time, not sure if...
  9. Start button (except left click) and others dont work with right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button (except left click) and others dont work with right click: Using window 10 and everything was fine and one day lost the icon tray when right clicking the start button. Did a sfc scannow and came up: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log...
  10. In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work: Hi, Win 10 Pro x64 1709 16299.19 Not sure whether this is the place to report this.. Many of the links in the Admin right click Start Menu do not work. This was not always the case but a while back (before 1709) it just stopped. Ones that don't work are.....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Right click start button - some links do not work