Windows 10: router help

Discus and support router help in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; is it possible someone can tell me where to go and get help with a router setup. I bought a used router off ebay and I think I need software . I am a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ben Daniels, Dec 15, 2016.

1. router help

is it possible someone can tell me where to go and get help with a router setup. I bought a used router off ebay and I think I need software . I am a total dummy when trying this. The type is a Linksys mod. WRT54G v5.
    Thanks
    Ben

:)

Ben Daniels, Dec 15, 2016

2. WiFi Router help

Sammyy---01, Dec 15, 2016
  3. farby Win User
    farby, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

router help

You don't need anything more than a web browser to configure a router
    • Power it on
    • Press and hold the reset button on it for 15-20 seconds
    • Plug a network cable from your computer to a LAN port on the router
    • Open command prompt and type ipconfig and make note of the gateway address
    • Open a web browser and type in the gateway ip address
    • Enter the default user and password ususally admin/admin or admin/<blank> or admin/pass
    • Configure away

Things you should configure
    • change the administration password
    • disable remote administration (wireless is fine as long as you secure wireless with WPA2)
    • Enable wireless security WPA2 with a good password 10+ in length

Neemobeer, Dec 15, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Dec 15, 2016
  6. maarkr Win User
    i used to have one of those years ago... good router but like said above, it's a G and not an N router.

maarkr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

router help

1. router help - Similar Threads - router help

2. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  3. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!: Someone else set up my router connection. now I need to add another device. How do I find my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-router-password-now-i-need-to-add-a-new/e4057ba4-04c0-4f4b-8945-4dfad3394e65
  4. lost my router password. Now I need to add a new device. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...: I just bought this laptop a month ago and i think the problem is with the laptop not router because on my phone the 5G speed is also around 100 mbps but suddenly the Speed dropped to 5 mbps....
  6. I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...

I need some help. Yesterday I connected to my router, it has 4G and 5G network. I usually...: I just bought this laptop a month ago and i think the problem is with the laptop not router because on my phone the 5G speed is also around 100 mbps but suddenly the Speed dropped to 5 mbps....
  7. Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me?: Split from this thread. Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorry-i-can-not-connect-my-dell-computer-to-our/2fb8e96d-ef46-4456-9076-fe32aa444c3e
  8. Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me?

Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me?: Split from this thread. Sorry, I can not connect my dell computer to our homes router, can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorry-i-can-not-connect-my-dell-computer-to-our/2fb8e96d-ef46-4456-9076-fe32aa444c3e
  9. Help with Windows Network with Two Routers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with Windows Network with Two Routers: I'm struggling to setup my home network using a new router I just bought, and could really use some help. The basic architecture is I have a cable model plugged into a Netgear router in my office. That is hardwired to a few devices and has an ethernet cable running to my...
  10. Would a new router help?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Would a new router help?: My TPLink Archer C8 router is about 6 years old, it's supposed to provide 1300Mbps link on the 5GHz 802.11ac wifi, but the best I ever get (from 15ft away) on my laptop with Intel AC9560 is 886.7Mbps. I have visited the Intel sites to verify my laptop adapter settings are...