Windows 10: Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall?

Discus and support Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the new fall update installed yesterday, the windows button was completely broken, calculator wouldn't even open, file explorer took a very long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tannim, Oct 18, 2017.

1. tannim Win User

Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall?

After the new fall update installed yesterday, the windows button was completely broken, calculator wouldn't even open, file explorer took a very long time to open, everything opened very slowly, two processes were permanently using 13% of my i7-6700 cpu, and there was poor performance all around.I managed to get into settings eventually and roll back the update, which solved every problem instantly.

Now Windows graciously decided to automatically download and schedule an installation for that same broken update.Is there any way I can stop the install and prevent it from installing again so soon?

I have to reset to go to bios try and figure out why my cpu fan no longer stops spinning as well. It used to stop spinning when the cpu was cool enough, which was 90% of the time before the update.

:)

tannim, Oct 18, 2017
  2. EdCaffrey Win User

Desktop Icons problem after installing fall update

After spending far too much time trying to fix things and looking for answers, I just rolled back my computer to before the fall creator's update.... now everything functions as it should.

MS must have rushed the update..... they seemed to have missed a lot of issues.

EdCaffrey, Oct 18, 2017
  3. deltam Win User
    Windows Hello - Alienware 17 R4

I asked Tobii why those "Not available" is there too. Haven't heard back yet. The OS version is up to date (see the last of what I wrote). The top one is pulled from Tobii's "about" which shows 0 instead of 98.

The Tobii device works perfect for everything else, all it's Windows Interactions and gaming.

It's jus the Windows 10 Hello that apparently got broke with the Fall update. Some people are rollowing back that update, setting up Windows Hello then update to the Fall update (which works). But I can't roll back as it was a clean install from that Fall
    update.

deltam, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall?

You can click on advanced options in Windows Update and stop Feature Updates .Are you still on Windows 7?

Josey Wales, Oct 18, 2017
  5. tannim Win User
    I see no such option in advanced options in the windows update page.

I am on windows 10, I just never got around to editing the profile to say otherwise.

tannim, Oct 18, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    What version of Win 10 are you on? Hold the WIN KEY and Press "R", type winver and enter.

f14tomcat, Oct 18, 2017
  7. Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall? [​IMG]

If you are on Windows 10 Pro you can use Group Policy to do it.

Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall? [​IMG]

8. tannim Win User

Sadly, there is no Group Policy on my system. There is also no defer feature update option on my system and never has been. I do not believe windows 10 home has such options.

tannim, Oct 18, 2017
  9. tannim Win User
    I am on version 1703 15063.674

tannim, Oct 18, 2017
  10. That is why you should take the time to fill out your system specs so you do not waste members time., 15063 ,674 has that option you just have to look for it Windows update is basically the same for the first 3 builds of Windows 10. Look for Advanced Options.

11. Bree New Member
    Correct. Home has no gpedit, and no option to defer updates.

All versions, Home or Pro can hide an update, this includes the Features Updates like the one to 1709.

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

12. CADesertRat, Oct 18, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

It ends with...
    That is what's in is the tutorial I linked to in post #9. My 'System Two' in my specs below has system images for all versions from 1507 up to 1709. I use it to help answer support question here. I use wushowhide to stop the early versions upgrading themselves automatically while I'm running them - but still allowing me to check for updates and keep them up to date. As Woody says "works great".

14. Agreed, but I was also under the impression that Settings>Update>Advanced was also on Pro & Home ( Mine is Pro so that's what I used so far to stop 1709 until I'm ready ). The OP said he didn't see it on his Home version so I posted the article.
    Possibly redundant?

CADesertRat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Rolled back Fall Update after it broke too much, stop auto reinstall? - Similar Threads - Rolled Fall Update

2. Windows 11 auto download after roll back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 auto download after roll back: I upgraded to windows 11 around 4-5 days ago, now I have rolled back to windows 10 due to some performance issues but now when I open the windows update settings it is showing "downloading windows 11". And there is no option to stop it for now I have paused the updates. Is...
  3. Windows 11 auto download after roll back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 auto download after roll back: I upgraded to windows 11 around 4-5 days ago, now I have rolled back to windows 10 due to some performance issues but now when I open the windows update settings it is showing "downloading windows 11". And there is no option to stop it for now I have paused the updates. Is...
  4. Windows 11 auto download after roll back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Today’s Windows Update broke everything. How to roll back?: Today I allowed a Windows update to run & restart my Lenovo laptop. At restart my bluetooth quit working. Troubleshooting stated Bluetooth wasn’t available. I was using BT speakers daily before the update. I decided to Shut Down then restart. Now the start up process doesn’t...
  6. Laptop stuck in auto repair after rolling back version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop stuck in auto repair after rolling back version: Split from this thread. So I updated windows 10, then my disk drive sd card teader no longer existed and I tried everything to repair it. I am not technically qualified, but i can follow directions. One of the options was to uninstall the upgraded version to revert back ti...
  7. Update broke computer, unable to roll back

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update broke computer, unable to roll back: Today, I updated my computer. The update made me unable to login. I know how I am supposed to be able to roll back the update: Boot into recovery mode, then select uninstall update. However, it asks for my Microsoft Account password to do that. When I provide the password,...
  8. Fall update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update broke my computer: Tiêu Chuẩn Chọn Mua Giấy Dán Kính Chống Nắng Cách Nhiệt Nhiều người hiện nay nghe nhiều đến cái tên phim cách nhiệt. Tuy nhiên họ lại không biết nên chọn mua phim cách nhiệt tại đâu để đảm bảo chất lượng và an toàn. Vì vậy giấy dán kính chống nắng tphcm hôm nay sẽ bật mí cho...
  9. How to update after rolling back

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to update after rolling back: So I rolled back the 393 build to the 372 build. Windows is smart enough to not re-update me to 393 when Windows check for updates. There should be a check box or something to allow the update. So now I want to go to 393 again but WU is not seeing it. How do I force it ?...
  10. Fall update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update broke my computer: Hi everyone, a bit desperate here. I installed that Fall update last night and thought my computer was a bit slower than usual so i cancelled it and got back to my original build. Now my computer is all messed up. Launch programs won't launch, i can't launch any program...