Windows 10: Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

Discus and support Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied" in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to backup a directory on my laptop to my NAS with a script : robocopy D:\Videos "Z:\Shared Videos" /MIR /XJ When I run the script, I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by monoceros, May 31, 2017.

1. monoceros Win User

Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

I'm trying to backup a directory on my laptop to my NAS with a script :
    robocopy D:\Videos "Z:\Shared Videos" /MIR /XJ

When I run the script, I get the error message "Access is denied." However, in the File Explorer I can drag-and-drop files to the NAS. Also with iPhone and iPad no problem to access the files on the NAS.

How can I solve this ?

:)

monoceros, May 31, 2017

2. Copy NTFS permissions to a NAS with Robocopy

Hello,

I'm actually using Robocopy to copy a "home" folder with NTFS permissions to a NAS Synology. All theses equipment are on the domain, that will be named XXXXX in this post.

The permissions on the "home" folder are explicit, and not inherited from the parent folder. Also note that the SYNOLOGY NAS have the Windows Permissions activated.

The goal is to create a backup of this "home" folder to the NAS with the permissions.

Here is the Robocopy script that i'm using :

------------

set rep_log=C:\Script\log

set rep_sync_DATA=\\SRV1\e$\home\

set rep_sync_NAS=\\NAS-SYNOLOGY01\test01\backup\home\

robocopy %rep_sync_DATA% %rep_sync_NAS% /MIR /SEC /ZB /NP /XF thumbs.db /R:2 /W:5 /log:%rep_log%\Synchronisation_backup_nas.txt

-----------

The Robocopy script works well, and the files are well copied. EXCEPT one. On my "home" source folder, we can find on the permission list the XXXXXX\Administrators group. (explicit permission)

But, unfortunately, once the folder is copied to the NAS, it change the XXXXX\Administrators group to NAS-SYSNOLOG01\Administrators. This folder take the local domain of the NAS instead of my AD domain.

Please note that this "domain change" is only applied to this group, and the others lambda groups are not impacted by this strange change. (example XXXXXX\Sales group on source folder will be copied as XXXXXX\Sales to the destination)

The same script works perfectly if the destination is a USB HDD for example. It only happens if I want to copy to the NAS.

Any idea to fix this issue ? I faced this issue twice, with SYNOLOGY and with NETAPP technology. Whatever soft I tried to copy (robocopy or others), the result is the same...

Thanks for your potential help Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied" :)

Sébastien

Sébastien_980, May 31, 2017
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, May 31, 2017
  4. Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

Have you tried running as administrator?

cyberrufus, Jun 1, 2017
  5. Or mapping drive before running command.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

1. Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied" - Similar Threads - Robocopy backup NAS

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. robocopy to nas mss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy to nas mss: Windows 10 Pro in workgroupam trying to run cmd line to move filesGet system error 58 has occurredwhat is correct way to also add password for share?net use r: \\192.168.1.111\files /user:192.168.1.111\adminafter have R:, would like to run robocopy to move files from R: to S:...
  5. robocopy to nas mss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    robocopy to nas mss: Windows 10 Pro in workgroupam trying to run cmd line to move filesGet system error 58 has occurredwhat is correct way to also add password for share?net use r: \\192.168.1.111\files /user:192.168.1.111\adminafter have R:, would like to run robocopy to move files from R: to S:...
  6. robocopy to nas mss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  8. Backup to NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to NAS: Hello! I want to save my Windows backup to my NAS but i am running access to it without credentials, and that dosnt work for Windows Backup. The backup feature wants credentials but i dont have any. Typing Guest/Guest dosnt work, it just says i need full permission but i...
  9. Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.: I want to run Robocopy to copy my Money 2005 file every shutdown, I know Money has a backup facility but when my wife runs Money on her laptop (Using Homegroup) there is always a backup conflict with my PC and if I open Money and try to backup I get the same problem in...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. robocopy nas access denied

2. synology robocopy

3. we have access but in robocopy we are getting access denied error

4. robocopy access is denied windows explorer access,
  5. robocopy access denied nas,
  6. robocopy wont copy to nas address